Weather Today-In Your Vicinity 2014

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Weather Today-In Your Vicinity 2014

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I’ve been watching the wild weather and the constant rain in the UK on the news, it seems to go on and on and the drainage system seems to be overwhelmed with flooding, not nice at all.
The USA is getting frozen much worse this winter than usual in most places, even if you are used to it if it goes on for too long it can be dangerous with power outages and icy roads.
Istanbul is getting fogged over for lengthy periods, that sounds gloomy and dangerous for airlines and probably the shipping through the Bosphorus, I hope you get some sunlight soon Yildiz.
We are having an unusually cool summer in my location with only a few weeks of rain in our northern ‘wet season’ so far, while further south they are having much higher temperatures and also bushfires with homes lost. Even the cyclones have been few and far between, only one near miss so far this year but there could be another brewing out in the Coral Sea at the moment.
Greg
The weather here is nice at the moment: Slight sea breeze, scattered cloud, 29⁰C possible shower later.
I went up the high trestle beside the house at dusk to take a pic of a scattered cloud in case you wanted to see what a scattered cloud looks like.
A100 KM28-75
DSC04301.jpg
DSC04301.jpg (238.31 KiB) Viewed 6729 times
Last edited by Greg Beetham on Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

A view of summer scattered cloud is much appreciated, Greg :)

I guess your KM 28-75 is the ancestor of my SAL 28-75? Really like this lens on the A99.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Yeah I guess that could be so Birma, I suppose I could delude myself that there is some tiny difference between the KM and Tamron versions, they are both screw drive from that period, maybe the KM version had Propriety KM coatings? I don't know on that. I don't know much about the Sony version, it's an ssm type I think? I suppose the element formula is similar maybe? but in any case the lens I have is quite good I think, I hardly ever use it possibly because it's quite a heavy lens even compared to the 100-300apod, I should really pay it more attention.
Greg
Ps You miss summer cloud? it looks like there is some nice sunshine sometimes where you are, maybe it's not as often as it appears then?
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Greg, it's the 29 degrees summer cloud that would be nice :) . You're right, we are getting some sunny spells, we just have to grab them when we can.

The Sony 28-75 is SAM I think. I rarely use the AF on it though :)
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Here in St. Louis it was another frozen weekend of sleet and snow. It will, however, start to thaw out by Wed, with no more frozen precip. in the forecast until next fall!

Of course, the thaw brings on the floods, and the mud mess. 2 weeks ago I was up at my Dad's, trying to get the place in order to sell. Walked downstairs to a flooded basement. There had been a brief thaw, then a re-freeze, and the outlet to the sump pump froze over. We quickly put in our emergency bypass - pumping it into the septic tank - and got it dry again. Good thing Pop put in an oversized septic system! Hopefully when the big thaw comes we will have the outlet pipe thaw before the groundwater gets too much to handle. We can always put in the our second bypass, and run it out the window and into the field, but that creates quite the mud pond!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Glad to hear you're warming up Dusty :) . Good luck with clearing up.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Geez Dusty I can imagine (I think) what a basement with freezing water in it would be like to deal with when it’s icy outside too. :shock: It almost sounds like you need one of those automatic bilge pumps they have in boats, but it wouldn’t stop the outlet from freezing over and blocking up, hmm that would have to have a thermostatically controlled heating unit as well, all in all it would probably be just more things to stuff up exactly when you need them the most.
Ah well better times ahead by the sounds of it after the thaw dries up a bit, maybe a month or so, we’ll have winter upon us here by then too, not that our winter is much by comparison.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Today at Red Rock Canyon in the Mojave Desert, Nevada

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Dry and arid looking, with very prickly flora; it has a definite desert feel Henry. :)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Dry and arid looking, with very prickly flora; it has a definite desert feel Henry. :)
Since it isn't summer the temperatures are wonderful now though. Generally about 20-24C during the day.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I had a bit of a look on Wiki about Red Rock Canyon. It sure is attractive and really interesting geology wise but it’s also a pretty wild place for extremes sometimes, it has been as cold as minus 18⁰C and as high as 46⁰C, boy you sure wouldn’t want to be caught out in the open there for long during those times.
I might be getting paranoid though, I’ve been watching too many ‘I shouldn’t be alive’ shows I think. (most of them are correct though, they shouldn’t)
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

The cyclone that was headed straight for us turned around at the last minute and went back out where it came from.
In the meantime a chook walked in through the bars of the gate, followed me around and scratched in the garden for a while and then set up camp on my bike under the house (I have no idea whose chook it is) :roll:
Greg
Townsville weather: cloudy, very little wind, 27.4⁰C
KM5D KM18-200
PICT2536.jpg
PICT2536.jpg (175.02 KiB) Viewed 6636 times
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Glad the storm passed you by Greg - phew! :)

I think you can claim any eggs laid when it is your bike 8)
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks Birma, it sure was odd for a cyclone to turn around and go away, I'm not sure about the chook at the moment it tends to scratch the mulch around the plants and make a mess over the lawn. :x
Greg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi, Greg.

Good to hear that the cyclone had a change of mind and went away where it won't harm anyone.

As for the chook, I think you'll have to wait to hear from the neighbours about a confused, missing chook. : ) She does look very at home from the photo, though does appear a bit short-sighted about manners when visiting a neighbour. Sorry to hear about the mess it caused.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz