Share your A7(r) Photos :)

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
CharlieWebster
Oligarch

Re: Share your A7(r) Photos :)

Unread post by CharlieWebster »

Love the test shot David :) Tokina 17 looks very good.

I also have CV 21/4, which i found unusable on R and not to good on A7 but you can see in the samples up there it's pretty good on the M9 and the 25/28/and 35 are fantastic.

However the new CV 21/1.8 is very good on even the R, and of course is fantastic at night.

One nice thing about the R is that it does not loose much in the center at f/16 but edges and corners really start to come in . :)

crony by unoh7, on Flickr

DSC01569-2 by unoh7, on Flickr

above: 28cron and legendary nikkor 5cm f/1.4 which caused LIFE to switch from Leica to NIkon. :)
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I take you are in the USA Charlie without even looking at your profile :-) We just don't get any of these lenses on the market in the UK. There are dozens of affordable superb old lenses on eBay USA and almost zero in the UK, not many in Europe. We also get some real old rubbish sold for stupid prices - anyone who was there AT THE TIME knows that Steinheil, Schacht, Isco, Enna, even Meyer and other German names produced some awful lenses yet you see them here with $400 price tags (they are mostly worth about $50 really).

Still, I remain curious about really retro glass. I have here, now, the Lomography Petzval lens. Richard K put up $300 as a kickstarter project to get one, and he has got a $1000 lens for his confidence. It is solid brass, beautifully made and boxed, and not anything like as soft as we expected. I'll be testing this on A7R soon (not touching it - need gloves and stuff before handling it to do the studio product shots).

I tried holding a TTH 108mm f/1.9 projection lens in front of the A7R. Big air space between lens and camera. Focused by moving it round. Works fine! Very distorted, flaring, soft shots but at the same time an amazingly sharp core image.

Back in the 1970s I experimented for magazine articles using my hand, tinfoil, ashtrays and other things to form images on film by viewing the effects through my SLR. Lensless images formed by light and physical apertures and reflection.

I've got the Skink Pinhole kit as well. I do not recommend it as the result just looks like a soft image but I have not yet tried the multiple pinhole aperture discs.

David
CharlieWebster
Oligarch

David Kilpatrick wrote:I take you are in the USA Charlie without even looking at your profile :-) We just don't get any of these lenses on the market in the UK. There are dozens of affordable superb old lenses on eBay USA and almost zero in the UK, not many in Europe. We also get some real old rubbish sold for stupid prices - anyone who was there AT THE TIME knows that Steinheil, Schacht, Isco, Enna, even Meyer and other German names produced some awful lenses yet you see them here with $400 price tags (they are mostly worth about $50 really).

Still, I remain curious about really retro glass. I have here, now, the Lomography Petzval lens. Richard K put up $300 as a kickstarter project to get one, and he has got a $1000 lens for his confidence. It is solid brass, beautifully made and boxed, and not anything like as soft as we expected. I'll be testing this on A7R soon (not touching it - need gloves and stuff before handling it to do the studio product shots).

I tried holding a TTH 108mm f/1.9 projection lens in front of the A7R. Big air space between lens and camera. Focused by moving it round. Works fine! Very distorted, flaring, soft shots but at the same time an amazingly sharp core image.

Back in the 1970s I experimented for magazine articles using my hand, tinfoil, ashtrays and other things to form images on film by viewing the effects through my SLR. Lensless images formed by light and physical apertures and reflection.

I've got the Skink Pinhole kit as well. I do not recommend it as the result just looks like a soft image but I have not yet tried the multiple pinhole aperture discs.

David
HI David,

Great thoughts :)

One view has been, oh that Old stuff can't keep up with the new sensors. The opposite is true, the early sensors could make the old lenses look weak, but they look fantastic on the A7:

DSC02199-2 by unoh7, on Flickr

DSC02166 by unoh7, on Flickr

These are wide open on the A7r + 5cm 1.4 nikkor pictured above by the M6

This lens will produce a very unique look which varies alot with the background. These are cheap in contax mount, because they made 200,000 but you need helicoid adapter. LTM they are rare and sought after.

no amount of photoshop can create the special signatures of some of the old classics, like Canon LTM 50/1.2, Zeiss 50/1.5 etc.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Those portraits are great, Charlie! I don't find the circular highlights too distracting in the background, even if they are a bit sharp, however on the second shot that one on his cheek has to go!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I found some good light while enroute down Redesdale (Northumberland - A68 road valley) and grabbed a few landscapes and some shots of a church. Puzzled and confused by total AF failure on one landscape which was definitely carefully confirmed as focused - but shot extremely out of focus on the 28-70mm. Not confused now about my failure with the 20mm Canon FDn lens; I had the aperture lock ring accidentally moved to full aperture or close to it, so all my shots intended to be at f/11 or f/16 ended up either wide open, or maybe around f/3.5. The lens has some 'glow' wide open from bright highlights and this plus the shutter speed made it clear what had happened.

However - despite being at such a wide aperture the pictures have enough depth of field and sharpness for a reduced size file.

Redesdale Church with 20mm -
redesdalechurch20mm-1.jpg
redesdalechurch20mm-1.jpg (291.47 KiB) Viewed 4803 times
Redesdale morning light - the 28-70mm at 70mm is focused in this shot on the distant hillside,at f/6.3. This just isn't enough d-o-f for 36 megapixels and the trees are quite badly rendered (the lens looks worse when slightly out of focus). The A7R is every bit as difficult to use as a medium format back, maybe more so.
redesdalemorning.jpg
redesdalemorning.jpg (89.82 KiB) Viewed 4803 times
I'm now inclined to think that magnified manual focus is by far the best way of working on the A7R and that it's worth going through many used lenses to find the best options.

David
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Kalainen »

David Kilpatrick wrote: Redesdale morning light - the 28-70mm at 70mm is focused in this shot on the distant hillside,at f/6.3. This just isn't enough d-o-f for 36 megapixels and the trees are quite badly rendered (the lens looks worse when slightly out of focus). The A7R is every bit as difficult to use as a medium format back, maybe more so.
redesdalemorning.jpg
I like this shot very much, scenery has amazing light over it. :)

-Toni

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Year of the Alpha - 365 Days of Sony Alpha Photography: http://www.yearofthealpha.com
Flickr-account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/109262328@N06/
Darinm
Acolyte

Unread post by Darinm »

For any landscape type work I think it's best to use the rear LCD magnified because if the diopter is just a little off for the EVF the focus ends up just a little bit off too. Something to think about for those of us with less than 20-20 vision. Even with moving objects I'm finding more perfectly in focus shots yet more completely missed focus shots too than with the A99 or D600 where things were often almost in perfect focus.

A well performing but awkwardly sized combo, A7 & Samyang 35mm f/1.4
_DSC7757.jpg
_DSC7757.jpg (266.15 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
A7 with the Nikkor-H 28mm f/3.5
_DSC7857.jpg
_DSC7857.jpg (214.64 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
Darin McQuoid

A7 & A6000. Samyang 12mm f/2, Minolta 17-35mm 2.8-4, Sony 16-70mm f/4, Minolta 28mm f/2.8, Canon FD 35mm f/2, Sony 55mm f/1.8, Sony 55-210mm OSS, Sony 135mm f/1.8, Tokina 500mm f/8
http://darinmcquoid.com
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Love DKs misty landscape and the dog portrait :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Great shot of the dog. I never could get any of my dogs or cats to pose nicely. They either mauled me out of love or ran to the food dish.
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

Darinm wrote:For any landscape type work I think it's best to use the rear LCD magnified because if the diopter is just a little off for the EVF the focus ends up just a little bit off too. Something to think about for those of us with less than 20-20 vision. Even with moving objects I'm finding more perfectly in focus shots yet more completely missed focus shots too than with the A99 or D600 where things were often almost in perfect focus.

A well performing but awkwardly sized combo, A7 & Samyang 35mm f/1.4
_DSC7757.jpg
A7 with the Nikkor-H 28mm f/3.5
_DSC7857.jpg
Both excellent shots! :)
Darinm
Acolyte

Unread post by Darinm »

Thanks, we're lucky enough to have a dog that will pause from time to time despite his high energy. More often he is just good practice for trying to track focus :)

A7 + Nikkor-P 105mm 2.5
12-2013 0911.jpg
12-2013 0911.jpg (257.32 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
Panoramic with the A7 and Rokkor PF 135mm 2.8
Shasta.jpg
Shasta.jpg (284.04 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
Normally the 4,000 meter peak is covered in snow but we're having our lowest precipitation year on record in California.
Darin McQuoid

A7 & A6000. Samyang 12mm f/2, Minolta 17-35mm 2.8-4, Sony 16-70mm f/4, Minolta 28mm f/2.8, Canon FD 35mm f/2, Sony 55mm f/1.8, Sony 55-210mm OSS, Sony 135mm f/1.8, Tokina 500mm f/8
http://darinmcquoid.com
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Lovely shots Darin :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Rhtubbs
Initiate

Unread post by Rhtubbs »

+1 :)
Ron

a200, a550, A7r, Sony, Sigma, Tamron, Minolta lenses
CharlieWebster
Oligarch

DSC05815-3 by unoh7, on Flickr
Kiron 28/2

DSC05740-2 by unoh7, on Flickr
OM 135/2.8

Both on A7
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

Darinm wrote:Thanks, we're lucky enough to have a dog that will pause from time to time despite his high energy. More often he is just good practice for trying to track focus :)

A7 + Nikkor-P 105mm 2.5
12-2013 0911.jpg
Panoramic with the A7 and Rokkor PF 135mm 2.8
Shasta.jpg
Normally the 4,000 meter peak is covered in snow but we're having our lowest precipitation year on record in California.
Very nice shots, as usual. :)

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Year of the Alpha - 365 Days of Sony Alpha Photography: http://www.yearofthealpha.com
Flickr-account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/109262328@N06/