Old camera appreciation!

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Old camera appreciation!

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

bakubo wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:49 am
bfitzgerald wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:19 pm Both internal batteries on the 5d are still working, "tip" leave a battery in the camera which is what I have done. Then the internal cell doesn't discharge/charge aka wearing it out. These are old cameras now. Do the same for all the cameras I have - just once in a while charge up the battery if stored
Thanks for that tip. Many times over the years I have seen advice to remove the battery from a camera if you don't use it for a long time. My Olympus E-M10 hasn't been used for a couple of years so I long ago removed the battery. My Olympus E-M5 has not been used for even longer so I long ago removed the battery also. And I removed the battery in my Canon S95 a couple of years ago too. I removed the battery in my Olympus PEN-F about a year ago. I will put the batteries back in and fingers crossed all is okay.
Seems to work for me. I see reports of people with non working internal batteries. So I'm pretty convinced they are removing them, and the cameras are left sometimes for a good while (ie discharging the internal cell slowly). So more charge/discharge cycles on the internal battery, clearly it will wear out at some point.
None of the bodies I have which I have left the batteries in have failed internal cells. I think it works
The 5d's are from 2006 both still hold the date/time. The SLT's some of those can have some parasitic drain, so I keep an old third party one in there and just give it a charge once in a while. I've not seen the DSLR's I have used have internal drain, perhaps some do. I bet the main battery will hold the time/date and it doesn't even look at the small internal one...if the bigger one is in there. That's what I've found anyway
sury

Unread post by sury »

I did not remove the battery in all my cameras including DimageA2 last used circa 2006. Of course when I turned the camera on, the battery was dead and when I charged and put it back in, voila, everything was working. Though the battery was "dead", it had enough residual charge to keep the clock and other basic things working, I suppose.
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

The reason so many people recommend taking the lithium battery out of unused cameras is because sometimes they will start to leak and/or swell. I have seen many reports of damaged or destroyed cameras because of this.

Back in 1988 I bought my first Minolta AF SLR, the 7000i. Soon I bought the 3200i flash also. Sometime later the top of the line 5200i flash was replaced with a new one (5200xi?) so B&H reduced the price a lot on the 5200i to get rid of them. I bought one even though I rarely used flash. I had 4 AA alkaline batteries in it and didn't touch it for a year or so after the initial playing around with it. The next time I got it out it didn't work and I discovered the AA batteries had leaked and corroded the inside. :( I tried to clean it up, but could never get it working again so I threw it away.

Anyway, that is why many recommend removing the battery, but now with this alternative reason to keep it in then one just has to decide what to do. Not having unused electronic cameras is the easiest way to deal with it. :lol: But, I have multiple cameras and some I just don't use right now. I keep them for backups and also because I can't get enough for them to make up for all the hassle of trying to sell them.
bfitzgerald

bakubo wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:14 am The reason so many people recommend taking the lithium battery out of unused cameras is because sometimes they will start to leak and/or swell. I have seen many reports of damaged or destroyed cameras because of this.

Back in 1988 I bought my first Minolta AF SLR, the 7000i. Soon I bought the 3200i flash also. Sometime later the top of the line 5200i flash was replaced with a new one (5200xi?) so B&H reduced the price a lot on the 5200i to get rid of them. I bought one even though I rarely used flash. I had 4 AA alkaline batteries in it and didn't touch it for a year or so after the initial playing around with it. The next time I got it out it didn't work and I discovered the AA batteries had leaked and corroded the inside. :( I tried to clean it up, but could never get it working again so I threw it away.

Anyway, that is why many recommend removing the battery, but now with this alternative reason to keep it in then one just has to decide what to do. Not having unused electronic cameras is the easiest way to deal with it. :lol: But, I have multiple cameras and some I just don't use right now. I keep them for backups and also because I can't get enough for them to make up for all the hassle of trying to sell them.

AA's can cause problems when discharged, even the good brands. So for flashes I never leave cells in there even the Ni-MH ones
Li-ion is a bit different doesn't leak or shouldn't, and they have internal protection so the cells cut off at a low voltage, and can't be overcharged
I just top them up the odd time, doesn't seem to go down on the 5d's I have -the SLT's can sometimes seem to drop a bit even when off.

As for offloading unused stuff, tell me about it! I did manage to get rid of an old Fuji cheapo zoom bridge camera for peanuts (display had a problem it worked though). The get rid of surplus A mount stuff isn't going that well so far. I can see why people use trade in sites. I'm just not willing to let some things go for silly prices. Lot of people are trying to get rid of things from many brands, sites I look at are chock full of gear for sale
Have a feeling I'm kinda stuck with A Mount - time to shift gear was maybe 3/4 years ago. People still buy stuff, they want rock bottom prices
Don't really feel good about selling a €495 lens bought new for €135 in a trade in :shock:
sury

Unread post by sury »

I bought a second hand NEX 5 circa August 2013 with only 1200 or so clicks on it. Couple of years later I loaned it to my niece hoping she would put it to good use. I got it back on Sunday since she went with a Canon. The batteries were dead so I charged them and put it in and turned on the camera. It turned on without any hiccup and all I had to do was set the date. It has 18-55 f3.5-5.6 lens on it. Subsequently I bought LE-A1 adapter which was loaned to another friend and I am expecting it to be back tomorrow. Interim.....Flowers, in and around house.

Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
bfitzgerald

I pulled the 5d out today, the original one that works properly!
Perhaps I will keep it, dare I say for an old camera it's still got something going for it.
PICT8232-5.jpg
PICT8232-5.jpg (201.34 KiB) Viewed 63559 times
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

I just sold off the majority of my Sony gear. The only thing I still have is my old Sony A100with the 18-55 kit lens. So i guess that qualifies as "Old Camera Appreciation." Anyways, here's a shot i took this January on a family outing.

pcaDSC00661.jpg
pcaDSC00661.jpg (196.55 KiB) Viewed 61084 times
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Packed away in the States I still have my A100 and A700. Also, a bunch of A-mount lenses. Someday when I am back there I may charge the batteries and take them out to take some photos. :)
Fotogeorge
Heirophant

Unread post by Fotogeorge »

PICT0001earthquake sensor.jpg
PICT0001earthquake sensor.jpg (128.49 KiB) Viewed 60958 times
I'm still having fun with my KM7D. I set up quick image. Shot a RAW image. The earthquake sensor was slightly moving when I shot the image.
KM7D, Sony A350, A580, A-700, A57, A65, A5100 , a6500 , & a7iii, plus a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

That reminds me of some bottle openers at a shop in Hawaii in 2012. :lol:

P9120694.jpg
P9120694.jpg (178.99 KiB) Viewed 60923 times
Fotogeorge
Heirophant

Unread post by Fotogeorge »

I'd buy the opener on the bottom row. I wouldn't travel to Hawaii to buy one. It's too expensive to add to my list of things to do. I have a drawer with all kinds of tools including bottle openers. I have the now rare triangle-pointed can opener. I have the Viet Nam-era twist and cut can openers you put on a key chain or dog-tag chain. You can't carry a crank can opener into the field to open a can of Beenie Wienies. Pop-tops are now the in thing. Your post reminds me of the former PhotoCamel website. I have a big collection of wonderful model images from that website in my archives in the cloud. Many of the Camel's photographers are probably long gone. My archives are a good reference: reminded myself who was Stormy Daniels. I collect so many things and images. The Mickey photog is only one of my props in my museum. I never know what will be a useful tool.
KM7D, Sony A350, A580, A-700, A57, A65, A5100 , a6500 , & a7iii, plus a bunch of lenses.