had an exciting night

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

had an exciting night

Unread post by Javelin »

My daughter came downstairs and commented that our neighbor put Christmas lights in his garage (he's a mechanic and works from a building near his home) I though that was odd and when I had a look for myself I realized that what she was seeing was that the building was on fire! not lights in the widow. I grabbed my jacket and ran over while she dialled the 911 emergency number. Found my neighbor inside trying to fight off the fire with fire extinguishers (man I forgot how useless those things are). between the 2 of us we used up 7 extinguishers with 1 failure before we gave up and closed up the room where the fire was and sealed it as best we could then set to removing the oxygen and acetylene bottles to where they would not be in danger. when the FD showed up we got soaked but they got it under control pretty quickly and causd a minimum of damage to the building... I went home to get a change of clothes and took this shot while I was waiting for new sox to arive via wifey. It's the first time I've used a scene mode because it was the easiest thing to do with frozen fingers.

KevinBarrett

Re: had an exciting night

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Wow, Javelin! That's a heroic effort to be sure, I don't know if I could have done what you did! Your daughter probably thinks you are a god now.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

That was a heroic thing to do.
BTW, I don't think your new title is due to your action. Congrats. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

oh my.. thanks but no heroics here ... I was a volunteer before so it's almsot second nature even though I gave it up before my training was done. this really wasn't that big a deal, it was a slow moving fire in a mostly empty storage area and in a modern building. it's just that I live in a small hamlet with maybe 20-30 other homes that are all 100+ year old wood framed houses. these houses take about 15 minutes to burn to the ground and the FD takes 1/2 hour to arrive so everyone around is very vigilant when it comes to fire. we've had 3 fires in the last 2 years counting this one while nobody's been hurt this is the only building that has survived the fire the rest were destroyed. One other fire about 2005 was a chimney fire and the FD showed and pulled their wood stove out through the wall .. but the house was saved

The Settlers for my area. were able to build quite good solid houses but they lacked the skill and knowledge to build working chimneys. as a result the only thing that kills these houses are chimney fires and it's only been the last 20 years that this has come to light. If you go to areas that were settled by people from say for exampe the Ukrain the came over with the know how to build for hard cold winters and the chineys are a lot different on those houses.
Last edited by Javelin on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

First when I saw your pics I thought, gee, they already have snow over there. Must be Canada or Alaska. Then I read your story. Well done. In our days people prefer to remain on the sofa and watch TV rather than being dragged into anything inconvenient!!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Your neighbor is very lucky that you and your daughter were able to help out. It could have been much worse.

Where are you? That sure is a lot of snow and it is only November. Here in Hawaii it is 83F/28C with partly cloudy skies. I just got back about 20 minutes ago from the beach and my daily swim in the ocean.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

bakubo wrote:Here in Hawaii it is 83F/28C with partly cloudy skies. I just got back about 20 minutes ago from the beach and my daily swim in the ocean.
Stop making us jealous!!! :? Show us some pics!I am sure Hawaii is a great place, too bad I am far away :wink:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bossel wrote:Stop making us jealous!!! :? Show us some pics!I am sure Hawaii is a great place, too bad I am far away :wink:
I don't want to hijack this thread so I started a new one with some photos. Please take a look here:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =18&t=1370
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

hah! I'm north of Toronto by about 130kms .. thats Canada so your guess was pretty good :) pretty much all this snow fell last Sunday .., well Saturday-Sunday. This isn't so common but last year was almost record breaking and we had more by this time. and it looks like this winter is going to be close. basically it snows at least a little bit every day .. doesn't necessarily accumulate much each day but it all ads up if you don't get a melt.. wait until later in the year and i'll take the same shot. the snowbank will be as high as the cab of the truck.

Bossel: It makes me sad to think that neighbors in cities never bother to know anything about each other and would prefer to hide in their houses and not lend a hand when needed. We see things like the recent disasters in the world where every single one of us is 3 days or less away from becomming animals and this isolation certainly doesn't help
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Javelin wrote:hah! I'm north of Toronto by about 130kms ..
Ha! That would be Bracebridge or Gravenhorst or so, according to google maps :mrgreen: I noticed there are many people from Toronto in the photo forums (and of cause MR of LL, IIRC). Or maybe I just notice them more b-cause my companies HQ is in Toronto and we're in contact nearly every day...
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Or, looking at the pic, it might be Dundalk, after all 8)
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

heh! yes we are a little west of Toronto as well. this area is called the Bruce peninsula and we get so much snow basically because were surrounded by these huge lakes. Prevailing weather here traveles in from the north west and always creates snow over the lakes. They call it lake effect here. but because of where we are.. also were on high ground as well no matter which other direction the weather could come from it'll still dump snow on us. Dundalk is where the fire dept is from .. actually, come to think of it, the station is in Honeywood so I have no idea why they are called Dundalk....

Call your head office again on Monday and they will probably be complaining about the snow... 1/2 listening to the radio one area near me was dumped on by 50cm last night and this morning and theres more storms forecasted that are supposed to hit Toronto too. Toronto is a bad place for a lot of snow they really aren't equipped to deal with sucessive storms.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

wow .. thats a little too far gone to save anyway. Guess your neighbor should have returned the weed wacker like he said he would...

Actually if we had close water supply I have a portable fire pump and about 700' of inch and a half fire hose. we have a river but it's a little too far away. which reminds me i should get a spare spark plug for that