Flowers 2013

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Ken M
Grand Caliph

Re: Flowers 2013

Unread post by Ken M »

A65 16mm-50mm 2.8
Tamron 72E 90mm 2.8 Macro
Sony 35mm 1.8 Sony
Sony 55-300mm and 55-200mm

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Very nice, Ken.

The second and the third are especially interesting with the trapped rain drops on the cobweb.

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Very interesting pictures Ken. Very strong colours, and I like the water droplets on the cobwebs. #3 for me :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I’m just experimenting again trying to get the colours to come out correctly, the yellow Hibiscus came out of the camera with an orange tint with flash fill (I had minus exposure dialled in) and after lots of experimenting with WB the rear screen view in each shot looked more orange than the actual flower did, and I still don’t think I got the yellow quite right in the end using RAW for PP but a lot closer to the real thing, none of the JPEG’s were close to the right colour either.

The Rose looked more orange too on the camera screen no matter what I did with settings, it should be post office red or like a very red tomato, that’s how it looked naturally to my eye.
I couldn’t get it quite right either in PP, I could get it redder on the computer screen with a pinkish tone or redder with a scarlet-vermillion tone but not quite PO red.

Tell me on your screens does it look PO red?
Getting exact yellows and reds is difficult I think.
Greg
A100 KM24-105
DSC04143.jpg
DSC04143.jpg (194.97 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
DSC04157.jpg
DSC04157.jpg (185.58 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Nice flowers Greg - I like the Rose shot especially. I feel you pain re. colour. Sometimes it seems impossible to get the colour of the digital image to match the real life view. I have most problems with blues! The Rose on my screen is a tad the 'blue' side of post office red (UK Post Office any how!).
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks Birma, yes I think you could interpret it as bluer perhaps, to me most of the Rose looks too pink in overall tone it’s not what you would call a red red, (the uppermost petal still looks scarlet on my screen so it’s not correct either).

The A100 makes a bit of a mess of processing yellows and reds sometimes, it tends to blend edges of the same colour together, underexposing seems to help a lot then it can be fixed almost back to normal afterwards…almost.

Greens seem to be always good in the A100 and blue seems ok too from what I can remember, (I just leave everything set to standard, but that only affects JPEG’s anyway) maybe Sony is still refining the colour system in later cameras, even now.
Greg
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

We have the summer! :)

Everything in the life unusual!
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Nice flowers Valery. Glad your summer has arrived too :)
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Greg, : )

I don't see any tomato reds in your last shots, if this helps any; it does come in a pinkish tone, like scarlet-vermillion. Since both Hibiscus and roses come also in the colours we see in your shots, I think we would never have guessed they actually were of an other red tone.

Thanks for sharing,

Hi Valery, :)

Beautiful...

The daisies are almost popping into our eyes in the first shot and it's always exciting to find a vivid coloured flower in the otherwise barren ground as is visible in the ssecond shot.

Welcome to Valery's summer!

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Some more Poppy shots from the weekend.

2013 Blackstone - Sunrise Poppies 1 by Birm, on Flickr

2013 Blackstone - Sunrise Poppy 1 by Birm, on Flickr

You can read about the trials and tribulations of getting to take these shots in Henry's "What would you like to photo" thread.

Both with A99, the first with Sigma 70-300 and the second with Tamron 90.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Great light and colour Birma, it was well worth the effort (and a tussle with the thistles), I guess you kept the sun out of the lens somehow, it doesn’t look like the sun affected the photos in any case.
Greg
Ps Thanks Yildiz, I’ve tinkered with the hue/saturation sliders in Elements some more and I can’t really get the deeper red I want without it turning pink so I’ll give up I think.
Pretty flowers ValeryD.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Greg :) . I was using lens hoods which probably helped a bit, but in cases where the sun was directly in the shot there was normally a few flare spots which I've cloned/healed out. I was also probably helped by the misty conditions which filtered the sun when it was very low.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

I see reds, oranges and great light in these shots.

The shallow field of focus in the field makes the field photo enchanting. This is entirely a red alien world.

Worth all the frictions with the thistles and the unfortunate fall. Glad you were there this early...

Thanks for sharing, Andy.

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Yildiz :) . The discomfort was worth it to be there on such a great morning. I apologise in advance as there are lot more Poppy shots to come. It is a bit like the Bluebell season again, but this time in red obviously ;) .
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Birma wrote:Thanks Yildiz :) . The discomfort was worth it to be there on such a great morning. I apologise in advance as there are lot more Poppy shots to come. It is a bit like the Bluebell season again, but this time in red obviously ;) .
We'll meet halfway with your 'apology' with a big 'thank you', Andy. It'll be like the illusion of virtual surfing on waves of a blossoming Red sea.

:) Thank you!

Yildiz