A99 Marathon work-out

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: A99 Marathon work-out

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Who knows but I've seen complaints online, and whilst I don't always take things too seriously - it does suggest I'm not the only one who has had issues
Either way my tolerance for AF Problems is quite low, so I know the A99 is reliable at least with subjects moving towards the camera. I have not used the A99ii so can't comment - I think if I do stick around on A Mount I'll be using the A99. I've not decided if I want to keep the A77
I've not had any serious AF complaints with either. So yes I am unimpressed based on 2 days use
sury

Unread post by sury »

I agree with Valery. I have about 6000 clicks on my A77M2 Barry. I haven't used it as prolifically as my A99M2, I hasten to add.
But I did not see any issue. If you are looking for particular type of samples, I can look in my archives and
post them here. I am sure Valery will have tons of examples. May be I will power it up this week and play with it. :D

With best regards,
Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

A77-2 + Tamron 70-300

Marathon "dirty monkeys", flying from a mountain into a pile of mud. :)

I can still put a lot of photos, I do not think that this makes sense. My camera broke after 260,000 clicks ... But as it broke, the AF motor failed, everything else worked fine. Objectives like Tamron 70-300 usd, sal2470z worked flawlessly.
Everything in the life unusual!
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

This slideshow was made for the Manitoba Rhythmic Gymnastics Sports School. We used two cameras (two photographers) a99-2 and a77-2.

https://vimeo.com/316229549
bfitzgerald

Who can say all I can report is what I found. It's not that the A77ii misses all the time, it doesn't - but it does more than I would expect. Sometimes it goofs entirely, which any camera can. But I rarely had issues with any of the other A mount cameras
So it's a lot closer to the IR shooters report for me. I'm pretty much clearing out most of my APS-C stuff anyway, so I'm not that fussed. Hands down the A99 just delivered, it's enough camera for me sensor is good enough, not the best but good. AF is good, handling good/build. AF assist/GPS, 24mp is plenty all round camera it's on point for me for many things landscape/action etc etc so I'm happy with that. I don't need more than that if I'm 100% honest.

I never was nor probably never will be even if I do stick around, in the market for an A99ii. It's just overkill for me, I'm sure it's great and by all means enjoy it. APS-C was on the run down for me simply because I have too much gear and I really don't need a full APS-C system running along side a near enough complete FF one. Doesn't make any sense, though I probably will have a crop body for a while. My main system is going to be full frame
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

Basically, your movement in the right direction is the FF format. I have practically sold out all my ASP-C equipment, leaving only the old a300 and two lenses for it 16-80 and 55-200. Still, Zeiss lenses give excellent results. I am writing this to the fact that FF is great, BUT and crop cameras in many situations, if not work better, then certainly not worse.
bfitzgerald

It depends what you shoot. I see nothing wrong with an APS-C system, it can or at least was pre MILC era, fairly affordable, somewhat lighter, it could be useful if you want more reach tele end wildlife etc.
On the downsides some FF Lenses are odd field of view on crop, though still perfectly usable. As I have mostly full frame lenses it makes more sense to cut the crop stuff right down.
So I decided a while back to get rid of most of my APS-C lenses, and bodies though I need one for video and the little 30mm Macro I use a lot. Other than that and the 18-70mm which is worth nothing the other stuff has to go, Tamron/Tokina, 35mm F1.8. I've also decided I don't need the 35-70mm F4 or the beercan as I use the 100-200mm far more (smaller/lighter IQ is a wash almost the same speed). I'm hoping to go from 20 lenses down to 12 or so perhaps less.

Use the A99 as the main body and a crop camera for back up/other stuff. If I buy another A99? If I stick around I probably would as prices are improving
Otherwise it's a long road to offloading all this stuff, which is why so far I've not changed systems. Putting it up for sale and actually getting it sold are 2 different things ;-D.
bfitzgerald

I did another quick 1 mile run with the A99, again performance was on target no complaints
DSC00331.jpg
DSC00331.jpg (140.13 KiB) Viewed 29308 times
DSC00376.jpg
DSC00376.jpg (103.08 KiB) Viewed 29308 times
I sold the A77ii to MBP and got a fair price, I also offloaded the Tamron 17-50mm to start reducing the APS-C stuff I have
Still have the A77 first version/A6300 as a back up camera. Ultimately I can see me sticking around for a bit, purely because selling A Mount stuff is so slow (selling any SLR stuff seems to be tons of it around Canikon too). A99 just gets the job done, has the GPS I also use and the AF assist for low light. Shame it doesn't have a built in flash, that's something I can live with. In the future maybe I could see myself with another A99 at the right price possibly.

Moving to another system, not at this time. I'll just sit on the funds I pick up from selling items
Not really sure what the A77ii issue was, it certainly can hit focus, and sometimes just miss easy stuff - it left me feeling underwhelmed. If I can eventually offload the other crop stuff I have, I can rack up some decent funds. I'm not really sure I need anything, it's just nice to clear out things you don't need! I might take the A6300 out sometime and thr adapter to see if that is usable for these types of shots, I'm not likely to keep that long term but it serves as an OK back up despite the awkward body shape.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Wishing you many years of enjoyment with the gear Barry. By the way, I love the two shots. Especially the second one.

Sury
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Neat sets, guys! The activities look very enjoyable. :)

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
bfitzgerald

I'll take the bigger white boy out next time perhaps, see how that does
The 100-200mm is a greatly underappreciated lens, I underestimated it. If you can live with the long min focus the AF performance seems a bit better than the 70-210mm F4, and optically I think it's just as good perhaps slightly better at the top end both at F4.5, not much in it, except the beercan has somewhat smoother rendering, not that I find the 100-200mm weak though. Less CA to deal with as well. Course it's not the powerhouse the 80-200mm is, still quite a good lens and for a silly low price I think it's a winner!

Crazy compact size for it's range and F4.5 is OK in alright lighting, certainly better than being at F5.6!
DSC00322.JPG
DSC00322.JPG (163.33 KiB) Viewed 29116 times
sury

Unread post by sury »

Barry,
I have 2 copies of beer cans, if I am not mistaken. I have not used it in a while. Hmm. Next time I am on a hike, I think I will use it instead of lugging my 80-200f2.8. Thank you for reminding me. On a bright day, it should be way lighter at f5.6 or higher.

Sury
bfitzgerald

For some reason the beercan doesn't seem to track as well as the 100-200mm. Perhaps the extra weight of glass etc I am not sure. I can get some reasonable rate keepers it just isn't as responsive. It is a lens I used mainly for portraits, so the 100-200mm seems better for a "lightweight" action lens assuming F4.5 is adequate (and it is in daylight). I have yet to test the tracking on the 80-200mm in detail I would expect it to be the best of all
Yet even the 100mm Macro surprises it should be poor yet was fairly good at this pace.
I don't believe for one moment the myth that no screw drive lenses can track focus, it is true some are slower, and some much faster. Depends greatly on the lens. Yet once you have acquired focus -the lens doesn't have to move that much really. No question the A99 tracks better than the A77 first gen - which was not bad being fair.

I checked my A99 and I had AF drive set to "slow" all during this race! Interesting results
bfitzgerald

Couple more shots 80-200mm this time
DSC00763.jpg
DSC00763.jpg (106.8 KiB) Viewed 28441 times
DSC00783-2.jpg
DSC00783-2.jpg (170.74 KiB) Viewed 28441 times
DSC01100 (71).jpg
DSC01100 (71).jpg (84.79 KiB) Viewed 28441 times
sury