Tiny sensor revenge gallery thread!

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Tiny sensor revenge gallery thread!

Unread post by bakubo »

sury wrote:Though I miss commenting on your posts, in general they are very delightful not just for the technique
or the composition but the stories they tell through the images and your narratives. I always get to feel
that I was there or at the least wish I was there. Thank you for sharing. If I can get a tenth of the ability
to capture and tell a story that many on this forum convey, I would be so lucky.
Thanks, Sury. And also, thanks, Toni. Sometimes I am in the mood to tell a bit of the backstory (or sometimes make a joke :lol: ).

I was walking around Makomanai in Sapporo a couple of weeks ago and stopped and bought a Coke Zero at a machine. I sat down on a bench and noticed that next to the bench a bunch of red berries that had fallen from a tree had been lined up on a concrete ledge next to the bench. This is just a photo of a few of them, but there were more. I am sure that earlier some little child had been there, maybe sitting with his/her mother, and had done it. :)

While sitting on the same bench I saw this old woman approaching:

A woman at Sapporo station oblivious to the danger:

I hope others will continue to post here. Please do.

Although I have been shooting raw exclusively with all my cameras that support it starting in 2006 (before that I shot raw for just some photos) I have recently gone back to mostly shooting jpegs with the 12mp Canon G16 and G15. The main reason is that the raw file sizes are so big (bigger than 16mp Olympus E-M5). For most of the photos I take with the G16 I have decided the benefits I get from raw (increased DR, etc.) are usually not worth the much bigger files sizes. Generally, raw files are about 6 times larger than a jpeg.
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Kalainen »

bakubo wrote: Although I have been shooting raw exclusively with all my cameras that support it starting in 2006 (before that I shot raw for just some photos) I have recently gone back to mostly shooting jpegs with the 12mp Canon G16 and G15. The main reason is that the raw file sizes are so big (bigger than 16mp Olympus E-M5). For most of the photos I take with the G16 I have decided the benefits I get from raw (increased DR, etc.) are usually not worth the much bigger files sizes. Generally, raw files are about 6 times larger than a jpeg.
The other thing that's negative about raw's is the fact one must start from the scratch - no contrast, balnd colors etc. Of course one can edit them however, but I would appreciate if raw-editors had same kind of 'intelligence' as camera's jpeg-engines and one would not have to start from the scratch but had all the flexibility..

-Toni

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Year of the Alpha - 52 Weeks of Sony Alpha Photography: http://www.yearofthealpha.com
Flickr-account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/109262328@N06/
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

I love the shot with the red berries.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Kalainen wrote: The other thing that's negative about raw's is the fact one must start from the scratch - no contrast, balnd colors etc. Of course one can edit them however, but I would appreciate if raw-editors had same kind of 'intelligence' as camera's jpeg-engines and one would not have to start from the scratch but had all the flexibility..
In my case, I don't shoot jpegs with the G16 for that reason though. It is strictly a matter of the huge raw file size. I prefer shooting raw and have zero problems easily doing pp to get it the way I want it to look (currently with LR, before with PS/ACR and PSE/ACR). I still always shoot raw with my E-M5 and occasionally with the G16 too if the image is one that I want to get the most out of. In fact as I wrote in my G16/G15 thread a long time ago, when I shoot jpegs with the G16 and all other cameras going back to 2000 I try to create a jpeg that is most amenable to pp. With the G16 that means I set the following in order to retain as much useful data in the jpeg as I can:

- contrast set to minimum
- sharpening set to minimum
- saturation reduced
- high ISO noise reduction set to low (unfortunately there is not an off setting)

The result is a rather ugly jpeg that is rather flat, soft, and drab looking. Then I always do pp on the jpeg in LR.
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

Lets not allow this thread to die!

Like the red berries - try some in black.... Leica DLux-4.

And Leica Digilux 2 underwater from (obviously) behind glass.

Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Nice shots Tony.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
the_hefay
Viceroy

Now I need to go find some blackberry cobbler. Thanks Tony. By the way, nice shots.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Tony, thanks for posting! Cool shot of the crocodile. I guess that is a crocodile anyway. :)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Something that has not been widely reported yet (probably the government is trying to keep it under wraps) is that Tokyo is being invaded by Giant Bimbo Robots! We are all living in dread wondering what they do to anyone they lure into their seats. :shock:

sury

Unread post by sury »

Nice colors, Henry!hiccup! Would Bimbo and Robot be oxymoron? Curious. :D

Sury
Sinan
Acolyte

Unread post by Sinan »

This is from Nikon P300 Compact: F2.5, ISO 160, 1/500 S.

Sony A55 Tamron 18-200 | Minolta 50 1.4 | Tamron 17-50 | Sony 35 1.8 | Tamron 90 | Sony 55-300 | Tamron 60 | Sony 16-50 | Sony 16-105 | Samyang 85 1.4 | Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 50 2.8 | Sony RX100 II 1.8 | Photo Against Photo
sury

Unread post by sury »

Spooky but nice, Sinan.

Sury
the_hefay
Viceroy

great close-up Sinan.
Sinan
Acolyte

Unread post by Sinan »

Thank you guys
Sony A55 Tamron 18-200 | Minolta 50 1.4 | Tamron 17-50 | Sony 35 1.8 | Tamron 90 | Sony 55-300 | Tamron 60 | Sony 16-50 | Sony 16-105 | Samyang 85 1.4 | Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 50 2.8 | Sony RX100 II 1.8 | Photo Against Photo
Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

Nice bimbos, Henry! Reminds me of the song - "Nice face, shame about the legs" :D :D

Sinan, what on earth is it?
Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning