Some weekend fun

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Some weekend fun

Unread post by Javelin »

Took the girls (wife and daughter) to the Fergus truck show. we hadn't realized it existed and made a last minute decision to make an afternoon of it when an ad came on the radio. I though it would be a good place to exercise my newest addition. a Minolta 19-35 F2.8, I must say it was a joy to shoot with for this environment but my beercan and 100mm also got some use too.

When we got there the girls weren't all that interested in the trucks but there was midway so thats the entrance we picked. they were offering helicopter rides for a reasonable price and my daughter really wanted to go, one of her dreams was to ride a chopper one day so she was excited and nervous.

1) All belted in

2) Some last minute instruction. The pilot was a girl not much older than my daughter.

3)Little nervous during the run up.

4)Lift off

5)Pretty pleased so far

7) theres lots more of those in the series but I wont bore you. Next we were off for some rides. Their favorite ride to be on together is the Scrambler, though this one was called by a different name.

8) G force!

9)Nailed this one. The last time I attempted this shot and seceded was on my old old Sony P50 and was a genuine fluke, The shot is almost the exact same in composition and subject position/expression only 7 years apart and my daughter could barely see over the bar. This is a lot sharper and I can print bigger than 5x7.

10)MOM he's squishing me , get him to stop!

11)Some moms get squished too, By this time the poor tyke can't see anything anymore

12)Sometimes you have to take an elbow when you play hockey ... this one was probably unexpected though

13)My favorites from the day

14) How to zonk out a 15 year old 101 (they sure don't build them like they used to).
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Some weekend fun

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Looks like a really nifty place for a bit of family fun, I remember my first helicopter ride, it was a real thrill, I reckon everyone should go for a ride in one at least once.
Some very good exposures there btw, those high speed captures aren't as easy as they look, top work.
Greg
ps I spent the day repairing the front facia board ( a few spots of dry rot ) in preperation for mounting the new gutter...it was a blast. :wink:
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I know what you mean. I did the eaves this morning. but rain chased me back in before I could get to some other things.

The scrambler shots were a lot easier with this camera than they were with my P50 where I had to deal with shutter lag. many more keepers this time compared to then. it's too bad the pics have to be so small vbecause it's hard to tell how sharp these came out. I didn;t have to sharpenthem at all cept the camera is set to +1 and they look ever sharpened if you add more but I find resizing them this small softens them a little
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Dry rot? Must mean something different! If we get dry rot, that's your house being ripped apart for months. Those are great record of the heli experience for your daughter and the rides are well captured too.

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Dry rot? Must mean something different! If we get dry rot, that's your house being ripped apart for months. Those are great record of the heli experience for your daughter and the rides are well captured too.

David
Hi David,
I think you guys get some nasty fungus that attacks the wood, I think we get it here as well but I don't think it's as bad for some reason, the sort of damage I was fixing was where the water had affected the timber in a small spot here and there, (caused by the old fashioned gutter brackets) fairly easily fixed with a 1/2" drill and some dowel and araldite.... just another chore. :roll:
Greg
ps And using a better gutter bracket the next time.