Sigma 17-35 and Sony A99M2

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Sigma 17-35 and Sony A99M2

Unread post by sury »

These are from a trip to our neighborhood elementary school. The clouds were hanging low and I tried to take
some photos with an anchor in the foreground as JT suggested. All of them have been bracketed.

Sury

Not this one though...

But these are...

Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Sigma 17-35 and Sony A99M2

Unread post by aster »

They certainly are looking dramatic and sombre especially with that strange tree trunk in the foreground. I like the clouds/sky in the last one, creating an atmosphere of doomsday.
Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
sury

Unread post by sury »

Thank you YIldiz. I am experimenting. That is my excuse. :lol:

A few more...

jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by jbtaylor »

I like the last one.
Which one do you like most?
More importantly, how much time did you have to compose. I ask only because these look like near misses.
One thing I notice about your work is that you are not shy about discussing your technique. I don't recall the same passion for composition.
Is there a trade off in time for figuring the things you have to do in setting up the shot versus seeing the image and what it means to you?
It's a trick question I know. But it's one worth answering.
I always look forward to your work. You are more dedicated than I.
JT
sury

Unread post by sury »

JT,
You raise an important question and let me answer it. I want to assure you that I am not hurt or offended by the question.

I have mentioned it previously few times. My Achilles heel is that I do not have creative bone.
I am blessed with appreciation for all things creative, but cursed with lack of talent for anything creative.
My way of compensating such lack is to try excel in techniques. On the other hand, most of friends
have that eye for composition. I know either you have it or you don't. And I don't. Anything close to a good composition
to me is a serendipitous success. In that context, a near miss is as good a success as I can hope to have.
Time would be a factor, if only I knew what the picture ought to be.
That is one of the reasons I appreciate any feedback because that gives me another PoV to consider in the future. Y
our point about having a foreground anchor for WA is a technique I try to remember but could not conceive a composition on my own
if my life were to depend on it.
It is a honest self aware observation and not feeling sorry for myself, I hasten to add.
Usually, people who have appreciation for creativity, tend to have some talent too. In my case, the ball was dropped half way through. :lol:

Sury
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Sury,

I'm trying to catch up on about 2 years of ignoring this part of the board, so excuse me for re-opening something over a year old.

You sell yourself short. I know, as we are very much "twins" in this regard. As an engineer, you are no doubt very creative, albeit that may be stacking several known processes into a new order to create something different. Lots of engineering is just that! On the other hand, most inventions are from engineers, they created a new process.

Art, on the other hand, is from the opposite side of the brain, and those of us with an engineer's mind have a hard time traversing the neural pathways to get there.

Don't ask me to pick your drapes, or choose a color scheme, but I will enjoy a good one someone picks out. Do however, ask me to figure out how to stuff 100 more horsepower into your golf cart!

Like you, I appreciate the beauty around me, especially in nature. God works both sides of His brain in perfect harmony!

I'm often told by my friends and family that they can't understand how someone like me with poor eyesight and no artistic abilities can create such good photos. That's because photography has a lot of technical elements, which we have both pretty much mastered. I've taken photos that were used in high dollar ad campaigns, but someone else did the creative to make the whole ad eye popping.

In short, don't sell yourself short!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
sury

Unread post by sury »

Dusty,
Thank you for your kind words and welcome back after your hiatus. Hopefully we will see you here more often.
How is that A700 working for you? :D

With best regards,
Sury
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

The 700 is doing just fine. I did have a bit of GAS recently, as noted in the Equipment section, so I hope to put some different lenses on it and try it out with them. The one drawback with the 700 is finding CF cards. I was wondering if anyone has any experience using the CF to SD converters in a camera. I can find SD cards everywhere and they are cheap as well. Part of the problem is me. If I have something special on my media - like family members who have passed - I tend to put them away and not reuse them, even if I have 3 backup copies.

Likewise, I find my new situation precludes my using DSLRs as much as I would like, as they are too burdensome to lug around when I'm a counselor to a pack of young rug rats, and when I'm doing maintenance, my hands are generally too nasty to touch one! I guess I just have to discipline myself to purposely use them more often.

Maybe that ultra-wide will help me to do that. I'm already pleased with the CZ 16-80 the little that I've used it.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).