Turkey trip photos

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Almazar80
Grand Caliph

Re: Turkey trip photos

Unread post by Almazar80 »

The interior shots are very well done.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:You mean the following photo, right? I was walking alone on the outskirts of Selcuk about dusk with the countryside just behind her. There were no people at all around and she approached me speaking Turkish. I wasn't quite sure what she was saying or wanted, but I was beginning to think she was a rather rough prostitute. Finally, it seemed like she was just asking me for money, but even that I am not sure about. I tried to be friendly to her, but communication was difficult. She allowed me to take this photo of her.
I forgot to mention that her shirt says SHOW YOUR LOVE. As I said, it sort of seemed like from her demeanor that she might have been a prostitute although later I sort of figured she wasn't...or at least not that day. She may have wanted some love though. Hard to figure out. A bit strange. Anyway, I am old enough that I don't whip my love out and show it as easily as when I was younger so her shirt's message was ignored by me. Don't you know, discretion is the better part of valour. :lol:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Superb, Henry, as always. I have only got throughout the first set but loving the, already. Your usual fantastic engagement with people; so many smiling faces, and then quieter caught shots where people don't look like they know they're being photographed.
Thanks, Andy.
Birma wrote: Lovely scenery as well with the added interest of the back streets as well as the tourist areas. I think my favourites so far are the small plant/weed caught in the pavement crack with the sun and rain on it, and I love the fishermen on the bridge.
I meant to reply to you earlier, but I had to go back and try to find the photo of the plant in the pavement that you are referring to. I can't. Which one do you mean?
Birma wrote: A lot more wide angles from you I thought? Both 9mm and 9mm fisheye must be working for you.
Hmm, I am not sure if I shot wide angle more than earlier trips (Nepal, Bali, etc.) with the same gear. Certainly I didn't have the tiny 9mm body cap fisheye for those trips though and I did play around with it a fair amount in Turkey. I didn't keep it in my daypack or camera bag. It is so small and light that I put it in a small plastic bag and kept it in my pocket so I could get at it fast and easy.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Henry, it is #327 in the first gallery, "Rain at the ruins of the Basilica of St. John, Selcuk". Perhaps it was my description that was confusing :) .

Being able to pocket lenses is certainly a bonus when travelling!
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Hmmm I’m waiting for the news report one day about the American photographer who was trampled by the brothers of the nice Romanian girl…seeing as how the news report about the American photographer who was trampled by the rogue elephant in Botswana didn’t happen. :lol: (just kidding, but you do take risks Henry, I guess it’s more exciting that way)
Yes that’s the the correct picture, btw it would have been great to have an interpreter along at the time, but sheesh where oh where would one discover one of those in a far off land where you don’t know anyone and don’t speak the language….oh wait I think there was someone we knew in that area who can speak English very well…let me think…it’ll come to me…no prompting now…
(just kidding Yildiz)
Yep the shirt top is kinda streety but she has hands more like a farm worker so it’s hard to guess what the deal is there.

They sure have lots of commercial activity in the street in that section of Istanbul in Turkey 4, lots of manikins of all shapes and sizes on display and on the move, parcels being wrapped and packed, curbside eating and drinking, speaking of which is that tea? It sorta looks more like coffee in some of the shots and definitely tea-ish in others.
I was fascinated by the Roman and Greek ruins as well as the dwellings carved out of giant rocks, how did they chisel such large volumes of rock in 300 AD when they didn’t have hardened steel yet, only bronze? (just a rhetorical question mainly)
And those white cascaded terraces and the scenery seen from the balloon ride generally, was amazing.
Greg
Last edited by Greg Beetham on Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Almazar80 wrote:The interior shots are very well done.
Thanks!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Hi Henry, it is #327 in the first gallery, "Rain at the ruins of the Basilica of St. John, Selcuk". Perhaps it was my description that was confusing :) .
Ahh, this photo:

Of course, I have other photos of the ruins of Basilica of St. John, but I didn't put them on my website. Have to pick and choose since I have so many photos. :lol: Supposedly, St. John is buried there and there is a tomb that is supposed to be his in the ruins. Here is some info:

http://www.ephesus.us/ephesus/stjohn.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_St._John
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:Hmmm I’m waiting for the news report one day about the American photographer who was trampled by the brothers of the nice Romanian girl…seeing as how the news report about the American photographer who was trampled by the rogue elephant in Botswana didn’t happen. :lol: (just kidding, but you do take risks Henry, I guess it’s more exciting that way)
Seriously, not taking any risks. I just wander, amble, stroll all around to see what might be interesting. I generally get a feel for when or where it may not be good to go somewhere and I don't. That is very rare though.
Greg Beetham wrote: Yep the shirt top is kinda streety but she has hands more like a farm worker so it’s hard to guess what the deal is there.
Well, many financial advisers say that it is good to have multiple streams of income. More financial stability and security that way. :lol:
Greg Beetham wrote: They sure have lots of commercial activity in the street in that section of Istanbul in Turkey 4, lots of manikins of all shapes and sizes on display and on the move, parcels being wrapped and packed, curbside eating and drinking, speaking of which is that tea? It sorta looks more like coffee in some of the shots and definitely tea-ish in others.
It seems that I always saw people drinking tea in clear glasses. Coffee was in cups.
Greg Beetham wrote: I was fascinated by the Roman and Greek ruins as well as the dwellings carved out of giant rocks, how did they chisel such large volumes of rock in 300 AD when they didn’t have hardened steel yet, only bronze? (just a rhetorical question mainly)
I think that rock is relatively soft. Here is some info about Cappadocia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappadocia
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

I found the small flower growing in a crack on an ancient piece of bricks of the Basilica which resists the rain drops very refresing too. :) Somehow that photo stands out. Interesting that others in the forum also found it special.

Greg, I think Henry is a natural with people and different world cultures, so that he can almost sense where the action or the intriguing is. He also had a good road plan, it seems, and was well-coordinated, although free-spirited. : )
I realize that I could of made a good interpreter for Henry.:D Maybe some other time if he should decide to pay an other visit t Turkey. He appears to be a fast traveller, fast in his stride too, hence the so many street shots.

The rock formation in Cappadocia is pretty easy to shape by hand; you don't need hard tools. You can even carve some with your finger nails though not recommended. Tufa and volcanic ash mixture can be eroded by running rain water hence the chimney shapes. The caps on top of some of the chimneys are basalt rock. It must have been the easiest and fastest way of creating a home that both secures people as well as preserving their food. The food items and wine stored in these rock formations are always cool and last for longer periods of time; In summer it's cool inside while at optimum temperatures during winter. It's also fun to stay in one these dwellings. :)

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Hmm it looks like I’m out of touch with the advent of the iron age now, I’m sure I remember reading maybe thirty of forty years ago that iron only came into widespread use maybe about a thousand years ago and hard steel sometime after that but they have obviously done a lot more research since then and found that iron and steel had much earlier origins, some scholars say it might even have originated in Anatolia, they found a dagger with an iron blade there dated at about 4500 years ago. (from there I got involved in lots of branches of history about the place and associated places and branches associated with those and so on until it got bigger than Ben Hur and I started to lose the plot of who did what when)
In any case as it turns out from reading about the Cappadocia rock in the link Henry provided (and the description from Yildiz) you wouldn’t need hard steel tools too chisel it anyway. When someone mentions rock I tend to start with rock that rings when you smack it with a hammer.
And yes I do get the impression that Henry would be on the move pretty much constantly; by contrast I on the other hand would be in danger of loitering around on the bridge where they were fishing and wasting too much time. :mrgreen:
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:In any case as it turns out from reading about the Cappadocia rock in the link Henry provided (and the description from Yildiz) you wouldn’t need hard steel tools too chisel it anyway. When someone mentions rock I tend to start with rock that rings when you smack it with a hammer.
Here is some more good info about Cappadocia:

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/tr ... appadocia/

http://dornob.com/underground-cities-35 ... z34B7K9lm1

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/357

Greg Beetham wrote: And yes I do get the impression that Henry would be on the move pretty much constantly; by contrast I on the other hand would be in danger of loitering around on the bridge where they were fishing and wasting too much time. :mrgreen:
I saw a few places near the bridge that had small amounts of used fishing gear sitting out. I think it was either for sale or for rent. I don't know if you need a fishing license there, but if not then you could have spent the day there fishing with the locals and drinking tea. :lol: Note that it is possible that some of the many fisherman up there are very territorial about their spots. I don't know that, but I am guessing. Some appear to be up there everyday and I bet they have their favorite spots staked out that everyone else knows about. Don't want to run afoul of one of them and find yourself going head first over the bridge. :lol:

Greg, this boy is welcoming you to visit Turkey. :)

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bakubo wrote:Well, many financial advisers say that it is good to have multiple streams of income. More financial stability and security that way. :lol:
Coincidentally there is this news from today that shows having multiple income streams is advantageous. :lol:

Venezuelan Prostitutes Earn More Selling Dollars Than Sex

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-0 ... n-sex.html

Prostitutes more than double their earnings by moonlighting as currency traders in Puerto Cabello.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Venezuela's economy seems to be in rough shape, from reading those articles Henry, they get quite a lot from the oil so I don't know where the money goes too. Yeah there is much to be said for diversifying for sure, the government is trying to stop them from doing it too, and not the prostitution either.
Greg

Ps yes Henry the kids there seem to be happy and well mannered, which is refreshing, it seems to be an earlier era without playstations and junk food, they actually go out and play and walk to school and back…really strange, maybe western cultures should investigate how to do the same thing.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Greg, this boy is welcoming you to visit Turkey. :)

Using Yildiz as a data point, I would say that invitation is not just for Greg, Henry. :)
Even it is I will pretend it is extended to me too. :D

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:Ps yes Henry the kids there seem to be happy and well mannered, which is refreshing, it seems to be an earlier era without playstations and junk food, they actually go out and play and walk to school and back…really strange, maybe western cultures should investigate how to do the same thing.
I noticed lots of smartphones in Turkey also. Pretty much the same everywhere, I guess. In a big city such as Istanbul you naturally are around lots of people. People are outside walking around, working, and so on and not just enclosed in a car driving through the suburbs. Japan is also great like that. I found my travel in Turkey to be pleasant with nice people and nothing sticks out in mind as a bad experience with anyone. So different than places such as Egypt and Vietnam. Turkey was great!