water fall

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
mikehawthorne
Grand Caliph

water fall

Unread post by mikehawthorne »

always wanted to do this type of shot opinions wanted.

mike hawthorne
Attachments
waterfall.jpg
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: water fall

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Beautiful.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

That's pretty nice! A little too closely cropped at the bottom, but I like the exposure.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Mike - what a great waterfall. Where abouts is it?

I agree with Kevin's thought about the bottom of the picture, perhaps a portait shaped picture would help? The blown bit of sky in the top right hand corner is a tiny bit distracting.

I like ths treatment of water, but you can also go to the other extreme and with really fast shutter speed (e.g. 1/500) start to show the waterfall in a totally different way. Here is a quick snap to show what I mean, 1/640, F5.6 ISO80 (don't ask :oops: ). I love the shapes revealed in the water that you never see with the human eye.

Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Birma, though the shot is quite good, but I've would used a tripod and long exposure, giving a creamy look to the flow, thus more romantic and calming. This gives like more of a rough terrain look and more dramatic feeling. But that's just me :oops:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
mikehawthorne
Grand Caliph

Unread post by mikehawthorne »

i agree about the tight cropped bottom but there were some rather ugly rocks/concrete lokking lumps.

i have seen this type of shot and i longed to have a go feel fairly pleased. it was in martiniqe west indies and it was a very wet raining afternoon.
the camera was propped on a wet rock and i had the (after)effects of rum punch.

mikehawthorne

ps i was even more pleased with my locale man in the other photo, thanks all for your comments.

pps it was on the sony 18-70 lens
springm
Oligarch

Unread post by springm »

Portrait orientation is very reasonable for waterfalls as it emphasizes the "falling". But in this case I would try to crop off a bit of the top, too, and eliminate the distracting blown out sky. Additionally you get more into a panoramic format which would live from the tension between the vertical flow and the horizontal expansion. Further more adding a bit of local contrast enhancement by unsharp masking with a low strength, maybe 0.2, a large diameter (60 - 100px) and 0 treshold might add those little bits of enforcement that would make the pic more vivid to add that 'wow' factor. I think the basis for this is already quite good!

Markus