Some B&W images

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Some B&W images

Unread post by sury »

We have a lone oak tree that is the symbol of our neighborhood called Cathedral Oak (a la lone cypress tree at Pebble beach)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Cypress

These shots were taken for our neighbor who wants a 60"x40" (150cmX100cm) print. Recently I took few shots, both as
HDR that was converted to B&W and using internal preset (rich tone B&W) on my A99M2. You will see sensor dust at that resolution
that I fixed (at least tried). Well, now my camera came back from the shop with sensor professionally cleaned.

9image bracketed image composited on Machinery HDR, tweaked in LR and processed in color efx pro 4.

9image bracketed image composited on Machinery HDR, tweaked in LR

This is in-camera b&w HDR (rich tone preset)
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Some B&W images

Unread post by aster »

The more contrast-rich first one is my favourite, if you're asking for opinions, Sury. :)
The silver lining is really rich and looks great over the rolling hills.

Thanks for sharing and your neighbour has good taste.
Yildiz
sury

Unread post by sury »

There are few I took, but this is the one she selected (the second one). I tweaked it further
to punch it up knowing that is a big print she is going for, and it costs her almost US$300 just
for the print.
Thank you for the endorsement. I was going with the first one too. :D
I am agog with curiosity how it prints. I watched it on my 163cm (diagonal) TV
(150cmx80cm) and the image looks very impressive (with sensor dust and all in
the previous versions. :evil: ), IMHO. :lol:

Sury

Another point of view. In camera preset. The starburst is all Sigma 17-35 doing. That's the lens I bought after inspired by
Valery's Minolta equivalent. Did I ever say how much I love and respect the folks on this forum? :)

This is 9image bracket

I love watching this one on big screen, lens flare and all....
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by jbtaylor »

I have seen the lone pine. Even took a picture. Wasn't the treat that I thought it would be as the tourist perspective is way too common for my taste. Still, glad I got there. 17 mile drive is something that everyone should experience.
The first set is preferable with #2 being most desirable. You really tested the dynamic range of the sensor with this subject. I can imagine taking a few days to consider the task at hand and would probably take the time to go back and try again. There is a sense of peace about this place and I am glad that you got the chance to share it with us.
Regarding set #2, the star effect of the sun takes away from the tree as the main focus point. Why make them compete?
Took me 15 minutes to think about and respond to this post. Obviously you are doing something right.
Thanks.
JT
sury

Unread post by sury »

JT,
Thank you. The opportunity (seeking the shot rather than serendipitous) gave me a different perspective.
I was thinking in terms of what our friend would like (since this is an "assignment"). A constraint (or structure)
I had not considered before. Still I made some mistakes and realized them soon enough. The first mistake was
that my position in the second set (taken first) was wrong from the point of view of original vision my neighbor and I talked.
The path leading to tree should have been the perspective.

Luckily I realized it before leaving and took the second set. The price I paid was that I lost some of that dramatic lighting.
But the second set afforded me the starburst. The starburst was something I was not expecting and I was so thrilled, the
tree became "inconsequential". In that sense you are absolutely on point. Not only those two were competing, the tree lost.

The most interesting observation is that my neighbor liked the shot in the first set for one more reason. There were three birds
at 1oclock that you can see if you zoom in. Those three birds being there is what she liked. I tried to bring them out, but haven't
succeeded yet. I see they are so small in relation to the image, any tweak looks spotty and unnatural. Two, only at a large print size
one can see them.

Sury
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Sury, in my humble opinion, what JBTaylor referred about the sunburst /glare due to the used lens is not just competing unnecessarily, it's taking over the naturalistic look of the whole shot. The sunburst also is a mechanical effect whereas the rest of the beauty of the scene comes from the natural and living environment. Mechanical overtaking the natural flow of things is too much for me. This scenery is very humble with a single oak tree, a few dramatic clouds and softly curving hilltops and taking the natural away from this scene is a 'crime' against its quiet message of serenity ... :)

Just my couple of thoughts but if you hadn't posted the second series of shots we would never have had this conversation /discussion on what's excessive or not either. You provided food for thought. Thanks. :)

Thanks for sharing. Good experimenting. Keep shooting....
Yildiz
sury

Unread post by sury »

Glad to be of service. :D

Sury
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I tried that rich tone, and I think for me it's a bit too high on the contrast, so I stopped using it. Don't get me wrong I like a high contrast b&w, though not all the time. It's a bit way out there for me so I prefer to either bump up contrast in camera, or just tweak in raw
The photos do raise an interesting question about subject placement, aka the tree where to put it. I suppose it depends on what is happening elsewhere in the scene! I wrestled a bit with this on this shot from yesterday (A99 20mm 1/50s F13). I tried a few, and decided I would put the rock in the middle on the horizontal plane, but not on the vertical. I don't think it works on the rule of thirds. On the other hand the shot relies on the seam foam swirling around, as usual I'm not sure I like it - in some ways I do it's a simple shot. I kept the sky area small as I often do.

Maybe we should turn this into a B&W composition thread ;-D

Thoughts welcomed
DSC00721.jpg
DSC00721.jpg (187.3 KiB) Viewed 5217 times
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bfitzgerald wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:13 pm I tried that rich tone, and I think for me it's a bit too high on the contrast, so I stopped using it. Don't get me wrong I like a high contrast b&w, though not all the time. It's a bit way out there for me so I prefer to either bump up contrast in camera, or just tweak in raw
The photos do raise an interesting question about subject placement, aka the tree where to put it. I suppose it depends on what is happening elsewhere in the scene! I wrestled a bit with this on this shot from yesterday (A99 20mm 1/50s F13). I tried a few, and decided I would put the rock in the middle on the horizontal plane, but not on the vertical. I don't think it works on the rule of thirds. On the other hand the shot relies on the seam foam swirling around, as usual I'm not sure I like it - in some ways I do it's a simple shot. I kept the sky area small as I often do.

Maybe we should turn this into a B&W composition thread ;-D

Thoughts welcomed

Barry, you described the story of this scene and its decision-making process so well, I'll but only agree with all. Well done for keeping the skyline slim and the whirling foam show off around the only boulder therefore keeping our eyes poised towards the center of the frame. The rock and the whirling foam activity gently raise our eyes to the low hills and the narrow skyline.
Whether you listened to your instincts or years of good observation for photographic opportunities, I wouldn't want this scene any other way. It's very close to perfect as it is for me right now. Not an other dot is required anywhere on the frame... The contrast is just right so the foam details can show and propel the viewer. Sury's first photo with high contrast helped the silver lining of the clouds shine through and there was only grass in the foreground that didn't need sharp detailing but you scene based itself on the circling foam therefore this much contrast serves very well indeed.

Thank you so much for sharing. :) This thread can not only be used for B&W photography but also for photos with a central prominent lement that could be just anything that makes the scene better! :D

Yildiz
sury

Unread post by sury »

Well, the verdict is out. My neighbor selected a crop version of the second image in the first set.
We have received the 40"x60" (100.8cm x 151.2cm) fine art paper print. That is the biggest I have
ever printed. My longest has been 8"x84" ( 20cm x 211cm) panorama. This looks very beautiful on
that fine art paper and more importantly my neighbor is extremely pleased. The crop was chosen by
them too. The three bodies signify their 3 sons, the uphill, winding path signifying their life and struggles
to reach the high spot. Their words, not mine. :)

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Looks good, Sury.

The birds are more visible now that the scene is cropped. The family has a neat interpretation of the overall scene ...

Good work by you. :) Well done!
( I still enjoy the more contrasty first photo though )

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
sury

Unread post by sury »

Yildiz,
Thank you. I do tend to like the "punchy" images and I liked the contrasty one.
This was a challenge to me. My shoot sessions are more like cook something, and
depending on how it came out, name the dish. Where as this one like the dish is
already decided and I have to cook to the spec. It was certainly out of my comfort zone.

Sury
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

sury wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:29 am Yildiz,
Thank you. I do tend to like the "punchy" images and I liked the contrasty one.
This was a challenge to me. My shoot sessions are more like cook something, and
depending on how it came out, name the dish. Where as this one like the dish is
already decided and I have to cook to the spec. It was certainly out of my comfort zone.

Sury

I believe that getting out of one's comfort zone for any matter in life clears room for improvements and achievements, even if that shift is for temporary periods. One can always recall what the comfort zone was and do similar things still. :)
Change for a better perception is inevitable in life. Freedom of choice to make these decisions is precious. We must let our mind ponder on more free basis and then come the better things.
In this task you ended up with many shots with very different messages but all of them definitely said somethings to us. :)

Yildiz
sury

Unread post by sury »

Yildiz,
Thank you for your kind words. Much appreciated.

Sury