Waterfalls shots?

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
thefreebird01
Acolyte

Waterfalls shots?

Unread post by thefreebird01 »

Would like some feedback on these shots. First attempt at waterfalls. Whatever your thoughts are, I'd like to hear from you. Thanks Tim B.

All three using the A700 and the CZ16-80
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Waterfalls shots?

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Lovely shots, Tim! The second here is really stunning with it's beautiful saturation and the boldness to break up the waterfal with foreground trees. (btw, I fixed your image links)
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
motor
Heirophant

Unread post by motor »

Hello all! I didn't know where to put these. I figured I'd either put it under the waterfalls or weather for the day so I guess it is going under waterfalls. I took my yearly " 13th marriage" anniversary trip last weekend with my camera, wife and camper. (Notice I said camera first) No........she is all good with it she took a couple 1000 shots too :) We went to Watkins glen, Buttermilk falls and several others in the Finger Lakes Region of NY. First of all all I can say is it didn't pour cats and dogs it dumped elephants all weekend. So the shots are very sharp but because I was using my variable ND filter and ND filters everything is smudged because of the rain drops and wind. I know Lonnie you will appreciate this comment that I was given. Along with the waterfalls. As I was setting up at Watkins in the huge storm this guy was standing beside me watching. He whips out this Nikon III something with a built in grip and the 24-70 2.8 mounted and takes a shot. His camera is 5-6 times more than mine and his comment was (That lens is unbelievable!) I was using the 580 with grip and the 24-70ZA. I was getting shots he couldn't even touch on focus wise. We had the same settings shooting in M mode, 2 second timer etc. on a tripod. Anyway just wanted to toot OUR horns. A nikon guy really gave us a compliment on our lenses. He had a really cool geared manfrotto head and gear out the wazoo. He had some serious money invested. I would not consider him a walk by night guy. He knew all the terms and looked professional. I respect the comment simply for any dumb idiot ME AND HIM standing in a down pour with a couple $4000 plus worth of equipment to shoot a waterfall has to be devoted or DUMB :)

I took some 3000 so narrowing it down to three is really tough! Enjoy

Moater
Attachments
Buttermilk-3.jpg
Buttermilk-3.jpg (133.62 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
watkins3.jpg
watkins3.jpg (127.2 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
falls3.jpg
falls3.jpg (144.1 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

On No 2 cropping out the sky and retouching the intruding branch/pole - maybe with some cloning to fill the sky a little better - helps.
adjustedwaterfall.jpg
adjustedwaterfall.jpg (104.26 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
This is just a very quick crude working of the small file of course. You could do more careful work to allow the top of the waterfall to appear, but remove the distracting sky and intrusions.

David
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Wonderful water over the falls Motor - the movement looks perfect. #2 looks very "Tolkien-esque" :D
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi,

All are great shots of the various falling waters and I must say David's tighter version does give a more complete feeling.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Nice shots Tim, sized up a bit more would be nicer. ;^)

Thats a great spot Motor. Love the photos.

I took one in the Fraser Canyon a little while back, it was not quite right. I just gave it DKs treatment and now it seems half decent.

Original

Cropped
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Very nice shot DA :D . I have noticed this issue with waterfall before; when you're at the bottom your in a dark place so when looking up the sky is always going to be blown out. I have found it tricky to get a satisfactory top to the fall, while also cutting out any sky - your shot her works well.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.