Flowers 2010

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Flowers 2010

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Wow that Wisteria is prolific Yildiz, :) it would be rather difficult to photograph such a plant I think, I like that last one especially, (the first is nice as well, the middle one has a bit of a congested background perhaps but it does graphically demonstrate the nature of the plant), it shows an isolated bunch in sharp relief so you can get a good idea of it's arrangement.
Does the Wisteria produce any fragrance?
Greg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you Greg, :)

Wisterias a re prolific yet don't last as long as I would want them to. For a month or so they make the periperal wall of the garden look very lovely and colourful. And they don't have much of a fragrance. We should plant leilacs and white jasmines and some other flower types for prolonged frangrance in the garden. It would be nice to have a sweet scent in the air everytime the wind cieculated around our place and moved the scents to here and there.

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Beautiful wisteria Yildiz - it is a lovely colour - your garden has really sprung to life :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you Birma,

It's pretty warm in Istanbul right now, so I guess with all that extra light and energy from the sun's warmth, plants are in a fast transition into blooming phase. :D They are like a big chorus...

Yildiz
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Azalea blooming, shot with SAL50M28 + HVL-MT24AM
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dr. Harout

Hyacinth
A700 + SAL50M28 + HVL-MT24AM

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Amazing texture details Dr. Harout.

You have put the new flash to good use. No burning highlights or distracting dark shadows.
I like the vivid blue of the hyacinth, while the azalea's spiralling petal buds are enchanting with the blending colours.

Yildiz
Dr. Harout

Thanks Yildiz.

Flickr
sury

Unread post by sury »

That Azalea is fantastic Dr. Harout.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
sury

Unread post by sury »

Continuing with macro theme. This is a two image stack using Photoshop 7. I tired different stacking software without much luck. This is with A900 and Vivitar 90mm/f2.5 hand held yesterday in the backyard. I had two images with one having flower on top in focus and the second one with flower on bottom in focus.

With best regards,
Sury

UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Birma wrote:One of my favourite threads last year was Blossomville. Well, the blossom is not here in Worcester yet, but the Trees thread inspired me to try and start a similar one going around flowers. I thought by just saying "flowers" I would also include those in the Southern hemisphere whose blooms will be in a later part of the annual cycle.
I normally do not take photos of flowers, but this thread prompted me to do so today while waiting for a table at a cafe here in Southern California. The restaurant has planted a variety of flowers outside their building, so I took a number of handheld shots with my A700 just to pass the time - thanks to this thread.

All of these images were taken with a KM 28-75 lens on the A700. Although I almost always shoot RAW+JPG, and normally work with the RAW files, these images are the JPG versions, using the camera's Landscape mode with Saturation bumped to +1.

I have no idea of the names of various flowers, as I have never really bothered to learn them. This is a bit embarrassing, since my grandfather had a University degree in Botany and worked all of his life as a florist. However, I am an engineer by profession, and I tend to lump flowers into two categories, very pretty and not-so-pretty. :wink:

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Attachments
Flowers-705971.jpg
(190.47 KiB) Downloaded 1052 times
Flowers-705979.jpg
(240.44 KiB) Downloaded 1052 times
Flowers-705983.jpg
(225.47 KiB) Downloaded 1052 times
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Here are three more images from the same flower bed as the photos above.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Attachments
Flowers-705996.jpg
(243.05 KiB) Downloaded 1052 times
Flowers-705991.jpg
(205.6 KiB) Downloaded 1052 times
Flowers-705989.jpg
(234.07 KiB) Downloaded 1052 times
Dr. Harout

Thanks Sury.
Tom, wonderful shots for a first-time-flower-shooter.

Flickr
sury

Unread post by sury »

Tom,
Now why could I not get such good photos? Just kidding. I like the second set better than the first one. The first flower in the first set seems over exposed on my monitor. As for flowers go, I use the same principle as single malt whiskeys. There is no such thing like a bad flower. It is just some you like and some you don't. :D

With best regards,
Sury
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

sury wrote:I like the second set better than the first one. The first flower in the first set seems over exposed on my monitor.
Hello Sury,

That image is definitely very bright. I had taken a quick look at the histogram of the JPG file before I uploaded it, but since Lightroom did not show any clipping, and the histogram was fairly centered, I did not bother to adjust the image before uploading it.

As a result of your comment, I went to the RAW file and adjusted the exposure, brightness and contrast to get the image below. On my system it looks better, but that may not be true on yours.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Attachments
Flowers-705983-2.jpg
(98.95 KiB) Downloaded 1045 times