Pigeon Point Light House, Pescadero, California

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Pigeon Point Light House, Pescadero, California

Unread post by sury »

Recently I visited Pigeon Point Light House in Pescadero, California to catch the last of Milky Way for the year.
Here are some photos from that visit. You can get more info. on the location in the link below. Lens is Sigma 17-35 on A99M2
and tripod.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=533

Most of these are HDR and/or HDR Panos there is one which is a straight pano and perhaps one or two that are single frames.
Sunset

Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
smulnik
Grand Caliph

Re: Pigeon Point Light House, Pescadero, California

Unread post by smulnik »

Beautiful sunset! I really like the second shot. I also like the ambience of the wood fence/railing in the first shot but unfortunately it hides the shoreline. I’m guessing that an angle with the fence, the shoreline, and the sunset wasn’t functionally possible. Oh well, we take what we can get, right?

I visited the link, and the lighthouse looks pretty cool! We don’t have those here in the midwest. :| I think I need to move to the coast. :)

Sig
A7 III - A99 - NEX 7 - A900 - A100 - RX100 IV
sury

Unread post by sury »

Sig,
Thank you. Due to my tripod set up for the Milky Way photos (my intent for the trip), I rested the setup on a bench while taking the photos. I thought the fence added a foreground element. Good to know about different perspectives. Something to keep in mind for
my next trip. I could have gotten the shot over the fence. So in this case, it was my fault, if a fault were to be assigned. :D
Thank you for the suggestion. I am better for it.
I have not visiting this spot though I drove by it so many times. I have been living in San Jose area since 1984. :shock:

Now getting ready for the evening. It was much darker than the image suggest so all I could do was focus on the lighthouse when the top was lit. It is HDR that gave me the details.
You see the night's progression in these three images.

Sury
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

:) Sury, I'll always think of you as the photographer with the tipped horizon. I don't even wish you change that side of yours. :)

Neat beach shots and I agree with some of others' critiques but I absolutely love the blue shots of the last set with the lighthouse.

Milkyway didn't show for you?

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
sury

Unread post by sury »

Yildiz,
Thank you. Well, Milkyway did show up. I have mixed results. But most important thing I want to share is for the first time ever I tried MilkyWay Pano and Milkyway HDR Pano.

This is a HDR panorama with 3 pano slices stitched in ICE from Microsoft. Each slice is a 9 image bracketed shot
I used Deep Sky Stacker to stack the bracketed images and then stitched them in ICE followed by post processing in
LR5.7

This is processed slightly differently in Lightroom

The following is same set as above two but used Sequator to stack the images. Pano is ICE and post processing is LR5.7.

smulnik
Grand Caliph

Unread post by smulnik »

Well that's pretty cool! :D

Sig
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

smulnik wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:43 am Beautiful sunset! I really like the second shot. I also like the ambience of the wood fence/railing in the first shot but unfortunately it hides the shoreline. I’m guessing that an angle with the fence, the shoreline, and the sunset wasn’t functionally possible. Oh well, we take what we can get, right?

I visited the link, and the lighthouse looks pretty cool! We don’t have those here in the midwest. :| I think I need to move to the coast. :)

Sig
Oh, the younger generation!

Sig, when I was a kid, we would often travel to Illinois over the old Chain of Rocks Bridge (25 cent fare). If it was late on Friday night, we would see the old lighthouses lit up. They are still there today, as their main purpose was, and still is, water intakes for the City of St. Louis.

Of course, the Corps of Engineers didn't put in the low water dam to stop everyone from crashing until the 60's so it still made sense to keep them lit.

Here's a stock photo from Wikipedia.

Dusty
Attachments
Water_Intake_CoRB2.jpg
Water_Intake_CoRB2.jpg (138.59 KiB) Viewed 43444 times
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Interesting light house Dusty. And nice shots Sury. I really like the second one of the beach.
smulnik
Grand Caliph

Unread post by smulnik »

Dusty wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:54 am
Oh, the younger generation!

Sig, when I was a kid, we would often travel to Illinois over the old Chain of Rocks Bridge (25 cent fare). If it was late on Friday night, we would see the old lighthouses lit up. They are still there today, as their main purpose was, and still is, water intakes for the City of St. Louis.

Of course, the Corps of Engineers didn't put in the low water dam to stop everyone from crashing until the 60's so it still made sense to keep them lit.

Here's a stock photo from Wikipedia.

Dusty
Dusty,

As a kid, I rarely saw those water intake towers. And when I did, it was usually during the day so I never got to see them lit up. I'm sure that had to look pretty cool.

I did make a quick stop out there on the Illinois side to see the sailboat that got stuck on the low water dam a few weeks ago. Did you see it on the news? I wish I could have gotten there earlier in the day to have some light on the East side.

Sig

A7III, Sony 500mm Reflex, F8, 1/8000, ISO 2500
A7_09241.jpg
A7_09241.jpg (98.12 KiB) Viewed 42856 times
sury

Unread post by sury »

Sig,
That's a bummer, alright. Hope the passengers were all safe.

Sury