fires

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

fires

Unread post by stevecim »

not much of a photo, tech wise but it's part of a fire storm hitting Victoria, this fire was 10Kms away, but with strong winds I nearly had to leave my home, I sent my kids away and wife is working tonight, so I told her to not to come home , to risky to drive at night with fires every where

Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: fires

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Mighty peculiar weather pattern lately, for you guys anyway, 40C+ down there, while we in the tropics are having 27C, but also the monsoon has set in here, non stop rain and drizzle night and day for the last month, wall to wall overcast kludge all day...sheesh.
I see on the news tonight they caught a firebug, after announcing that 30 homes had burnt down.... :roll:
Greg
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

keep safe
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hope things are well under control by now and everyone feels encouraged to head back to their homes...Sad about the nature though.

Yildiz
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Hi All

looks the threat has moved away from my place, still bad across the state, but weather will be cooler for the next 5 days.

Over 400 fires across the state. Many fires where left to run on their own, the CFA does not have the man power to cover every fire.

Cheers, stephen
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

Thats scarey. I was in California and saw fires like this spreading. your weather has been on the news here. while you were 40°c we were -38°c I swear if it ever hit 40 here i'd burst out in a fat fire. but maybe it's not as humid there as it is here?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I'ts the trees that are the problem, they spontaneously ignite well before the fire front from the radiated heat in a fast chain reaction, which is why a firestorm moves so fast, you have very little chance of outrunning it. If I lived in the hinterland like a lot of those people do in amongst the trees, and there were fires breaking out, I'd be dumping all the trees within a 200 meter radius and then lopping them all down flat too the ground, greenies or no greenies.
Greg
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

your right thats exactly what happens. but the other thing is the sparks and embers. if the wind is blowing the fire along a lot of building materials will only hold out so long against that.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Yep, maybe if you had a swimming pool and dragcar fireproof suit and 2" fire-fighter pump as well as the 5hp chainsaw....
Greg
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

well no suit but i have a 2 stroke Wajax pump and 500' of 1 -1/2 hose .. all I've had to do with it is empty people pools though :)
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Yer, we are still on ember alert. but I should be safe. the wind changed from North to South Westerly at around 6pm last night, good for me but very bad for a lot of other people. 2 major fires north of me have joined into 1 hugh front and 4-5 towns have been wiped out and 3-4 under direct threat

javelin, a few years ago, crews from California came to Victoria, Australia to help out with major fires we had. I remember hearing a radio interview with them,
they where shocked at how big the fires where and at how the CFA (Contry Fire Authority) handles them with small numbers of men/woman.
They where with a group of 500 on a major fire , he said in California they would have put 3000 to 4000 men on a fire of the same size.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Bad news that, the sunday paper says that there may be up to 40 dead.
Greg
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

ouch! sorry to hear that.
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

stevecim wrote:They where with a group of 500 on a major fire , he said in California they would have put 3000 to 4000 men on a fire of the same size.
Yes, but here they use union workers. Honestly, sometimes the administration of the fire fighting gets in the way of those who know how to go the job. Or so my buddy the Fire Chief has said.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

news here is reporting 80-100 dead. one says 84 another says 96. Hope it's over soon for you I guess people weren't getting out soon enough. There talking about British Comumbia water bombers being sent to help too.