Turkey trip photos

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Turkey trip photos

Unread post by bakubo »

aster wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:38 am :D Hi again, Henry.

Yes, as it happens, we are in Istanbul, which is pretty distant from the region. The fault line the earthquake happened on is a historically known one that is active to create a forceful quake almost every 100 years. It's in the books. The 'Anatolian plate' which is Turkey, was squeezed by the tectonic move of the 'Arabian Plate' from the East against the 'Eurasian Plate' in the North, hence the resulting quake on a very long line. (a magnitude 7.8 and later a mag. 7.5 followed along with many disturbing aftershocks).

Mostly the buildings that did not meet the constructional standards were devastated. Next time, builders/contractors should make better buildings/structures that meet the earthquake zone regulations and requirements. The truth of the zone demands that.

As you know, Japan encountered many 7-8 magnitude earthquakes over the years but since they build with conscious deliberation to meet the region's tectonic reality, the survival rate is high and there's hardly any devastation or damage in the buildings, just a few moments of shaking and settling. I hope the new constructions will be of Japan's quality...

I missed your Turkey photos! :) How candid they are and how the kids/students responded to you. I should check out your new galleries at Bakubo.com. :) You surely must have been travelling to many other locations by now.

My best regards and respect to all of you! :)
Yildiz
I am glad that you and your family are okay. It is such a horrible catastrophe for Turkey and Syria.

Here are a few more faces from my trip to Turkey in 2014. I hope to visit there again someday.

OLY06115.jpg
OLY06115.jpg (172.01 KiB) Viewed 57985 times
OLY03445.jpg
OLY03445.jpg (150.08 KiB) Viewed 57985 times
OLY03630.jpg
OLY03630.jpg (151.71 KiB) Viewed 57985 times
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

A few more people in Turkey when I was there in 2014.

OLY04355.jpg
OLY04355.jpg (170.37 KiB) Viewed 57942 times
OLY03784.jpg
OLY03784.jpg (229.16 KiB) Viewed 57942 times
OLY03998.jpg
OLY03998.jpg (230.12 KiB) Viewed 57942 times
OLY04042.jpg
OLY04042.jpg (149.94 KiB) Viewed 57942 times
Fotogeorge
Heirophant

Unread post by Fotogeorge »

I like your wonderful portraits captured in Turkey. I study my DNA and trace it's history. I always wonder the source for certain genes. I like seeing all the faces, the phenotype. The people in modern Turkey are a blend of many people. The invading Turks were a small percentages of the Slavs, Romans, and Hellenic people living then in the Balkans. There were even other people from central Asia and Persia that invaded the Balkans. Even the families of the former Sultans were a blend of the various people in the Balkans. I see all the faces of the Caucasian peoples living in Turkey that remind me of my family members. "Turk" is even one of my family surnames. I trace my DNA to the Varangians, Rurikids, Rus Vikings, Kievan Rus. and Khazars, Just call me "Old Rus." That is only half of it. A Chinese General from the 8th century Tang dynasty shares my M-DNA. My grandfather, great grandfather and family were still living Cossack lives in the early 20th century riding horses on the Steppes. We had family in the Balkans, Lwow, and Carpathian Poland. I saw similar portraits of Uighur women posted on the internet. Talk about diversity going back to the 8th century. Descendants of people from the An Lushan rebellion still live in China. The people and their DNA are part of history. Photogs need to take more portraits and document. People search for DNA in grave yards. Someone should to do that with living people. Pictures tell a story.
KM7D, Sony A350, A580, A-700, A57, A65, A5100 , a6500 , & a7iii, plus a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Fotogeorge wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:03 am I like your wonderful portraits captured in Turkey. I study my DNA and trace it's history.
Turkey was such a wonderful country to travel in. I hope to go back there someday.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

One more thing that is changing is that Amazon announced that dpreview.com is shutting down on April 10, 2023. When it was announced last month it said all the content and forums would go offline. A few days ago there was an update that is not detailed or very clear, but it sounds like at least for a while the content will stay up, but no new posts or content will be added:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/050790261 ... -an-update

It would be a terrible shame for all the content (much of it created by me over the last 23+) years to disappear. Sad to see dpreview "fade away like the smoke from that torpedo" and all our user content, reviews, etc. are gone forever.

Old Hippie (1985) - Bellamy Brothers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gz-kj8NXCA