New Year's Day sunset

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

New Year's Day sunset

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

On New Year's Day I took the Canon 6D and the Alpha 77 (oddly enough) out for a drive for just one hour. The skies were clear with thin clouds forming gaps at the horizon, so I followed the sun and took a road I have never used. It was supposed to lead to Yetholm Loch, and water with a sunset could be good. Actually Yetholm Loch is a drab puddle in the bottom of a dark valley, so I continued on the one-track road dodging mud slicks and potholes.

I finally caught up with the sunset for a few shots with both camera of this copse of trees:

Both did well, though on the Canon 6D I was using Sigma's new 35mm f/1.4 which is one of the best lenses ever made in the history of lenses. On the Alpha 77 I was using the new type Sigma 18-250mm and my only advice is - look for the old 72mm filter thread OS model! The new one is dead ordinary and has none of the optical advantage of the generously designed monster 18-250mm. It's tiny like the Sony, and it performs like the Sony. It was fine for the shot above.

This was the view in the other direction, from a few yards back down the farm lane I had run down to get the sunset. This is Linton Kirk. It stands on a distinctive mound. I was told, 25 years ago, that the church was built on a historic site, Iron Age or Romano-British. There's either a previous temple site there, or a burial from a battle.

The A77 stabilisation enabled good enough images, though I do prefer using the A99.

David
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: New Year's Day sunset

Unread post by aster »

The trees in the first make the scene complete and I like the yellowish light in the Kirk shot, David.

Interesting that these to locations stand at opposite ends since the amount of light and the sky seem very different.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
RobbieA
Oligarch

Unread post by RobbieA »

I love the tree shot!

I also did some shooting but I used the A99.

The last sunrise of 2012 at Stellenbosch in Cape Town.

The first sunset of 2013 at Cape Town.

sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Dramatically different perspectives. While David's shot is demure and delicate, Robbie's sky is
vibrant and "in your face" bold. Both are tremendously enjoyable. Thank you gentlemen for providing
such visual pleasure.

One is a zephyr and the other is a gust, but blown away by both. :)

With best regards,
Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

All beautiful shots.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Ken M
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ken M »

you guys take great pictures.
A65 16mm-50mm 2.8
Tamron 72E 90mm 2.8 Macro
Sony 35mm 1.8 Sony
Sony 55-300mm and 55-200mm

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Wow - how did I miss these before - lovely pictures :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Great shots gents, although the processing Robbie did is a bit too much for me.

Mark
Wildieswife
Oligarch

Unread post by Wildieswife »

Love that first one! Simple and subtle. I'm very keen to catch the 'golden hour'.......when the light is there of course. I'm never up at dawn ;)

Pat
"Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now" Bob Dylan