Wind turbines

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Hawk
Oligarch

Wind turbines

Unread post by Hawk »

Three wind turbines, three lenses, three shots :-)

bonneville
Grand Caliph

Re: Wind turbines

Unread post by bonneville »

Hawk, I like your pictures.

I have to travel 120 odd miles most days, round trip to my office on a main arterial route, but occasionally I take an alternative route which is longer and slower but passes a huge wind farm. I have often considered taking my kit one day and stopping to shoot the turbines, and now I will, so watch this space.

Also I once drove south from San Francisco to Las Vegas and passed through the biggest wind farm in the whole world I think, but I stupidly wasn't into photography then and never considered shooting them.

But one day soon I will return.

Brian
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
Filmmaker
Acolyte

Unread post by Filmmaker »

I think that you should try slow shutter speed and use a tripod.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bonneville wrote:Also I once drove south from San Francisco to Las Vegas and passed through the biggest wind farm in the whole world I think, but I stupidly wasn't into photography then and never considered shooting them.
You are probably thinking of the huge wind farm on Hwy 58. I have passed by there are couple of times. Here is a photo of just a small portion:

There are also huge wind farms in West Texas. Here are a couple of photos that show a few windmills there:

harveyzone
Oligarch

Unread post by harveyzone »

bakubo wrote:You are probably thinking of the huge wind farm on Hwy 58. I have passed by there are couple of times. Here is a photo of just a small portion:

Wow - that is pretty impressive!

I once drove around a windmill infested area for ages trying to get a photo of some modern wind turbines with an old traditional windmill. It later started to drizzle with rain but before I eventually gave up this (rather over-processed - mostly from necessity) image was the only one that I managed :(

Oh, and this is how it started life...
--
Tom
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

bakubo wrote: You are probably thinking of the huge wind farm on Hwy 58
That's it Henry, thanks for the post. It brought back memories of that trip and the wind farm was one of the few interesting sights on an otherwise very long and boring drive.........until the Stratosphere tower and the rest of Las Vegas eventually looms out of the desert.

Brian
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bonneville wrote:That's it Henry, thanks for the post. It brought back memories of that trip and the wind farm was one of the few interesting sights on an otherwise very long and boring drive.........until the Stratosphere tower and the rest of Las Vegas eventually looms out of the desert.
Brian, yes Hwy 58 is a long stretch across California starting near San Luis Obispo and going to Barstow. It is a pretty boring drive, but you may remember seeing this: