Weather Today-In Your Vicinity 2014

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Weather Today-In Your Vicinity 2014

Unread post by Birma »

Interesting night shot - parts of it looks like day time - and I like the streaked clouds.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

There was a lot of moonlight and I'm sure the snow really helped reflect more light onto the house, the tree, etc. I was surprised myself at how much it looks like day time. What else is amazing is that no cars drove by during the exposure. :)
Rhtubbs
Initiate

Unread post by Rhtubbs »

the_hefay wrote:There was a lot of moonlight and I'm sure the snow really helped reflect more light onto the house, the tree, etc. I was surprised myself at how much it looks like day time. What else is amazing is that no cars drove by during the exposure. :)
Wow. Are those stars? I just looked closely. Are you facing due north? There seems to be a center of rotation in the frame.

That is a cool shot.
Ron

a200, a550, A7r, Sony, Sigma, Tamron, Minolta lenses
the_hefay
Viceroy

Thanks, yes those are stars and yes I'm facing pretty much due north. The North Star is just out of the frame and above the tree.
jfmcd
Acolyte

Unread post by jfmcd »

The temperature here in Toronto this morning is -23C with a windchill of -31C. This is what it looks like through my living room window, courtesy of the Polar Vortex.
Attachments
_DSC2074.jpg
_DSC2074.jpg (80.31 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
_DSC2070.jpg
_DSC2070.jpg (71.52 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

And I just bought a couple of hamamelis, one in flower and the other in bud, and a pretty good sized magnolia - with lots of buds - to plant out in Scotland... hoping that the mild weather will continue and allow the magnolia to flower rather than nip the buds off with frost!

David
Rhtubbs
Initiate

Unread post by Rhtubbs »

jfmcd wrote:The temperature here in Toronto this morning is -23C with a windchill of -31C. This is what it looks like through my living room window, courtesy of the Polar Vortex.
The patterns of the ice are so beautiful! I guess the extreme temperature might be the reason. Nice pictures!
Ron

a200, a550, A7r, Sony, Sigma, Tamron, Minolta lenses
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Amazing winter weather shots!

Jfmcd, those are some very rare beauties on the window glass. : ) Extraordinary patterns and ice accumulations.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
the_hefay
Viceroy

Last night we had clear skies. I even got a shot of the Orion Nebula and also Jupiter and three of its moons. I actually had no idea that I could even see them with only 300mm on my camera. Today, the temperatures dropped and the wind started blowing. Currently 18f (-8c) and dropping.

The nebula and Jupiter pics are both crops. The Jupiter is a 100% crop.
Attachments
_DSC7090 cropped sharpened 1024.jpg
orion nebula
(288.86 KiB) Downloaded 1901 times
_DSC7099 cropped depurpled copy.jpg
Jupiter
(26.37 KiB) Downloaded 1901 times
_DSC7116 BW 1024 pana.jpg
winter chill
(198.91 KiB) Downloaded 1901 times
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Wow! Love the Jupiter shots. I'm equally amazed that you can get that with a 300mm. :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
the_hefay
Viceroy

It was definitely a pleasant surprise. :) Now I really need a steadier/sturdier tripod if I'm going to delve any further into shooting astronomical objects.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Today in St. Louis we've already reached our high of 13F/-11C. Not as bad as Toronto!

These Canadian Clippers that keep sweeping down from the north makes me think that we either need to sue Canada for sending them our way, our build a wall on the border. :lol:

The wind last night blew the tarps off the chicken coop, and this morning blew the drop light I had in the for a little heat onto the ground, causing some leave to smolder. My wife noticed it when going out to feed them and threw their water on it to get it out. I think it's so wet there it never would have really caught fire, but I'll be looking for a better solution now. Or maybe we'll just have roast chicken.... :P

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
the_hefay
Viceroy

January BBQ!

Dusty, are you getting eggs with the cold weather? When we had chickens our hens pretty much quit laying in the winter. I think heat and light were the main issues. We were lucky to have 1 egg a week in January.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Hefay, We were only getting 2, those from our newest chickens, until I put the light in their house. One by one the others started back to laying, and we now get 5 almost every day, but never less than 4. I think a few are just getting back to that 'daily rhythm'.

Amazingly, the cold doesn't seem to bother them. This morning, even tho' it was a lowly 4F-15C, they wanted out of the coop and were sitting under the cedar tree when I left for work.

BTW, we've already up to 10F/-12C, with a high of 17F-8C today. Fairly warm compared to Milwaukee's -35F!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Ken M
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ken M »

Great Frost
jfmcd
A65 16mm-50mm 2.8
Tamron 72E 90mm 2.8 Macro
Sony 35mm 1.8 Sony
Sony 55-300mm and 55-200mm

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.