Flowers 2012 (Photoclubalpha Phlora!)

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Flowers 2012 (Photoclubalpha Phlora!)

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

That's interesting about the Camellia, how they used the leaves too make tea, I never knew that.
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Here's one from our garden - been out for a few days, a couple of them, seem to last well in the present conditions:
flower-january.jpg
flower-january.jpg (213.9 KiB) Viewed 5124 times
Winter in Scotland! A77 16-50mm SSM.
David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

That’s a pretty little posy for winter time just south of the arctic circle David; you might be able to grow sub-tropicals next summer. :roll:
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:That's interesting about the Camellia, how they used the leaves too make tea, I never knew that.
The sazanka (what it is called in Japanese) are ubiquitous around here. Often you seen them planted as hedges.
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

No actual flowers here. Maybe this should be in a separate thread named "Once and Future Flora".

Fragility in the snow.

The scrub oaks dance.

Seed-head rosettes.
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

Just a couple more:

Waiting for spring.

Sorry, couldn't think of a good caption! :)
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Very artistic jcoffin, looks like there are buds just waiting to burst forth after the frost is finished, I sortof like the rosettes one but don't ask me why.
Greg
ps there are some artifacts around the tops on the last one...maybe sRGB not used perhaps?
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Hi jcoffin,

You are really on a roll here! :-)

As I thought I said in my previous post, which is lost somewhere in the great digital void called /dev0 thanks to a not so compatible Google plug-in, I like the "Seed-head rosettes" image the most. The well lit golden twigs stand out really good against the dark black and blue background. Really like that composition.

I also like the first image, although it would've been perfect if you manage to get the plants in the lower right corner and shadows in the top right corner out of the image. I see why it would've been an issue when shooting and framing the image, but PP can help in those occasions.

Really good compositions for both!

I'm a little bit worried about what I see in nature here this winterseason. Temperatures are really warm for this time of year. I see flowers blooming now which would normally appear in late march. I see trees growing buds all over the place which would normally be dead or dying due to frost and snow. Doesn't seem right, does it? Now I know nature will cope, but I'm really curious what will happen in spring this year!

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Mark
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I saw an article some time ago about the insects and such hatching out a month early and causing great problems for migratory birds that arrive at the correct time for them to hatch at the normal time only to find that there is very little to eat...big problems for them.
Greg
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

Greg Beetham wrote:ps there are some artifacts around the tops on the last one...maybe sRGB not used perhaps?
I'm not sure --I've been playing around with Bibble, AfterShot Pro and LightRoom 4, and to be entirely honest, I'm not even sure which that came from, not to mention what settings I used. It looks like by the time I got to that last one, my attention was wandering a bit. When/if I get a chance, I'll upload a corrected version.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Nice January flower DK. As Mark also observes, the mild weather is making things appear early.

I like your more wintry plants Jcoffin, especially the curved grass stalks :) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

jcoffin wrote: The scrub oaks dance.

Seed-head rosettes.
Those are 2 fine photos. Good work!

Might make a good photo thread theme: Pairs
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

Thanks for the kinds words Mark, Birma, Henry, and Greg. I really appreciate it/them.
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

Oops. Somehow ended up with a duplicate post, and there doesn't seem to be a way to delete it. Well, I guess I'll take that as a sign from the Internet Gods that I should post another picture or two! :)

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi David,

That's a lovely Marigold. The ones in the garden here seem to be happy in the winter climate as well.

Hi Jcoffin, : )

Nice shots all. I agree with Henry that the 'Scrub Oaks dance' an the 'Seedhead rosettes' make for special shots with their dual subjects that mirror each other. Good perception.

The last shot is especially nice with its colour palette and lant type. The chaotic abstract formation pf the growth is very attractive.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz