I call him Grassback, but you can post any photo

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: I call him Grassback, but you can post any photo

Unread post by aster »

Great shots!

I love how the lion looks your way while the giraffe is busy eating leaves in the background, a true feel of the wilderness.

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great safari picture Henry - could be from a travel brochure!
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

aster wrote:I love how the lion looks your way while the giraffe is busy eating leaves in the background, a true feel of the wilderness.
Thanks. Yes, I purposely composed it that way. When you are in a vehicle you don't get lots of choice, usually, in how images are composed, the background, etc. Generally, about all you can choose is your focal length. Also, surprise!, wild animals don't always cooperate and put their body in the way you want so a lot of it is just luck. :) They are a lot like people in that way. :D
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bakubo wrote:
aster wrote:I love how the lion looks your way while the giraffe is busy eating leaves in the background, a true feel of the wilderness.
Thanks. Yes, I purposely composed it that way. When you are in a vehicle you don't get lots of choice, usually, in how images are composed, the background, etc. Generally, about all you can choose is your focal length. Also, surprise!, wild animals don't always cooperate and put their body in the way you want so a lot of it is just luck. :) They are a lot like people in that way. :D

I think it's pretty admirable that you got a peaceful shot of two very differently self-feeding wild animals in the same frame; one vegetarian and one flesh-hunting carnivore very close to eachother but also not taking much notice of one an other.

:) Lucky you!

Yildiz
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

These are at Lake Manyara, Tanzania in 1993 taken with Minolta 7xi + Sigma 24mm f2.8:

chriznatch
Initiate

Unread post by chriznatch »

Here is a shot from a recent trip to Yosemite with my buddy Cromwell.
Attachments
Yosemite-03719_3.jpg
Yosemite-03719_3.jpg (106.57 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Love the shots from the lake shore Henry. Great quality from scans - they look very clear and 'digital' (meant to be a compliment :D ).

Cromwell looks better than his name-sake Chris! He obviously doesn't mind the snow.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

chriznatch wrote:Here is a shot from a recent trip to Yosemite with my buddy Cromwell.
With all that fur he doesn't seem to mind the snow at all. :) It reminds me of Grand Tetons NP and Yellowstone NP when we were there last year. It was late April/early May and still lots of snow.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Love the shots from the lake shore Henry. Great quality from scans - they look very clear and 'digital' (meant to be a compliment :D ).
On that Africa trip I mostly used Fujichrome 100 and Ektachrome Elite 100 (both slide films) so these 2 shots were taken on one of those. I have found that scanning slide film the results for color are usually a lot better than scanning color negative film, but the shadow density of slide film is higher so sometimes you can get noise there. The noise can usually be reduced a lot by multi-scanning so that is usually what I would do. The grainier, clumpier noise from color negative film though is harder to deal with and just getting good colors from negative film is harder. I have some color negative scans where the color is okay, but a lot where they just don't look all that good compared to slide film and digital. Converting a slide or negative scan to B&W though usually can look quite good.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Me and My Shadow, Elephants at Etosha National Park, Namibia. Taken with Minolta 7xi in 1993.

Elephant at night at a waterhole in Etosha National Park, Namibia. Taken with Minolta 7xi + Minolta 50mm f1.7 + Minolta 3200i flash in 1993. Could not get any closer to this waterhole and the elephant was barely visible in the dark and shadows so using Fujichrome 400 slide film, f1.7, slow shutter speed, and flash I was able to get the elephant illuminated a bit along with the red after-sunset sky.

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

The University of Texas at Austin tower after UT won the national football championship in January 2006. Shot with KM 7D.

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

"Hey Mom, I can see Botswana!" (Botswana is the antipodal point of Waikiki)

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hehe - good one Henry :lol:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Hehe - good one Henry :lol:
I wonder if he can also see the Ghost Elephants? :D
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

I call him Ballnose?

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Om nom nom.
Kevin Barrett