Flowers 2010

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Flowers 2010

Unread post by Birma »

Whoops :oops: . My second guess is Spring Snowflake, Leucojum vernum. Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake_%28plant%29.

I like the perspective in DK's shots - I was thinking this week that the articulated screen would be great for getting very low shots. Perhaps the angle view finder would be an alternative?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I never got the Minolta angle finder although I wanted one, they always had it way overpriced here, over $400, which was ludicrous, but yes that would allow you to check composition, focus and DOF on the A700, A100, for those close to the ground shots, I reckon a gorillapod might come in handy as well.
Greg

ps. I was having a snoop over at B&H at numerous things, and while I was there I had a look at the price of the Sony (ala Minolta) angle finder, and the price is now quite reasonable, even after currency conversion.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... eadReviews
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Greg Beetham wrote:I never got the Minolta angle finder although I wanted one, they always had it way overpriced here, over $400, which was ludicrous, but yes that would allow you to check composition, focus and DOF on the A700, A100.
I have found it possible to obtain a second-hand Minolta angle finder for only about $25 by patient shopping - and the operative word here is patient. After using the angle finder for a number of years, I managed to misplace the first one I bought, so I ended up buying a second copy about a year ago. I carry the angle finder in my camera bag for those occasions when I want to use a low camera angle, such as I did for the images below. It is not only much more convenient, it is also much more friendly to my now elderly back and knees!

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Attachments
Riverside-Alfa.jpg
Taken at the Riverside Raceway Museum in California
(104.09 KiB) Downloaded 1413 times
Riverside-GT40.jpg
Taken at the Riverside Raceway Museum in California
(79.52 KiB) Downloaded 1413 times
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Spring snowflake is clearly what they are! The problem with the angle finder is that you still need to be on your knees to peer through it. The articulated screen eliminates crawling around on the ground. I was shooting with the Canon 550D in Edinburgh, and ended up checking George Square gardens (where there is superb wildlife photo exhibition by Steve Bloom) for dog dirt before lying full length in best combat shooting position to capture some crocus beds from ground level.

The Sony A550 eliminates that. I'm now thinking I should not have sold my 18-55mm SAM. With a close-up lens, at 18mm, this could be even more impressive.

David
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Tom, those are great car shots - a really good angle. I will look out for a seond hand Minolta angle finder, although I'm also looking at the Seagull version (reviewed by DK sometime ago and now available in a x1 - x3.25 format). The flip out rear screen on the A550 would be great - I hope the next body I buy will have one, but that will be some time away I'm guessing.

On returning from holiday in the North of England it was nice to see some further colour appearing in the garden. Here are some from today.

A type of Primrose (Primula).

Forget-me-not.

Forsythia

All taken with the Minolta 35-70 in macro mode, plus CL49-200 close-up filter, on the A700.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

... and some more :D

Narcissus

Forsythia again

... and again

All taken with the Minolta 35-70 in macro mode, on the A700. First with CL49-200 close-up filter, final two without.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

... and finally for today

More Forsythia, this time with Manual 135/3.5 lens on the A100

I was experimenting with a very small dof and almost binned this, but I like the colours and so kept it.

I have to admit the Forsythia got the most coverage today as it was a stand-up and shoot opportunity, rather than a commando crawl :D .
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Ha! there you go Birma, four types of flowers already, in the garden...nice. Is that the MD35-70 with the macro button? or was there an AF version...I seem to remember my MD35-70 didn't like add on close up filters in macro mode very much, it seemed to go all smudgy, but that might have been because of the particular brand/type of close up filter..maybe.
Greg

ps. With the angle screen cameras, for me they might be useful if you could actually view AT f8 or f11 so you could see the first point of sharp focus before taking the shot, but they can't stop down for that, no DOF preview button. I'm not sure if the rear screen is good enough in bright daylight to see if the leading edge of the primary subject is in sharp focus after taking a shot...and another thing I'm not sure the rear screen can display the focus point the camera is using and therefore exactly what it is focussing on either...
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Greg - it's the AF 35-70. I think it must have been a kit kens at one time as they seem very common, and quite cheap, on eBay. When you switch to macro mode it goes in to MF automatically (well mine does). The 49mm filter thread goes nicely with the close up filter I have. For some reason I hadn't tried them together before today. I'm quite pleased.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Yes I agree, nice sharp edges indeed for what's virtually a kit lens, I don't think my AF KM100 Macro does any better than that.
Greg

ps. I forgot to mention, I have some gardners knee protectors (like the things that skateboard riders wear) for doing Macro close to the ground, I suppose one could even get a pair for the elbows as well...only thing is, one does look a little odd donning/wearing them in public...it's ok up in the bush or in the backyard, but one would get a few strange looks in a public setting perhaps....
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Greg Beetham wrote:I forgot to mention, I have some gardners knee protectors (like the things that skateboard riders wear) for doing Macro close to the ground, I suppose one could even get a pair for the elbows as well...only thing is, one does look a little odd donning/wearing them in public...it's ok up in the bush or in the backyard, but one would get a few strange looks in a public setting perhaps....
Don't worry about the public reaction, you will quickly get used to it. I have a similar pair of knee protectors (actually intended for workers in an aircraft factory and bought at surplus many years ago) that I have used in public for years.

I belong to a car club and take photos at our events for use in our monthly newsletter. On the occasions when we have a concours competition, many of the photos I shoot of the vehicles themselves are from a very low angle to avoid a distracting background, and kneeling on concrete without knee protectors is very uncomfortable. I just strap on the pads when shooting the cars, and take them off when the focus (pun actually intended, unfortunately) is on the owners and the prize awards.

A few people - some club members and some just chance spectators from the general public - make a few remarks about the knee protectors, but I became used to that many years ago, part-way through the first event at which I donned the pads.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Ewannawe
Oligarch

Unread post by Ewannawe »

Reality is merely illusion, albeit a persistent one. ~ Albert Einstein
To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge. ~ Benjamin Disraeli
pbrstreetgang
Acolyte

Unread post by pbrstreetgang »

Tried out my new Tamron 70-300mm Di LD macro. This was at max zoom and handheld in local park. Not too sure on the flowers? crocus?

The lens cost me less than £100 delivered and upto now i have been impressed.

The Domke F2 is sagging.... Sony A200 with 18-70 kit, Fuji S6500FD, Fuji E900, Visionary 8x42HD bino`s

Have a look at my blog!.. http://pbrstreetgangsrandomstuff.blogspot.com/

Realtime ship tracking..... http://www.shipais.com/index.php?map=uk
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Birma;

Your garden must be alive with these early runners of spring! Keep on trying the lenses, A700 and everything attachable to the camera and lens and we'll be seeing some more great photos of flowers... :D

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Ewan,

Lovely round bundle of cute blues you've got there. They probably love all that sunlight... :)

Hi pbrstreetgang :D

Congratulations and good luck with your newly-acquired lens. Always a pleasure to have a new lens to try out and find out about intricacies. Lenses have individual character no matter how industry-line product they may thought to be.

That's a good shot with some good background. Crocusses are very cheerful flowers chronicling the spring's fresh breath out of the earth.

Enjoy!

Yildiz