My first pics here from botanical garden

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Maks
Acolyte

My first pics here from botanical garden

Unread post by Maks »

Hi!
All this photos taken yesterday with beercan and A100 in botanical garden (Minsk, Belarus). I like this lens for sharpness, nice colors and great bokeh.

Other photos you can see here: http://picasaweb.google.com/Maksim.Guz/200833
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: My first pics here from botanical garden

Unread post by Javelin »

pretty hard to miss the nice results from the beercan with these kinds of shots. the bird needs a little sign that say "please let me out"
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Hi Maks and welcome to the forum.
Excellent beginning I would say (with beautiful and sharp pictures). :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It looks as if you have had better conditions for flowers than we have in Britain. Today has been very windy and things are starting to get 'tired', but I do have some new roses coming on.

David
Maks
Acolyte

Unread post by Maks »

Thanks all for comments!
David Kilpatrick wrote:It looks as if you have had better conditions for flowers than we have in Britain. Today has been very windy and things are starting to get 'tired', but I do have some new roses coming on.

David
David, you are welcome to Belarus :) September promises to be warm and sunny here.
Jonathan K
Oligarch

Unread post by Jonathan K »

Hello there,

I believe it is time for me to prove my bad taste :D
I really like your pictures, I suppose I would saturate them more... Probably I'd use another Creative style (which did you use? Standard?)or play around with the Vibrance slider in ACR. Usually I don't like saturating Jpegs. The results look wierd to me more often than not.

I especially like the first one... It screams out "give me more colour and put me on a postcard".

Cheers Jonathan
Please feel free to visit my gallery:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonathankaell
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Great colours Maks, I really like them all, the flowers around here are fading fast.
Birdy could probably talk his way out!
Maks
Acolyte

Unread post by Maks »

david antony wrote:Great colours Maks, I really like them all, the flowers around here are fading fast.
Birdy could probably talk his way out!
Thanks for comment!
Jonathan K wrote:Hello there,

I believe it is time for me to prove my bad taste :D
I really like your pictures, I suppose I would saturate them more... Probably I'd use another Creative style (which did you use? Standard?)or play around with the Vibrance slider in ACR. Usually I don't like saturating Jpegs. The results look wierd to me more often than not.

I especially like the first one... It screams out "give me more colour and put me on a postcard".

Cheers Jonathan
Thanks for comment amd advice, Jonathan!
I'll try to use Lightroom. By the way, I noticed difference in colors from the same picture, opened in Photoshop and web browser. Here is printscreen:
printscreen
printscreen
differs.JPG (172.88 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
Is there any solution for corect color managment? How to publish images with correct colors on the web?
Jonathan K
Oligarch

Unread post by Jonathan K »

Hello Maks,

I recently posted a thread about this on dpreview... I hope David doesn't mind, but in order to avoid copying all the discussion into a new thread here, it might be more useful to post the link. (If it is a problem, I will erase it of course...)

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=28236767

I posted it about the difference between my iMac 24' and my PC notebook. But the same applies between Photoshop and your windows browser:

In short, Photoshop and Mac Preview is "sensitive" to the color space you use. If you convert in Adobe RGB, your windows browser will render the colours incorrectly, because it just uses sRGB. Photoshop, Preview and other (smarter) programs render the picture in the correct color space.
The easiest thing to do is to set your RAW converter to "sRGB" by default. Adobe RGB is a wider gamut, but generally sRGB gives better results, even with printing...

Cheers Jonathan
Please feel free to visit my gallery:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonathankaell
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

No problem about posting on dPreview from my angle.

sRGB actually gives smoother colour gradations because it is a tighter gamut, same way that dividing a 30cm length into 256 sections produces finer visible divisions than dividing a 35cm length does. You have correctly identified the cause of the colour difference, and converting any images to sRGB before posting is a good idea. Photoshop 'Save for Web' does that automatically and also strips the profile out, to make the file smaller.

David
Maks
Acolyte

Unread post by Maks »

Thanks for useful information!