kingfishers in the winter

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
kingfisher
Oligarch

kingfishers in the winter

Unread post by kingfisher »

a few day`s ago , i was to the kingfishers
there was terrible light , and it was snowing
so I thought this is a good day to test the SAL 70-400 in low light

here the result

greetings
gustav
bossel
Viceroy

Re: kingfishers in the winter

Unread post by bossel »

I've already enjoyed them on dyxum :mrgreen: Great catches!
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Love the shots with the little fish in their beaks. I can't imagine how cold you must have got waiting in your little hide in the snow :shock: . I suppose the Kingfishers must be even colder! Amazing colours and detail, as always.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Once again, wonderful shots, Gustav.
But I think the 300/2.8 yielded the best results among the three lenses (70-200, 70-400 & 300) :roll: though shooting/light conditions were different.
Would've been interesting to compare them on the same spot, on the same day (I understand the weight you have to carry around :? ).
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
paulmurphy
Grand Caliph

Unread post by paulmurphy »

Hi Gustav,

The colours stand out beautifully against the winter background.

Did you have to break ice to allow him to fish?

The more I see pictures from this lens (Winstons bird pics also) the more I feel lens lust creeping on.

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes

Paul
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

The SAL 70-400 G SSM's bokeh is not soo great, is it? It's the same with my sample. It's a great lens in most regards but bokeh is not the strongest point.

-- Olaf
kingfisher
Oligarch

i dont now
i am no expert but i think the bokeh is very good

some test you must reed with a little bit salt

here some òther picture`s with this lens ( PART ONE )

greeting gustav
kingfisher
Oligarch

PART TWO

gustav
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

As usual, you have created some stunning photographs. In addition to the quality of the pictures, I have to complement you on your dedication to your craft. It is quite impressive to see how many hours you will spend in a blind to get your pictures in summer weather. To think of you doing the same thing in winter weather is truly impressive.

I'm pleased to see that your dedication results in such superb images. My complements again.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Dr. Harout wrote:Once again, wonderful shots, Gustav.
But I think the 300/2.8 yielded the best results among the three lenses (70-200, 70-400 & 300) :roll: though shooting/light conditions were different.
Would've been interesting to compare them on the same spot, on the same day (I understand the weight you have to carry around :? ).
Deciding which lens serves Gustav better is like deciding which motor oil gets you faster lap times in a Corvette. Don't ask me how, it just is. Beautiful work as always, Gustav, and in challenging conditions, no less!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Lovely work there Gustav, the Kingfisher shots with the fish are really special.
Greg
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

I found it very funny when I learned how the french call the kingfisher: it's 'Martin pêcheur', Martin the fisherman :D I understand why he is called a fisherman, but why Martin? Since I use about 4 languages per day, when it comes to special words I am often lost. What meal did you eat yesterday? I know the french name and maybe the english but not the german, or vice versa :mrgreen: I think I subscribed for a lifetime of learning :?

I hope one day I can also take nice pics of animals, that's something I haven't really tried (well, a bit in the zoo) but I think it can be very rewarding, looking at these pics! I hope the kingfishers will get well over the winter and Gustav will post new pics in spring and summer!!
kingfisher
Oligarch

thanks everyone

bossel ....did you see my picture`s from france ????????????
i think it`s near your home

it`s ..............viva la france

every year we go to this part of france ...the provence

greetings
gustav
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

bossel wrote:I found it very funny when I learned how the french call the kingfisher: it's 'Martin pêcheur', Martin the fisherman :D I understand why he is called a fisherman, but why Martin? Since I use about 4 languages per day, when it comes to special words I am often lost. What meal did you eat yesterday? I know the french name and maybe the english but not the german, or vice versa :mrgreen: I think I subscribed for a lifetime of learning :?

I hope one day I can also take nice pics of animals, that's something I haven't really tried (well, a bit in the zoo) but I think it can be very rewarding, looking at these pics! I hope the kingfishers will get well over the winter and Gustav will post new pics in spring and summer!!
A 'martin' is a type of bird. The same word passed to English - we have housemartins, and martins. Martins belong to the same group as swifts and swallows. I've seem them in France chasing insects over the surface of rivers and canals.

David
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

kingfisher wrote:bossel ....did you see my picture`s from france ????????????
i think it`s near your home
Yes, I've seen some of them, like the vultures - excellent. I really should go there more often, les gorges du Verdon is not too far from here. But once you live here, you think of visiting places far away, like Paris, Barcelona or Roma (and maybe Amsterdam :D ) and you forget what is close :? Need to do more day tours once the rain and snow has stopped. (btw my wife would love to visit London, but it's a problem that the UK haven't joined the Schengen treaty :( )
David Kilpatrick wrote:A 'martin' is a type of bird. The same word passed to English - we have housemartins, and martins
It seems the french and english share 'Martin' for birds, but not the germans. Have to check for the german word and just asked the wife for the turkish name - she knows the bird (and btw she loved the red panda) but couldn't find the name. I should get one of those electronic 25 language pocket-dictonnaries 8)