Bokeh and Flash

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Bokeh and Flash

Unread post by sury »

I have posted photos in Gloom and Bloom thread where I used flash to cut off the "distracting" background during day time using inverse square law of light fall off with flashes.
Now I have taken up another experiment that is almost a blasphemy in some circles. I have used CZ135f1.8 lens and a flash. Yes a flash. My thinking was that using a flash on that lens means no bokeh at all. I had some flowers in a not so brightly lit area and took it upon as a challenge to get the bokeh the lens is supposed to give without underexposing the image. And at the same time use flash and not destroy the bokeh in the image. If I am not making sense, trust me, that is par for the course for me. :lol:
Used the flash to cut off the background, used the flash to softly lit the background without damaging the bokeh by not overwhelming flash. Found another use for HSS flash.

Here is the reference image. CZ135f1.8 at f3.2 and the expected bokeh.

This is with HVL20 on camera shutter at 1/250s (max sync speed). Bokeh is pleasant no where close to the first one, IMHO.

This one is using HVL58 in high speed sync mode at shutter speed of 1/320s f5.6. It took few tries but got the hand of it.

Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Bokeh and Flash

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Interesting experiment.
First seems best to me as the flash looks more like natural light.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

JT,
First is the reference image without flash. Perhaps, my WB needs to be adjusted in images 2 and 3 where flash is used. Hmm!!!

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by jbtaylor »

My bad. Reading comprehension is not my bag baby.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hmm, I think the flash is causing either under exposure or over exposure. I'm not so sure about the impact of the direct flash light on a smooth bokeh.
If you can achieve the ambient light quality of the first photo for the flash-lit ones, I think you'll be fine. Bokeh, maybe related to the quality and type of lens, maybe, rather than the amount of light provided for the exposure? :)

Thanks for sharing your Fall Off experimentations, Sury.
Yildiz