Channeling Sury

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Channeling Sury

Unread post by jbtaylor »

I dipped into the toolbox and dug out the 4 stop ND filter and combined it with a circular polarizer filter to try and find a way to show the chaotic world we are living in. Lofty goals but mediocre shots. Still...
The wind was gusting 40+

sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Channeling Sury

Unread post by sury »

Very eerie shots, the last two JT. Now that we are going to get some bright days, I should dust off my CPLs, Variable GND filters too. :)
I seem to have misplaced my reverse GND filter. Have to find out where I kept it and do some sunsets.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
jbtaylor

Reverse GND?
What the hell is that? (insert happy face here)
sury

Unread post by sury »

It is a Graduated ND filter but... It is dark in the middle and gets lighter gradually on both edges. Typically used (to the best of my knowledge) for sunrises, and sunsets, where you would put the dark band where sun is, and get a "even" exposure of the landscape.

Examples here.
https://digital-photography-school.com/ ... ty-filter/
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi, JBTaylor;

I can feel the wind and can imagine the roaring of sounds as bamboos bend and straighten again and again and like the overall effect you achieved. I'd be happy to see such images on my walls in oversized versions…
I find the upper two eerie and sense a wicked thought behind positioning the tree trunk right in the middle … like the generics of a horror movie that will have that particular trunk as one of its main character…

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
jbtaylor

Thanks Yildiz.
Deserted golf course had only the wind to offer. I took it.

sury

Unread post by sury »

Interesting shots JT. First one in this set for me.

Sury
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi, JBTaylor;

I like them both with the first having more wind effects showing thus more of what you were after. The place looks more like a farm's backyard with barns than an isolated golf course. :)
I like the raised blue water tank that stands among trees like an alien. You sought to capture odd elements within the same context and they look nicely blended.

Strangely, these days wind is the only thing that can move freely while allowed to move others too...such are the times nowadays.

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
jbtaylor

Sury, they are the same picture. Or at least two attempts at the same effect.
Yildiz, that section of holes was built on a farm. The maintenance crew works out of the farmhouse. People use the closed course as a walking trail. I had to wait for a family to pass before taking the tower shots. They asked what I was photographing. Had to explain myself because why would anyone take a picture of some trees and a gaudy blue water tower.