lighthouse

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

lighthouse

Unread post by Javelin »

Was going to use this shot for another thread but it's moved on

harvey
Oligarch

Re: lighthouse

Unread post by harvey »

I like that shot.

It would be nice to see more of the top from further away but maybe that is not possible.

Is the lighthouse not used any more? Those horns can be loud.

Harvey
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

It's used but it's automated. and can be controled remotely. It's not lit by hand like it would have been with fresnels and an electric light at the turn of the century. The shore side of it is pretty ugly and that was as far as I could get from it on the lake side and had to make the most out of the lens I carried out there. I had an emergency phone call while I was out there and haven't been back since. it's a nice area and maybe with some more time I'll get some better shots. I liked the way this one turned out anyway and since the sky darkened so much I was going to use it as an example in the polarizer thread so i just posted it since it was alreay sized right and that thread went a diferent direction. And the thought of the horn sounding was on my mind... it would have to be really loud to hear it on the fishing tugs..

Thanks for looking...
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Nice lighthouse javelin, lovely detail. I agree with harvey that it is a pity about the bottom right corner, but it is understandable as you were restricted by the lake. Cool sky.

Hope you don't mind if I post a couple of lighthouse 'fog horns' as well. These are from my pre-dslr days, but they are at least Sony (V1).

Ardnamurchan Point
My long suffering wife as a scale!

Neist Point (Isle of Skye)

I wouldn't want to be near either while in use :shock:
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Hmmm, where should I find a lighthouse in a country with no seas? :(
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Bluebate
Acolyte

Unread post by Bluebate »

I post some pics too if you don´t mind.

This is Tankar lighthouse, on the island of Tankar. Built in 1889 and designed by Eiffel et cie.

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great lighthouse bluebate - love the contrast of the red and blue in the pictures. The light house looks very well maintained.

Doc, sorry you have no lighthouses, but I think you have some compensation with your mountains :D
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Dr. Harout wrote:Hmmm, where should I find a lighthouse in a country with no seas? :(
On the River! Sorry I'm late into this thread, been catching up, since I've been busy as of late.

We have 2 on the Mississippi River at the 'top' of St. Louis along the river. I have to get out there and photograph them some day. When I was little they were still in use. It was neat to travel over the old bridge at night and see them lit up.
The area is know as the Chain of Rocks and was an impediment to barge traffic on the river. In the 50's they built a canal around it. The 2 lighthouses also serve as water intakes for the city water supply.

Hope you have some river lighthouses! If not, I guess you'll just have to do some traveling! :)

Dusty