Hibiscus...hibiscus..hibi...

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
aster
Tower of Babel

Hibiscus...hibiscus..hibi...

Unread post by aster »

Hi, :)

As the subject line suggests it's all about the hibiscus flower! :D
I value your views, therefore I appreciate any critical points you have on the composition, cropping and anything you think needs looking into.

The colours are all natural except fort the b&w cropped photo. All images resized in Sony's IDC.

All photos taken with A100 and Tamron 90mm.

Thanks
Yildiz

# 1

# 2

# 3

Last edited by aster on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Hibiscus...hibiscus..hibi

Unread post by aster »

# 4

# 5

# 6

Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Hibiscus...hibiscus..hibi...

Unread post by Dusty »

Yildiz,

I love 1 & 2, but can't see anything in focus on #3. #4 shows the dew/nectar drops in focus, but w/ too shallow DOF for me. #5 is much better at it, and 6 is pretty spectacular.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I think I like 2 and 5 the best. Good work! We have lots of hibiscus here in Hawaii too, in fact it is the state flower.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Dusty, thanks for the critisism. :)

I helps to understand how they are perceived by an outsider's eyes.

Thanks,

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bakubo wrote:I think I like 2 and 5 the best. Good work! We have lots of hibiscus here in Hawaii too, in fact it is the state flower.
Oh, I had no idea it was the state flower of Hawaii! But I do remember seeeing touristic photos with very attractive Hawaiian ladies with stunning smiles, showing their bright white teeth, wearing vividly coloured hibiscus blooms in their hairdo. So, that's why it was. :D

My shots from the summer of 2008, no hibiscus no more at this time of the year. I guess the opposite is true for your country and you're enjoying warm and colourful season's offerings at his time. :)

Thanks for the kind thoughts,

Yildiz
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yes, warm here. I walk to the beach and swim everyday. There are hibiscus flowers everywhere. Just a few days ago I was walking down by the beach and someone had made a heart of old hibiscus blossoms and left them there for me to find:

Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Yildiz, though #3 has not any real focus, but the misty appearance makes me like it a lot. As for #1 and 2 their really nice.

I am going to contradict you on not having Hibiscus at this time of the year. In fact we're having a blossom this year amazingly (in house, of course).
Allow me to present a couple of shots I made lately with A700 + SAL50M28 (I apologize for stealing your thread)

A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Shirley Kilpatrick
Associate Editor

Unread post by Shirley Kilpatrick »

This is my hibsicus – I think it’s an hibiscus. :oops:

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Shirley Kilpatrick wrote:This is my hibsicus – I think it’s an hibiscus.
That's a nice summer scene with bees and a beautiful pink flower Shirley! :D

Yes, there's a very good chance that it's actually a hibiscus plant in full bloom. Hibiscus is a species with many different types and I 'think' I saw one like yours but I'm still searching the internet to find where I last saw one of these. :)

So, a little patience please before we verify this! :D Maybe an expert should jump in ....

Thanks for sharing
Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Dr. Harout wrote:Yildiz, though #3 has not any real focus, but the misty appearance makes me like it a lot. As for #1 and 2 their really nice.

I am going to contradict you on not having Hibiscus at this time of the year. In fact we're having a blossom this year amazingly (in house, of course).
Allow me to present a couple of shots I made lately with A700 + SAL50M28 (I apologize for stealing your thread)
I like the misty hibiscus as well, I think it would make a nice large print to hang on one of my walls. Its abstract nature makes is suitable for decorating. :D Thank you for putting in your thoughts, I truely learn from the suggestions coming from objective minds.

Your red hibiscus is spectacular. Having grown indoors it has no damages from wind or strange dust particles. A very smooth velvety texture with an exotic flow to its petals.

Hawaii revived in your living room while it's a white thick blanket outside; a nice contrast. :D
(You can steal the show any time you like :) )

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Burried in snow so no hibiscus for me :/ But i'm glad you folks aren't letting me forget what they look like :)

Henry.. you'd better be carefull it's not the guy with the thong that left you these ..

[quote="bakubo"]Yes, warm here. I walk to the beach and swim everyday. There are hibiscus flowers everywhere. Just a few days ago I was walking down by the beach and someone had made a heart of old hibiscus blossoms and left them there for me to find:
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bakubo wrote:Yes, warm here. I walk to the beach and swim everyday. There are hibiscus flowers everywhere. Just a few days ago I was walking down by the beach and someone had made a heart of old hibiscus blossoms and left them there for me to find:
Bakubo, I think this photo of yours is a good one for stock. :) In my short-lived stock experience on the Internet I found that there are people interested in photos like that one...

Our hibiscus shrubs and trees are all naked and dry-looking right now. They'll be green and blooming again by the end of March. :)

Yildiz
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Javelin wrote:Henry.. you'd better be carefull it's not the guy with the thong that left you these ..
Egads, I hope not!!! :D I prefer to think it was someone like this:

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

aster wrote:Bakubo, I think this photo of yours is a good one for stock. :) In my short-lived stock experience on the Internet I found that there are people interested in photos like that one...
I had never given it any thought. When I see that photo of mine I go ho-hum, but I only included it on my website because it was amusing to me that someone had created the heart and then walked away and left it there for someone else to find. I suppose I don't have the proper eye for what might be good as a stock photo. :)