Beach Huts

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
paulmurphy
Grand Caliph

Beach Huts

Unread post by paulmurphy »

As part of the continuing regeneration of the seafront at Blyth the council is installing beach huts for rental. These are going to be quite photogenic when they are all finished, there are still quite a few to be built as far as I can see. (now if only they could do something about the sea temperature :-) ).

Also I quite liked this shot, a random guy just sitting contemplating life, great to be at the seafront on a sunny Sunday morning

Best wishes

Murph
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Beach Huts

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

OK, now I don't need to go to Norfolk for beach huts!

This is almost a Victorian idea. They will have bathing machines next :-)

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

They look nice, but what exactly does a beach hut do for you if you rent one?
Greg
harveyzone
Oligarch

Unread post by harveyzone »

Greg Beetham wrote:They look nice, but what exactly does a beach hut do for you if you rent one?
It keeps you warm and dry from the wind and rain. You never been on holiday on the North Sea coast? It isn't like Queensland. :lol:
--
Tom
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Ah so, thanks Tom I probably should have guessed...shouldn't I, actually we are sort-of having some overcast windy cool drizzly yecch at the moment so yo-all over there can rejoice in the fact that it can even happen here. :lol:
Greg
harveyzone
Oligarch

Greg Beetham wrote:Ah so, thanks Tom I probably should have guessed...shouldn't I, actually we are sort-of having some overcast windy cool drizzly yecch at the moment so yo-all over there can rejoice in the fact that it can even happen here. :lol:
Yes, that does make me feel a little better :lol:

I must admit to rather liking beach huts for some unknow reason...

--
Tom
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Nothing like breaking our 'three beach huts per post' rule with a vengeance, eh?

I especially like the illegal beach huts - the garden sheds erected on dunes without permission, and locked by the owners, who are forced to return weekly to make sure no-one has broken in and committed cannabis aggravated fornication on their favourite beachtowel.

David
harveyzone
Oligarch

David Kilpatrick wrote:Nothing like breaking our 'three beach huts per post' rule with a vengeance, eh?
Oops, sorry - I came over all "Sonolta" for a moment. (no offence Don). I must admit that I thought it was a server side restriction that you had put on a while ago following some 'lively discussions'. I wil be more restrained in future.
David Kilpatrick wrote:I especially like the illegal beach huts - the garden sheds erected on dunes without permission, and locked by the owners, who are forced to return weekly to make sure no-one has broken in and committed cannabis aggravated fornication on their favourite beachtowel.
:-) Yeah - I liked those. Kind of random, and tucked away from general view. Just stumbled on them on a rainy, windy walk.
--
Tom
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thanks for starting such a lovely thread Paul. :D

Beach huts are always reinvented somehow. I like the grass-covered roofs of your beach huts; more environmentally and visually friendly.

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Quaint as they are..and I do like em..really, it sure is apparent that they are not here, if they were, it wouldn't be long before some anti-social dimwit lowlifes sprayed graffiti and possibly set a few on fire just for fun, and vandalized the rest... :roll:
Greg
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Greg Beetham wrote:They look nice, but what exactly does a beach hut do for you if you rent one?
Greg
No, really, what are they for? (see sidebar indicating my location)
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Hey Kevin, have you moved? I always thought you were further north than Texas for some reason.
Greg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

KevinBarrett wrote:
Greg
No, really, what are they for? (see sidebar indicating my location)
Hi, :)

When I was a small kid we had a beach hut, not because we rented it but because the firm my father worked for owned a beach on a very remote spot-at that time-along the southern coastline of Turkey and allocated one for him and family. That beach hut was even a little bigger than the ones we see in this thread with a rack of beds too.

For anyone who has kids and plans to spend a whole day on the beach these huts can be very useful. As you all know, beaches can be very windy and this can cause headaches and even other unexpected health issues and Turkey's Mediterranean coast can be really, really hot. So much that you can't walk barefeet on the sand because you'll scorch the soles of your feet or can't go without a hat and sunglasses for all that radiating heat and strong light.

The beach huts serve as a protected area where one can store food and eat it there too, keep one's belongings like fishing rods or a small inflatable boat or kids' beach toys, change clothes, take a shower and take a nap too, away from the unprotected beach area. The wind is sometimes so strong that if you decide to sit and eat on the beach, your fruits and other food are bound to get all sandy even if you're not sitting directly on the sand.

They can be very handy really, if you are beach person and spend long hours and days and need to bring along some personal stuff for your own good.

Yildiz
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Greg Beetham wrote:Hey Kevin, have you moved? I always thought you were further north than Texas for some reason.
Greg
Wow, and you haven't even heard me in person! Texans think I'm from Canada--heck, a Canadian thought I was from Canada!

Yildiz, thanks for the explanation. We have a beach here in Texas, but it's very poor and mostly just a landing strip for hurricaines and jellyfish. I would be very surprised to find that anybody visited it often enough to justify needing a beach hut. But then, I've been to beaches that made me want to move out of the country before... Parque Nacional Manuel Antonio in Costa Rica, for instance... :mrgreen:
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

Nice photo's to all :)

We have a few beach huts in melboune, well they are really old boat sheds. in some area's the sell for over $250,000.00