Weather Today- in Your Vicinity

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Weather Today- in Your Vicinity

Unread post by jbtaylor »

The UN IPCC that creates and disseminates the so-called "concensus" statements regarding anthropogenic global warming has been under seige lately as people are finding out that these statements are not necessarily the result of peer reviewed science. This is a criticism that these folks usually reserve for the skeptics crowd.
I like to ask myself 2 questions when it comes to this topic.
1. What kind of variability does greehouse gas cause in termperature? Is it positive (where climate changes at a very high rate), or is it negative (where termperaqtures tend to return to historic levels). That is where the debate truly lies.
2. How many themometers readings would it take to arrive at an average global termperature? If you guessed 1200 then you would agree with the NASA & GISS research methods. However, you would not know that this barely covers 1% of the land mass of the world. How many subsequent calculations are required to extrapolate those readings into a gloabal average change in temperature? What are the odds that they are correct and why don't these readings agree precisely with satellite measurments?

The rest is pretty easy to figure out.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

bakubo wrote: By the way, I recall after the big undersea earthquake caused tsunami in 2004 the CNN anchor, Aaron Brown, blamed it on global warming. :)
What did the Fox anchor blame it on? Global democracy?

David
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

For anyone desperately clinging to the occasional error or piece of human stupidity that has been found in various reports, my answer is simply take out what you consider the suspect bits and recalculate.

Just because an Indian glacier which has retreated some 3 km in the last 50 years and will disappear in the year 2200 rather than 2030 does not deny the loss of ice involved and the decreasing water supplies. The same goes for glaciers in South America, continental Europe, Greenland or the defrosting of the Siberian tundra.

Without going into complex mathematics or statistical targeting involved, the knock on effects are more likely to be logarithmic rather than arithmetic. A 2 C increase in summer temperatures does not increase power consumption by just a couple of percent, or the increase in water or the number or intensity of wildfires. Which then not only increases the gases released into the atmosphere but damages agricultural production, the productivity of water flows into dams etc and increases the health costs of the entire region.

Here endeth the sermon and I will go silent on the topic. :mrgreen:
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

What I'm curious about is, there is nary a peep about the worlds volcanos from the climate change experts, about 60 are active, spewing stuff into the atmosphere. Mt Pinatubo alone dumped millions of tons of sulphur dioxide into the atmosphere....the plume went more than 30 Kilometers up into the stratosphere.
My question is, what part do volcanos play in this, lots? some? not much? has anyone bothered to ask?
Greg
jbtaylor

Volcanos play no part in the global warming equation. Why? Because you cannot tax a volcano.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Very cynical that, you can't tax a volcano....I like it.
Greg
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Beautiful!
jbtaylor wrote:Alright Yildiz. You asked for snow, you got it. You can start whenever you wish.

Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jbtaylor

Thanks Pako. Except for one spot healing stroke, the image is right out of the camera. I thought about bracketing out the bottom but I didn't want to touch it.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

There hasn't been much change here since I last posted, up until today that is.
Rain: Lots Temp: 32 C Humidity: 90% Wind: 0-5Kt

Heading home after work, the dang light changed before I could make sure the camera actually focussed on what I wanted....not sure what it did end up focussing on....

A700 KM28-75(D)
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Today in Sophia-Antipolis, south east France. The entire region is in panik and alert. Even a small sight of snow frightens many people (though the Alps are so close) :? . Today we got 15cm of snow, never seen in the 10 years I am here. People started returning home from work at 10am, scared not to be able to return.
I know you from Scotland or Canada just laugh at this :mrgreen: (and so do I, having had a snowy childhood).

Sorry for the bad quality - cellphone :wink:
snow1sm.jpg
snow1sm.jpg (117.27 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
snow2sm.jpg
snow2sm.jpg (102.81 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
snow4sm.jpg
snow4sm.jpg (153.27 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Greg, :)

Lovely 'in the traffic' shot. I sort of like the trails of colourful car and traffic lights. Sort of brings the scene more 'life'.

Thanks for sharing!

Hi Bossel, :)

Just the out-the-window' scene I wish to see for Istanbul so I can kick around some snow mounts in the garden... :)

Good ones for a cell phone. You know that some think cellphone photo-art is more appriable, don't you? I've seen many such on the Internet.

I like those trees very much and they look great when loaded with soft, fresh snow that resembles cotton fibres. My favourite is the tree in the third photo.

Thanks for sharing your weather!

Yildiz
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Same pics - experimenting with b&w and +contrast. Is this better than the originals?
Attachments
snow1bw.jpg
snow1bw.jpg (155.75 KiB) Viewed 3562 times
snow4bw.jpg
snow4bw.jpg (217.53 KiB) Viewed 3562 times
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Yes, I think they are much more striking in B&W. The tree in the first looks great to my eyes... :)

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

It showered...It poured...it rained...it drizzled in Istanbul until 14:30 hours and then Sun showed up all of a sudden until its regular setting time.

It was a busy day for the city just as any traffic-prone city; tram cables; cars honking; people rushing after the rain...and all..
And just as the Sun's light beams were at the right angle before disappearing in the horizon I decided I wanted to shoot some patterns of architecture and embellishments.

Istanbul:
12° C | 6° C
Rainy
Moderate winds

Galata Tower and Cables
BusyBusyCity.jpg
(499.1 KiB) Downloaded 1479 times
PatternsAtSundownLight 1.jpg
(669 KiB) Downloaded 1479 times
PatternsAtSundownLight 2.jpg
(1004.02 KiB) Downloaded 1479 times
Last edited by aster on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

I like the composition and golden light in #2 & #3 :D . In #1, the tower is a bit too centered for my taste :wink: