Trees of the American Southwest

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Trees of the American Southwest

Unread post by Javelin »

Those forests are so alive that even a rotting trunk will get rooted with other tree species in pretty short order. it doesn't take mother nature long here to reclaim anything she wants ..
bakubo wrote:
David Kilpatrick wrote:If you can see new growth, it is not Douglas Fir or Western Red Cedar. Neither are capable of growing from cut wood. Both make excellent guitar tops, I have had instruments made with each wood type. Like most cypress/cedar/fir once cut down, that's the end of the tree - unlike deciduous/hardwood trees, they can not be pollarded or coppiced, and will not grow again. Nor can they be pruned, which is why Leylandii are such a menace in Britain - they grow amazingly fast in our wet climate, and can not be stopped. All you can do is cut the top off.
I don't know trees well so maybe it is some other kind of tree. In that area there are a lot of Douglas Fir and Western Red Cedar trees though. There are also Western Hemlock and Sitka Spruce trees. By the way, there are many old tree stumps there from when they did logging about 150 years ago. Many of them have new growth on top, but it isn't growth coming from the stump resprouting. I am sure it is growth from seeds that land on the soft, moist, rotting top that start to grow and take root. Lots of the stumps have stuff growing out of them. I have no idea *what* it is that is growing there though. :)
Bodak
Heirophant

Unread post by Bodak »

Anyone thinking of coming to Australia (the state of Victoria) for trees, don't bother.

I think every tree in the state of Victoria has been burnt to the ground.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Thats a really horendous story. It's been top slot on the news here the last week or so. and now theres a world famous picture with the wounded koala and the firefighter giving him water from a bottle. (try that with a black bear some time!) The picture and accompanying story made the girls in the office cry.. funny how a picture can be so powerfull with a little context.
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Javelin wrote:and now theres a world famous picture with the wounded koala and the firefighter giving him water from a bottle. (try that with a black bear some time!)
That's how we got Smokey the Bear! He was rescued from a forest fire. Now you have one Down Under, too.

I do sympathize with those who have lost property and loved ones, but the forest will revitalize itself. A couple of decades ago we had the same thing happen at Yellowstone, now it's doing fine again.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Bodak
Heirophant

Unread post by Bodak »

Back late November early December I had a big yearn for green and went into one of these areas to satisfy my craving.

I was all set to go back to the same area on the friday but decided to wait untill after the 46dec Saturday had passed as it
would not have been very comfortable.
Just as well I delayed..
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Let's get some more photos! Here is a photo I took in 1986 at Point Lobos State Reserve, California. Let's see, this was made on slide film, Minolta X-700, and probably a Tokina 28mm f2.8 lens. And just for fun, a friend took the second photo of me a few minutes after I took the first photo. :)

Bodak
Heirophant

Unread post by Bodak »

Dead Tree.
I've added just a tad of colour to the whites in the foreground.

Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

wow, beauty, excellent shot Stephen.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Bodak wrote:I've added just a tad of colour to the whites in the foreground.
Very nice! By the way, I don't detect any color that you added. I wonder if it is just the screen on my notebook? What color did you add?
Last edited by bakubo on Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

I like it, Stephen. It looks like it could be the cover of a horror novel.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Bodak
Heirophant

Unread post by Bodak »

The touch of colour is in the whites of the tree, just added a smidge of cream to them.
Very subtle.
Thanks for liking it.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Bodak wrote:The touch of colour is in the whites of the tree, just added a smidge of cream to them.
Very subtle.
Thanks for liking it.
Yes, very subtle. A nice photo.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Bodak, :)

Every nice thing the above gentlemen commented on + I like the more squarish ratio of your photo.

Mind you, I've been wondering does 'bodak' have a meaning as a word? Because the way it sounds and is written actually has a meaning in Turkish, which actually is related to tree trunk growth physiology.

Yildiz
Bodak
Heirophant

Unread post by Bodak »

aster wrote:Hi Bodak, :) I've been wondering does 'bodak' have a meaning as a word? Because the way it sounds and is written actually has a meaning in Turkish, which actually is related to tree trunk growth physiology.Yildiz
The use of Bodak derived from an old slang word that we used instead of swearing around adults in our younger days.
Instead of Bull sh*t, we would say Oh bodak. It was part of our secret code.
I've since found a lot of bodaks on the net.

Edit: By that I mean a lot of people have this as a surname.
Last edited by Bodak on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Bodak wrote:
aster wrote:Hi Bodak, :) I've been wondering does 'bodak' have a meaning as a word? Because the way it sounds and is written actually has a meaning in Turkish, which actually is related to tree trunk growth physiology.Yildiz
The use of Bodak derived from an old slang word that we used instead of swearing around adults in our younger days.
Instead of Bull sh*t, we would say Oh bodak. It was part of our secret code.
I've since found a lot of bodaks on the net.
Reminds me of bohica. :) In the winter of 1994/95 I joined with several friends in California to rent a ski cabin (actually, a big, beautiful fully furnished 3-story house) at Lake Tahoe for 6 months. One of the guys suggested that we name ourselves Club Bohica. I was the only one in the group who didn't know the meaning, because I was the only one in the group who didn't work at their company. I had a great place to work, but their's, apparently, left something to be desired. They told me bohica = bend over, here it comes again. :)