Old, derelict buildings

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Old, derelict buildings

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Well, it says Michigan Central Station on the caption...
Yes, that is right. I didn't see it the first time because the download was kinda slow so I stopped it when the full photo was displayed, but before the caption appeared.
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Office above the station would be an easy commute!

Old farmhouse South Delta B.C.

Bodak
Heirophant

Unread post by Bodak »

I thought I'd throw in this shot of a Bushmans hut.
I actually used this hut for an overnight stop as I wandered the high country of Victoria..

giantxtc
Acolyte

Unread post by giantxtc »

Hey guys, the building in my picture is the Michigan Central Station it's a abandoned train station in Detroit, MI.

Really an amazing building unfortunately the city hasn't been able to do anything with it and it's been abandoned since 1988. It was the cities main rail hub when it opened in 1913.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I'm glad more people have posted their photos. Old buildings are everywhere and I find them fascinating -- especially when I am able to go inside for a look. Imagine the people and lives within the crumbling walls. Sometimes they still have reminders of the occupants -- old, faded, tattered pictures, dishes, a piece of clothing, children's writing on the walls, etc.

This is an old house in Nishi-Waseda, Tokyo. I took the photo in about 1992 on slide film and scanned it.

bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

They recently sold it for $8.000.000 - just kidding. But isn't Tokyo the most expensive place, ground wise? Hearing stories like grand children still paying off the loan of the apparment grand dad bought and so...But probably cooling down now, with the crisis and so :wink:
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Good thread Henry,
So far I can only find one shot of a very old building, in the next street back from mine, a style of house was probably built before federation and been re-roofed at least once, it's gone now, it's just a vacant allotment.
Greg

gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

near aberdeen scotland

braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

bakubo wrote:I'm glad more people have posted their photos. Old buildings are everywhere and I find them fascinating -- especially when I am able to go inside for a look. Imagine the people and lives within the crumbling walls. Sometimes they still have reminders of the occupants -- old, faded, tattered pictures, dishes, a piece of clothing, children's writing on the walls, etc.
I recently started a small project to photograph some old farmhouses around here before they fall down completely.

This is Easter Gospetry

The interior:

Front view:

Date Stone:- I can't make it out - might be 1686 and probably from an earlier building on the same site.
David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bossel wrote:They recently sold it for $8.000.000 - just kidding. But isn't Tokyo the most expensive place, ground wise? Hearing stories like grand children still paying off the loan of the apparment grand dad bought and so...But probably cooling down now, with the crisis and so :wink:
Tokyo is not as expensive as it once was. Japan has still not recovered from the bubble that burst in early 1990. The Nikkei 225 stock index closed at 38,916 yen on 1989-12-29 and closed today at 8,907 yen. You can see the chart going back to 1984 here:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=^ ... =undefined

(Not sure why the above url doesn't get turned into a link.)

Real estate prices in Tokyo are still pretty expensive, but residential property is about 1/10 of what it was in the bubble and prime commercial property is about 1/100 of what it was.

I was looking at prices for mansions マンション (condominium/apartment) in Tokyo last week. I am toying with the idea of buying one since the prices are down so much. Tokyo is my favorite city in the world -- I have lived there several times.
Last edited by bakubo on Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

That is an interesting use - correct - of the word mansions. 'In my father's house there are many mansions' - Jesus. He meant, in my father's building there are many apartments. A mansion-house, technically, is a house divided into condos.

Our house, Maxwell Place, is a mansion-house. It is easily divided into three or four properties (West Wing, Main House, Upper East Wing, Lower East Wing) but in the 1800s was occupied room by room. One part was let to the widow of Admiral Dixon, who commanded a ship alongside Nelson at Trafalgar. Two of the doors in the central part of the house are curved oak doors, presumably from Dixon's ship, converted to fit a house. Forty years later, the owner (while letting parts or rooms to various relatives and others) departed to live on the island of Corfu with his German valet. I think he was also slightly curved, but got life right! The property deeds for 'that mansion-house known as Maxwell Place' reveal a lot. They start with the signature of Sir Walter Scott when he sold his inheritance to developers, and the first documents are on vellum - beaten deerskin.

David
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

Another of the old farmhouse - this is from 3 handheld exposure bracketed shots combined in ImageFuser. Dang I wish I had not cut the chimney off.

David
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

That's one good farmhouse which I like the look of the disintegrating stone walls David.

And here are two samples from my archives from the city.

Yildiz

Last edited by aster on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:That is an interesting use - correct - of the word mansions. 'In my father's house there are many mansions' - Jesus. He meant, in my father's building there are many apartments. A mansion-house, technically, is a house divided into condos.
Japan has adopted many foreign words, mostly English but also French, German, etc. Sometimes the meaning remains the same, but sometimes the meaning is somewhat different than in the original language. Generally foreign words such as mansion are written in katakana, but sometimes after enough time has gone by and it has been in the language so long that many Japanese don't even know it is a borrowed word it is written in hiragana (as if it was a native Japanese word) such as tobacco たばこ (cigarette).
David Kilpatrick wrote: Our house, Maxwell Place, is a mansion-house. It is easily divided into three or four properties (West Wing, Main House, Upper East Wing, Lower East Wing) but in the 1800s was occupied room by room. One part was let to the widow of Admiral Dixon, who commanded a ship alongside Nelson at Trafalgar. Two of the doors in the central part of the house are curved oak doors, presumably from Dixon's ship, converted to fit a house. Forty years later, the owner (while letting parts or rooms to various relatives and others) departed to live on the island of Corfu with his German valet. I think he was also slightly curved, but got life right! The property deeds for 'that mansion-house known as Maxwell Place' reveal a lot. They start with the signature of Sir Walter Scott when he sold his inheritance to developers, and the first documents are on vellum - beaten deerskin.
That is really cool!

Several good, interesting photos have been posted! Keep it going!

Here's another photo. This is at the Bodie ghost town in California (scanned from a negative):

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great pictures on the thread so far. While out with the family today, we came across the following in the woods. It perhaps isn't decrpid enough yet. It was full of old barbed wire, I guess to discourage anyone using it.

Both taken with 17-50. (Photography by my wife as I'm in charge of the baby carrier on family walks now :D . All the PP is my fault.)

All comments welcome.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.