Weather Today- in Your Vicinity

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Weather Today- in Your Vicinity

Unread post by aster »

After DavidAntony's partly cloudy Fraser river banks in SW. British Columbia, we have a rainy day in Istanbul.

Dogs don't mind a long walk in the rain, in fact this one also enjoyed a nice run... :D

Yildiz

Istanbul:
9° C | 6° C
Rainy

Not my dog but it allowed me to pet and half-hug it and then joyously barked and ran after its owner. The umbrella is mine though... :) I'm not that immune to raindrops like our furry friends...
WalkingInTheRain.jpg
(1002.22 KiB) Downloaded 1353 times
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

jbtaylor wrote:Documenting the 2nd blizzard in the last 60 days.
A really interesting series jb - seeing the mail boxes start to disappear is a bit worrying. I do not envy you the shovelling required. Hope you are stayimng warm inside. The BBC weather site says "record snowfall on US East Coast" - I guess this covers you (literally!)?
aster wrote:Congratulations on your new CZ Jena, Birma.
Thanks Yildiz. An almost carbon copy day here, so I didn't take another picture - the view is the same as yesterday's :(

I like you rainey day dog - you can almost see the smile on his face.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Sunny day and went with my elder son to the movie (you can guess from the posters). 5 degrees C
Attachments
Cinema.jpg
(165.45 KiB) Downloaded 1344 times
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Nice photos so far.. Yildiz, I love the dog. And may I just say that I am jealous of any of ya'll that have sunshine.....I am tired of the grey cloud cover here! :(
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
Mike
Oligarch

Blizzard of 2010

Unread post by Mike »

Looks like we survived the "Blizzard of 2010." Power just came back on after being out for 36 hours, just in time for the Super Bowl, life is good!

Friday, after the snow started.
before.jpg
before.jpg (240.96 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
Saturday, just before the snow ended.
after.jpg
after.jpg (184.86 KiB) Viewed 3776 times
Mike
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Fine looking dog Yildiz, is he an apartment dog? nice photo.

Looks like a grand old movie house Doc, so that is where
the beast is situated! I really like your updated photo of him.

Mike 36 hours is a long time without power especially in that
weather. really nice photos. Enjoy the game ;^)
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Alright Yildiz. You asked for snow, you got it. You can start whenever you wish.

Some others I took while digging my way out.

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Dr. Harout wrote:Sunny day and went with my elder son to the movie (you can guess from the posters). 5 degrees C
That building's interesting Dr. Harout.

I usually go to the movie theatres that are inside the shopping malls. More convenient sometimes because the Sony Centers and the other technology shops are situated there too. I like looking through books and cameras and other stuff before and after the movie.

So that's where the statue was situated. That's pretty hard work with lots of welding but it definitely is a fine art piece.

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Birma wrote:I like you rainey day dog - you can almost see the smile on his face.
Thanks Birma.
He certainly was a very well behaving dog. I enjoyed his presence and his playful hug. :)
Juanito200 wrote:Nice photos so far.. Yildiz, I love the dog.
Thank you John.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll have some sunshine beaming down on your place soon. The world is too round for the clouds to persist to stay over your location...They soon will head to where we are probably. Everyone needs to get a share of the 'feeling blue' in turn. :)

Mike;

That's some fine snow accumulation! You could easily have had a tournement called 'Super Snow Ball' with so much nice snow had the electricity not come. And your town would win too!

david antony wrote:Fine looking dog Yildiz, is he an apartment dog? nice photo.
Thank you David Antony,

Yes, he sort of is. One of the most friendly and smart ones that are very good companions.

Thanks Jbtaylor,

I'm very happy that you actually have the means for me to shovel away some to my garden and I'd be happy to do it too! I'm ready..Set..and GO! :)

In fact, last night I was designing a machine that would transfer the snow to my place: It's a sort of vacuum cleaner with a very long tunnel like hose that is lifted into the atmosphere by balloons and that finally has an opening to my street and garden.
Very hard work...but beaming it over here effortlessly is yet to be worked on. :)

And Jbtaylor, those are very nice closeups with a smooth DoF and fancy abstract details that you captured among the curves. But I especially like the middle photo with the wirework fly / creature which looks as though an alien life was hit by the blizzard and fell lifeless onto the snow. Nice contrast and nice background...

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Mike
Oligarch

Calm between storms

Unread post by Mike »

Here are some pictures from the calm between storms.
After round 1 part1.jpg
After round 1 part1.jpg (163.88 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
After round 1 part2.jpg
After round 1 part2.jpg (168.7 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
After round 1 part3.jpg
After round 1 part3.jpg (201.58 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
It looks like we got about 32 inches in the last round. The average yearly snowfall for this area is 22 inches. This year we've already had two storms within the top 10 accumulations on record for this area. And ... there is currently storm watch forecasting 10 to 20 inches by Wednesday evening. Charging up all the batteries.

Mike
Ewannawe
Oligarch

Unread post by Ewannawe »

Not to worry, climate change is just a myth. :shock:

I see your local authority keeps the roads clear with snow plows though, only the main roads got done here in the last fall leaving a lot of estates either blocked off or very hazardous.

On a slightly serious note it really is quite amazing the amount of people who think the first statement is true, given the quantity of scientific data out there that refutes it.
Reality is merely illusion, albeit a persistent one. ~ Albert Einstein
To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge. ~ Benjamin Disraeli
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Ewannawe wrote:Not to worry, climate change is just a myth. :shock:

On a slightly serious note it really is quite amazing the amount of people who think the first statement is true, given the quantity of scientific data out there that refutes it.
Global warming is what environmentalists call it. Clearly climate is different than when I was a child and the primary reason may very well be caused by activities of humans. I think most people will at least agree with that much. The big problem is that environmentalists have lost so much credibility because of how they have been going about it. Some supposedly credible people and organizations have been shown to not be credible. That doesn't mean they are wrong, just that they have had trouble being honest so it gives plenty of reason for those who are not sure to doubt even more.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opi ... le1458206/

It is also concerning that many of the most visible and vocal proponents of the need to do something about global warming show absolutely no concern in their personal lives about it. Flying around in private jets, living in mansions (or multiple mansions), driving around in big vehicles, etc. People such as Al Gore have a carbon footprint thousands or tens of thousands or maybe even hundreds of thousands of times larger than I do. He is not alone. The logical question is do they know something I don't? :)

In order to get a critical mass of people willing to take real action means that problems with the environmental movement such as these I mentioned need to be seriously addressed, IMO.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Weather here just ordinary, but some sunshine is beginning to feel a bit springlike. And our pink fir apple potatoes survived outside under the month of snow much better than the ones picked and stored indoors, just dug up a handful for dinner. No sign of frost damage at all.

Global warming - anyone my age has no idea anyway. At least in Britain, we grew up without central heating and we were used to dressing and behaving very differently. Most homes today are 5-10 degrees (F) warmer than they were kept in the 1950s, and we drive cars which provide a perfect microclimate within five minutes of setting off. Shops and offices are comfortable. We are so insulated from the weather we hardly see any difference between winter and summer, except the length of the days and the appearance of things around us.

My feeling is that we can't judge in any way, subjectively, what has happened to weather conditions. Photographs help inform us. Today's digital files will be of great future use. They record the date data. When GPS positional data arrives in every camera, recorded in every file, they will be even more valuable.

David
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

As a child, I remember years when we had lots of snow and days off of school, and days wen we had none. Just like we've had in the past few years. We also had the scorching summers and the mild ones. Some years there were barely any berries to gather in the woods, other years we had blackberries until we were sick of them, and Mom had to freeze them for use in the winter. I don't live near those woods anymore (what's left of them), but the few in my back yard produced abundantly last year. The mulberry tree out front has shown the ups and downs of various seasons.

Over all, I can't see significant change. I don't think regular people will do anything about perceived climate change unless and until the alarmists start acting like it's real, and the climate change scientists are not getting paid to come up with theories. After all, most of the global warming scientists were telling us 25 years ago that a new Ice Age was coming!

Dusty
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I am sort of skeptical, especially with regards to the human caused part. There are many natural forces at work and have always been at work that have caused climate changes and also the cyclical climate changes that always happen. Still, I am not ruling it out. Just I am not so sure that it has been proven even though lots of politicians and activists say it is proven.

By the way, I recall after the big undersea earthquake caused tsunami in 2004 the CNN anchor, Aaron Brown, blamed it on global warming. :)