Visiting the past in Virginia (Olympus/Panasonic m4/3 gear)

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Visiting the past in Virginia

Unread post by bakubo »

Dusty wrote: How can we forget? Besides being a Seger fan from way back, it's the theme from "Mask", the only good movie that Cher ever did.
Yeah, I always liked Bob Seger too. I generally don't like Cher that much either, but I liked her a lot in Mask and Moonstruck -- both good movies.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I just saw an email from Olympus that says the E-M5 is on special for $899. This is the first big price drop I have seen on it since it came out about 17 months ago for $999 (which is what I paid in May 2012).
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Henry will you pick up another one?
Price is coming down quite a bit here too it's about £250 less than the initial (too pricey IMO) asking of £999
I would think maybe that signals a newer model coming along later in the year?
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I have no need for another one, but if my current E-M5 was stolen or lost then I would probably get a new one. Or, whatever the current model is. After all, I have 6 Olympus and Panasonic m4/3 lenses + 2 legacy lenses with adapters (Minolta MC Rokkor-X PG 50mm f1.4 & Yashica ML 55mm f2.8 macro) + flash. Olympus sometimes has a sale for a short period and then raises prices again so it will be interesting to see if this $899 price sticks, goes down more, or goes back up. Mostly I have been pretty happy with the E-M5. The ergonomics could be better, but I have sort of adapted to them as best I can. The size/weight advantage means I am willing, reluctantly, to accept some compromises in other areas. The NEX 7 shows that even a small body can still have pretty good ergonomics (not talking about the NEX menu, etc., just the body shape, placement of controls & EVF, and so on). The E-M5 wakeup from sleep is longer than I would like so I hope that gets improved. I heard somewhere that the new E-P5 is faster.

Yes, almost surely newer models will come along. Well, as long as Olympus stays in the camera business. I saw a rumor yesterday that 3 new models are expected this fall, but I don't know if they will be OMD or PEN or both.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

By the way, I played with the new E-P5 at a store this week. The ergonomics are better, IMO, than the E-M5. It doesn't have a built-in EVF though. If it had one over on the left corner like the NEX 7 then it would be more interesting to me. You can add the new external EVF, but then you have a big, clunky lump on top that will always be getting caught on things, risk getting bumped and damaged, and make quickly getting the camera in/out of a bag or pack problematic. When the EVF is attached for use though it is quite nice. It can tilt like the old Minolta D7i and it is up higher so your eye and hand position is better. Having an EVF over in the left corner though seems to be about the best compromise.
Last edited by bakubo on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I was in a bookstore yesterday while my wife was doing some shopping and I thumbed through some of the photo/camera magazines. I see that the E-M5 is still being advertised. This is the back of one of the magazines. I had the G15 hanging from my neck so I just pressed the shutter button without looking through the VF or using the LCD.
IMG_1360.jpg
(134.58 KiB) Downloaded 4792 times
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:I just saw an email from Olympus that says the E-M5 is on special for $899. This is the first big price drop I have seen on it since it came out about 17 months ago for $999 (which is what I paid in May 2012).
By the way, although I paid $999 for my E-M5 in May 2012 it included a free FL-300R flash which at the time was selling for $170 so that made my E-M5 net price $829. I guess the current $899 price isn't really all that good, although since I bought the E-M5 with the free flash the price has been $999 for the camera only.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:I have taken some photos using some of the new gear that I bought recently:

Olympus E-M5 body
Panasonic G3 body
Olympus 14-150mm f4-5.6
Olympus 9-18mm f4-5.6
Panasonic 20mm f1.7
Panasonic 14mm f2.5
Panasonic 45-200mm f4-5.6
Panasonic 14-42mm f3.5-5.6

In Virginia I was using the E-M5 + 14-150mm although I have the other stuff along on the road trip.
I have found the Olympus 14-150mm f4-5.6 (fov 28-300mm) to be very good. Here is a new review that shows that it is a pretty impressive lens of this type:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olymp ... view-22983

At 14mm, sharpness in the centre of the frame is already outstanding at maximum aperture. Peak sharpness across the frame is achieved between f/5.6 and f/8 for this focal length where clarity is excellent towards the edges of the frame, while it remains outstanding in the centre.

With the zoom set to 45mm, sharpness levels are still outstanding in the centre of the frame at maximum aperture and the lens performs excellently towards the edges of the frame. Peak sharpness across the frame is achieved at f/8 for this focal length and sharpness is outstanding from edge to edge.

Finally, at 150mm, there is a slight drop in performance, but sharpness is still excellent in the centre of the frame at maximum aperture and very good towards the edges of the frame.

Superzoom lenses are not usually known for delivering excellent quality images, and are instead, normally considered a bit of a compromise. This 14-150mm lens from Olympus bucks that trend, delivering excellent sharpness in the centre of the frame throughout the zoom range. This is achieved in a lightweight, compact design that doesn't compromise on convenience either.

For travel and for walking around (95% of my photography) I have been very happy with this small, light lens on the E-M5. I used it a lot in Nepal, Bali, Japan, Hawaii, and other places.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I saw this posted today. I have had my E-M5 since May 2012 and it is still going strong. The longest I have used a digital camera since I started buying them in January 2000.

E-M5 successor has sensor shift to create up to 40 megapixel images on the fly

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-e-m5-succes ... n-the-fly/

The new Olympus camera coming during the first week of February will be called Olympus E-M5II (or E-M5 Mark II). And the big new feature of the camera is “sensor shift” shooting. The camera has a 16 Megapixel sensor that can shoot up to 40 Megapixel by shifting the sensor (in up to 8 frames of single shots).

This feature alone is not enough to get me to rush out and buy one. I don't care about more megapixels for the stuff I usually photograph. Of course, this new thing is only good for static subjects, but for landscapers, etc. who want more pixels then this might be useful while still having a nice, small camera kit.
Last edited by bakubo on Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Kalainen »

bakubo wrote:I saw this posted today. I have had my E-M5 since May 2012 and it is still going strong. The longest I have used a digital camera since my first one bought in January 2000.

E-M5 successor has sensor shift to create up to 40 megapixel images on the fly

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-e-m5-succes ... n-the-fly/

The new Olympus camera coming during the first week of February will be called Olympus E-M5II (or E-M5 Mark II). And the big new feature of the camera is “sensor shift” shooting. The camera has a 16 Megapixel sensor that can shoot up to 40 Megapixel by shifting the sensor (in up to 8 frames of single shots).

This feature alone is not enough to get me to rush out and buy one. I don't care about more megapixels for the stuff I usually photograph. Of course, this new thing is only good for static subjects, but for landscapers, etc. who want more pixels then this might be useful while still having a nice, small camera kit.
You're right. It's not about the megapixels, but makes you wonder the imaginativeness of the manufacturers. There is always something new coming. Nevertheless, I have to say I think digital camera is already a very 'finished product' in itself.

-Toni

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Year of the Alpha - 52 Weeks of Sony Alpha Photography: http://www.yearofthealpha.com
Flickr-account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/109262328@N06/
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Kalainen wrote: You're right. It's not about the megapixels, but makes you wonder the imaginativeness of the manufacturers. There is always something new coming. Nevertheless, I have to say I think digital camera is already a very 'finished product' in itself.
Although the ergonomics of the E-M5 are not as good as they could be even within the constraints of the size, they are okay and I have been able to use it for the last 31 months with no problems. The 16mp sensor is still satisfying and even in newer m4/3 cameras they are still using basically the same sensor.

Olympus released E-M5 firmware 2.0 earlier this year with some new features so that was nice to see. A few weeks ago they released 2.1, but the notes said it was just to improve AF with the new 40-150mm f2.8 lens. Recently there have been multiple reports that it also speeds up the start up and wake up from sleep mode a lot. The wake up from sleep mode is one of the main things that I find annoying. It is about 1.5 seconds, but reports say it is faster with 2.1. I am very tempted to do the upgrade to 2.1, but I leave for a month in Thailand in a couple of days so I am very cautious now and don't want to brick my camera. :) Over the years I have never had a problem with a firmware update on any camera, but I don't do it just before a big trip. Murphy's Law, you know. :lol: I sure would like to have the faster wake up though. If I had seen the reports about it a month ago I would have done it already.

A couple of weeks ago I bought an Olympus 25mm f1.8 so I will take it to Thailand along with the other stuff. This time I will leave the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 behind.
Last edited by bakubo on Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

A few weeks ago I bought an Olympus E-M10. It is in many ways an improved and more refined E-M5. I paid about $480 for a new one in Japan (advantageous exchange rate these days). Ergonomics are better and in many other ways also better, more refined.
Last edited by bakubo on Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I know that 3 years ago when I bought my Olympus E-M5 and a bunch of lenses there were some here who expected that Olympus would be gone by now and m4/3 would be pretty much dead. It may still happen, but so far things for us customers are looking pretty good. Here is a list of m4/3 bodies that have come out since I bought my E-M5:

Olympus PEN E-PM2
Olympus PEN E-PL5
Olympus PEN E-PL6
Olympus PEN E-PL7
Olympus PEN E-P5
Olympus OM-D E-M1
Olympus OM-D E-M10
Olympus OM-D E-M5 II
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF5
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7
Kodak Pixpro S-1

And the lenses that have come out since then:

Olympus 12-40mm f2.8
Olympus 40-150mm f2.8
Olympus 17mm f1.8
Olympus 25mm f1.8
Olympus 75mm f1.8
Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro
Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ power zoom pancake
Olympus 14-150mm f4-5.6 II
Olympus 9mm f8 fisheye bodycap
Olympus 15mm f8 bodycap
Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8
Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8
Panasonic 15mm f1.7
Panasonic 42.5 f1.2
Panasonic 12-32mm f3.5-5.6 pancake
Panasonic 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 II
Panasonic 45-150mm f4-5.6
Panasonic 45-175mm f4-5.6 power zoom
Sigma 19mm f2.8
Sigma 30mm f2.8
Sigma 60mm f2.8
Tamron 14-150mm f3.5-5.8
Kowa 8.5mm f2.8
Kowa 12mm 1.8
Kowa 25mm f1.8
Voigtländer 10.5mm f0.95
Voigtländer 17.5mm f0.95
Voigtländer 25mm f0.95
Voigtländer 42.5 f0.95
Samyang 7.5mm f3.5 fisheye
Samyang 10mm t3.1 cine
Samyang 12mm t2.2 cine
Samyang 16mm t2.2 cine
Samyang 24mm t1.5 cine
Samyang 35mm t1.5 cine
Samyang 50mm t1.5 cine
Samyang 85mm t1.5 cine
Samyang 8mm t3.8 fisheye cine
Samyang 300mm f6.3 mirror
Tokina 300mm f6.3 mirror
Kodak 14-42mm f3.5-5.6
Kodak 42.5-160mm f/3.9-5.9
Kodak 400mm f6.7

Olympus has announced that this year there will also be 7-14mm f2.8, 8mm f1.8 fisheye, and 300mm f4 released. These lenses from the last 32 months are in addition to all the m4/3 lenses that were available already when I bought the E-M5.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Congrats on the M10 Henry. I was wondering if you may have been tempted by a M5 mk II. Seeing the list of bodies all written down together is a bit mind blowing. We are certainly in a time of rapid replacement when it comes to camera bodies.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Congrats on the M10 Henry. I was wondering if you may have been tempted by a M5 mk II.
I looked at the E-M5 II, but the new stuff in it is not of much interest to me. The E-M10 addresses most of the areas I hoped for improvement though. It is really an improved, more refined E-M5. So many of the little annoying things about the E-M5 have been improved or fixed in it. I made the following list of valued changes awhile back.

I have had my E-M5 since May 2012 and mostly have liked it. Much smaller and lighter for travel than the DSLRs that I used to use. It is very responsive like a DSLR and single AF is quick and reliable. There are several things that annoy me about it though and my month in Thailand that recently ended reminded me of those things all over.

The E-M10 also fixes several of the things I dislike about my E-M5. Here are some of the pluses compared to the E-M5:

- 0 second anti-shock setting
- MySets can be assigned to mode dial
- built-in flash (for a quick pop of outdoor fill flash)
- lower EVF housing for a more sleek, smoother top
- rear buttons have better feel and are slightly larger
- buttons just above the LCD are better placed and easier to press
- higher resolution rear LCD

After using my E-M5 for the last 33 months I have now had an E-M10 for a few weeks. After using it I am quite happy with it. It really does come across as a more refined E-M5 with many of the annoying things fixed or modified. It seems to be just as well made and sturdy as my E-M5. I use my left eye to the EVF and these days wear eyeglasses so keep that in mind with regards to some of my comments regarding ergonomics.

- Front and rear control wheels are a bit higher which makes them easier to get at.
- Front control wheel is a bit more forward and that makes it easier to use especially with the ECG-1 grip installed.
- Rear buttons are larger.
- Shutter button is larger.
- Buttons have much better tactile feel. The E-M5 buttons are mushy and sometimes you have to press them more than once to get them to work.
- The Fn1 and Play buttons are much easier to access and press. The thick E-M5 LCD and the location of those buttons made them very poor.
- EVF hump is not as tall and the hotshoe doesn't stick out much. The E-M5 hotshoe sticks out and has sharper edges. It would sometimes get caught on my clothes when I was quickly trying to get a shot.
- Built-in flash so don't have the tiny accessory E-M5 flash that resulted in 3 small plastic parts to take off, juggle, and keep track of in order to use. Also, very slow to get it installed or uninstalled because of all the parts. It would seem to me that the Olympus engineer who came up with that monstrosity did it while sitting in a quiet office, in a chair, with the camera on his desk. He obviously never tried to actually use it while standing on the street in a hot, humid, crowded, windy, raining place such as Saigon and trying to get the flash out of a pocket or camera bag and installed while also trying to not drop other things, keep your hat from flying off in the wind, not get jostled by people, and so on. :-)
- Shutter sound is even quieter than the already quiet E-M5. I am using the 0-second AS setting so I don't know if that has something to do with it.
- With the better E-M10 control wheel positions (higher than the E-M5) the ECG-1 grip improves things a lot. Only cost $44. I had tried the HLD-6 grip that costs $300 on the E-M5 in 2012 and didn't like it. The top part was all I was interested in, but with the lower E-M5 control wheels, the front control wheel a bit further back, and the design of the HLD-6 I found that it was hard for my index finger to get at the rear control wheel while using the grip. I have to use my index finger instead of my thumb because I use my left eye and the E-M5 is so cramped up on that side. Never had to do that with any SLRs/DSLRs over the years. With the E-M10 and ECG-1 though there are no problems.
- Eyecup is slightly better shaped to keep extraneous light out.
- The tripod socket is centered under the lens, but the E-M5 is offset. I don't care about this, but some people prefer a centered tripod socket.
- The E-M10 BLS-5 battery charger is a bit smaller than the E-M5 BLN-1 charger. Also, the cord that came with my E-M10 charger is 1/3 the length of the long E-M5 cord. I am happy about this. I always carry an extension cord with 3 outlets on it when I travel so I don't need nor want a long, unwieldy charger cord. The E-M10 cord is shorter and less to deal with.
- My 3rd party batteries use the Olympus BLS-5 charger, but the 3rd party batteries for my E-M5 needed their own, separate charger. Very happy about this!
- From all that I have read the only difference between the E-M10 3-axis IBIS and the E-M5 5-axis IBIS is that for close-ups the 5-axis is a bit better. In my use of the E-M10 so far it seems to be just as effective as the E-M5. For handheld close-ups and macros then the E-M5, I suppose, is a bit better if you are using slow shutter speeds. I don't take many handheld close-ups using slow shutter speeds so this seems like a total non-issue to me.
- The E-M10 has the new, faster, more powerful TruePic VII processor and the E-M5 has the older TruePic VI processor. I don't know how that relates to performance aspects of the E-M10, but a faster, more powerful processor is almost always better.
- The E-M10 is not rated as weather-sealed, but the E-M5 is. My thoughts about weather-sealing after 40+ years of using SLRs/DSLRs is that I have never had any weather related problems with any of my cameras so this isn't a big deal to me. The E-M5 was the first I have ever owned that claims to be weather-sealed. None of my lenses are though. My experience is that in most cases having weather-sealed cameras and lenses are not of much use for my photography anyway because the biggest problem with shooting in the rain is keeping the front element clean. I use a lens hood and UV filter, but unless there is no wind and you keep the lens always pointed downward you are still often going to get drops on the front of the lens. So, if you only shoot in the rain when there is no wind and you only point the camera downward then weather-sealing may be very helpful. When in the rain I just make a reasonable attempt to keep the camera and lens dry, but don't get anal retentive about it. When water gets on it then I try to wipe it off as soon as I can. Same for the front filter. Never had any problem. I do realize that some people on the forum feel that if they ever take the camera out of their living room then everything needs to be weather-sealed. :lol:
- The E-M10 wake-up from sleep mode is a bit faster than the E-M5.

To sum up, I am quite happy with the E-M10 at my cost of $480 for a new one. I saw a list of small firmware additions and changes someone made and there were lots of things improved in that area to compared to the E-M5.