Let's post some panoramas

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Let's post some panoramas

Unread post by Dusty »

I've been trying to do a pano of my old high school - my sister's class arranged a tour for their 40th reunion, and I tagged along - but I must not have been in the right place.

Our high school was an old college campus, and I was in the quadrangle snapping and pivoting, but Central Hall comes out as a curved building. The rest is OK.

I may get a chance to swing by there and snap some more from another spot, but I think I really need to move around the quad, staying about the same distance from all the buildings as much as possible.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
DennisG

Unread post by DennisG »

This is from one of the sunny days this summer, we haven´t had allot of them this year...
but it´s taken with my cellphone ( htc one x ) and not a sony cam but i think the road is kind of cool :)
the picture is made of 5 images stitched together in the phone, and the road is 80degree bend.
nr1_liten.jpg
nr1_liten.jpg (56.07 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
Last edited by DennisG on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Dusty wrote:Our high school was an old college campus, and I was in the quadrangle snapping and pivoting, but Central Hall comes out as a curved building. The rest is OK.

I may get a chance to swing by there and snap some more from another spot, but I think I really need to move around the quad, staying about the same distance from all the buildings as much as possible.
If the curvature of the buildings is a problem, it may be that your stitching software has some projection options. The only such software I've used is Hugin, which makes trying out the various projections very easy. The only downside is that for a rectilinear projection, you have to take a LOT more pictures at the periphery of your panorama scene, and it never seems to be enough when you get them all laid out.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dusty wrote:I've been trying to do a pano of my old high school - my sister's class arranged a tour for their 40th reunion, and I tagged along - but I must not have been in the right place.
Please post it!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dennis, thanks for posting! How many photos did you use to make your panorama?

Greg, I hope you will soon have a bit of free time so you can also post some of yours. A pano of the home project might be quite cool. Which software do you use to do your stitching?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Hi Henry, I haven’t done much previously/recently with pano’s except the bridge I did do one of that and put it in the weather thread (I think), but the thing is a pano doesn’t look much of anything at a 1000pixels wide, you really have to see it at full screen to see it at some advantage over a regular photo…and as for taking a pano of some weatherboards that I might be scraping the old paint off of or splicing a new section into, that would be a thrill a minute for sure. :lol:
Greg
Ps I just use Elements to construct a pano when I want one, it seems to work ok.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Dennis, : )

I suppose the road is actually pretty straight in reality.

The way you went about the panorama, it reminds me of HDR photos taken to light 3D scenes visualized by cad software. : ) Maybe it can be used for that purpose also.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Had my first go at a multi-frame panorama. This is just 4 pictures stitched together using Microsoft ICE.

2012 Malvern Pano 1 by Birm, on Flickr

See the full size image here http://www.flickr.com/photos/blodandbir ... otostream/

It was a very nice morning, but not quite clear enough for the shot I wanted.

Nex 5 with SEL 55-200.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Denali National Forest. 12 images stitched in MS ICE. You can see the photographer at the bottom right... :)

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigsu ... .jpg[/img]
DSC30066077-12_stitch by BigSury, on Flickr[/url]
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Truly a big view Sury
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Birma wrote:Truly a big view Sury
Indeed, along with Sury's shadow... well, as they say, the shadow knows... :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Had my first go at a multi-frame panorama. This is just 4 pictures stitched together using Microsoft ICE.
Nice one, Birma! How do you like ICE? It is a free download so I have thought about trying it (also Hugin), but I rarely do panoramas so I haven't gotten around to trying it.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

sury wrote:Denali National Forest. 12 images stitched in MS ICE. You can see the photographer at the bottom right... :)
Good going! By the way, you could add your panorama to the following thread too!

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =17&t=4245
sury

Unread post by sury »

Thank you all. I am a shadowy figure Doc!!! :lol: Henry, since you asked, I have used ICE for
about 3-4 years now. My biggest stitch was a 62 image panorama and I have routinely
done 5-45 image stitches using MS ICE. I did try but not succeed using their 2-D stitch
and it could very well be pilot error. It is very good especially for the price. :lol:

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Henry :)

I tried ICE after I saw Sury mention it here some time ago I think. It is very easy to use. I was impressed with my first attempt above. A second try resulted in some banding on the joins. I'll have to try one with a bigger number of pictures.