Snow Monkeys at Jigokudani, Japan

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Snow Monkeys at Jigokudani, Japan

Unread post by bakubo »

In January 2020 during the last trip we went on before the coronavirus pandemic hit we spent 3 weeks traveling in Nagano-ken in Japan. One of the places we went was to Jigokudani to see the Snow Monkeys. It had been exactly 50 years since I had first seen them in Life magazine and I always wanted to go. After all these years I finally got around to it. Here are a few photos (remember that animal photography is not my primary interest):

http://www.bakubo.com/Galleries%202/Jap ... index.html

Here are just 3 from the album:

Here is the cover of the January 30, 1970 issue with a Snow Monkey. I was just 13 years old when I saw it, but finally in January 2020 I got there to see them. :-)
Japan_snow_monkey_Life.jpg
Japan_snow_monkey_Life.jpg (198.12 KiB) Viewed 7975 times
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Snow Monkeys at Jigokudani, Japan

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Magic.
JT
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Wow. Superb, as always Henry. Just superb.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Thank you. Hard to believe that it took me exactly 50 years to get there. It is rather inconvenient because it is out of the way, far away from Tokyo and other big cities, and I wanted to go in winter when there is snow. In the winter when it is cold is when the mountain monkeys like to come down to the onsen (hot spring) to soak in the hot water. I don't have a bucket list, but if I did then this was something that would have been on it. I am not joking, I have thought about this for 50 years ever since seeing that Life magazine cover. Over the years I have talked about it to several people, including my wife, many times.

About 20 years ago a Canadian buddy in Vancouver mentioned to me how he had seen the cover of a magazine when he was a kid that had a snow monkey in Japan. He was surprised that I knew exactly the magazine he was talking about. :lol: He also said he had always wanted to see them. He passed away a few years ago though without having the chance.
Fotogeorge
Heirophant

Unread post by Fotogeorge »

Beautiful captures of the human-like emotions, in the faces of the monkeys.
KM7D, Sony A350, A580, A-700, A57, A65, A5100 , a6500 , & a7iii, plus a bunch of lenses.
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

Nice!
Everything in the life unusual!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Thank you!

It was cool to see them. They loved soaking in the hot natural spring water. And they would hang around there in the steam to stay warm even when they weren't in the water.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Talk about childhood dreams realizing!

Very nice shots, Bakubo.

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Thank you, Yildiz!

It sure was great to finally see them. The only other traveling we have done in 2020 is we flew up to Sapporo in September and stayed a couple of months.

Fingers crossed the vaccines start getting us back to a somewhat more normal life and travel in a few more months!