Turkey trip photos

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Turkey trip photos

Unread post by bakubo »

I mentioned in this thread that I used the tiny Olympus 9mm fisheye bodycap lens for some of my Turkey photos. It turns out that there is a very simple way to defish it without resorting to software such as Hugin. Someone discovered that in LR the Sigma 10mm f2.8 fisheye profile works very well to defish the Olympus 9mm fisheye. I have checked and it does work well. The result is a defished photo that is significantly wider than my 9-18mm f4-5.6 at 9mm. I doubt if I would ever defish though since I bought the lens specifically for the fisheye distortion.
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Great series Henry. I especially enjoyed the 9fish-9rect. comparison. On a trip to New Orleans a few years ago, I was without my Sigma 10-20 but had the Rokinon 8mm Fisheye. I do love the cool distortion of the fisheye, but there were times I really missed the 10-20. I learned a bit having been forced to use only the fisheye for ultra wide angle shots. It comes with me on every trip now...
All of those interior shots are stunning...

John
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Thanks for sharing about your trip. Looks like it was great time. I really like the shots of the kids.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Juanito200 wrote:Great series Henry. I especially enjoyed the 9fish-9rect. comparison. On a trip to New Orleans a few years ago, I was without my Sigma 10-20 but had the Rokinon 8mm Fisheye. I do love the cool distortion of the fisheye, but there were times I really missed the 10-20. I learned a bit having been forced to use only the fisheye for ultra wide angle shots. It comes with me on every trip now...
All of those interior shots are stunning...
Just for fun, here are 3 photos to take a look at. The second one has been defished using the Sigma 10mm f2.8 fisheye profile in LR. Notice that it is quite a bit wider than the 9-18mm at 9mm.

Olympus 9-18mm at 9mm:

Olympus 9mm fisheye defished:

Olympus 9mm fisheye:

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

the_hefay wrote:Thanks for sharing about your trip. Looks like it was great time. I really like the shots of the kids.
Thanks for looking.

I saw this today. I wonder if Yildiz is laughing too? :lol:

Turkish women in laughing protest

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/photos ... sCatID=339
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bakubo wrote:
the_hefay wrote:Thanks for sharing about your trip. Looks like it was great time. I really like the shots of the kids.
Thanks for looking.

I saw this today. I wonder if Yildiz is laughing too? :lol:

Turkish women in laughing protest

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/photos ... sCatID=339

Yes, Yildiz is definitely laughing too, Henry. :D How else could I possibly be reacting?! Go ladies, go! :D

Thanks for bringing back such good photo-assembly memories of your recent trip to Turkey as well. The fish-eye correction looks decent to my eyes, especially with the extra wide angle appeal. : )

(Must check the forum later for some comments for some of the wonderful shots the members presented. Most wonderful landscape and personal shots have been submitted... : ) )

Thanks for sharing, Henry.

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

The 9 mm de-fished looks great, Henry.

Keep laughing Yildiz, we're laughing with you :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

aster wrote:Yes, Yildiz is definitely laughing too, Henry. :D How else could I possibly be reacting?! Go ladies, go! :D
Laughing is good for the soul so keep going! :lol:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

This is a pretty good comparison someone did of the 9mm fisheye vs. the 9-18mm (4/3 version, not m4/3 version) at 9mm:

http://m43photo.blogspot.no/2014/07/oly ... inear.html

Since there is so much in this thread about the 9mm fisheye I thought I would post this here to keep it all together.
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Kalainen »

Henry, Only as late of now I noticed your personal webpage and found loads of great images with ethnographic touch. Really, you have had such a great trips to places most of the people will never see. I'm also excited of all this because I have a background with social-anthropology and am therefore interested about cultures by nature. How on earth have you had such possibility to travel so much? Maybe it's a some sort of life-choice, or maybe work related? I truly envy you.. :D

-Toni

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Year of the Alpha - 52 Weeks of Sony Alpha Photography: http://www.yearofthealpha.com
Flickr-account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/109262328@N06/
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Kalainen wrote:Henry, Only as late of now I noticed your personal webpage and found loads of great images with ethnographic touch. Really, you have had such a great trips to places most of the people will never see. I'm also excited of all this because I have a background with social-anthropology and am therefore interested about cultures by nature. How on earth have you had such possibility to travel so much? Maybe it's a some sort of life-choice, or maybe work related? I truly envy you.. :D
Toni, thanks for taking a look. Yes, it is just, as you say, a life choice. Ever since I was a little kid I have been interested in the world and all the cultures spread over it. I wrote a bit about it here:

http://www.bakubo.com/ramblings.html

By the way, I just clicked on your photo link. You have some very nice photos there!
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Kalainen »

bakubo wrote: Toni, thanks for taking a look. Yes, it is just, as you say, a life choice. Ever since I was a little kid I have been interested in the world and all the cultures spread over it. I wrote a bit about it here:

http://www.bakubo.com/ramblings.html
Sorry for the late reply, I saw this earlier but only now got the chance to read it with concentration. I liked your 'ramblings', very personal text with many good points (which I agree). I also love to travel and have done many small and bigger trips. Like you I too love Japan and one of my best trips was going from Finland to Japan by train (and boat of course). Nowadays, with 2-year old girl and other stuff, I don't have same possibilities, but I hope to get back on trail again sooner or later. Thanks for sharing your ramblings (thoughts really), I enjoyed it a lot.
bakubo wrote:By the way, I just clicked on your photo link. You have some very nice photos there!
Thanks for the kind words! :)

-Toni

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Year of the Alpha - 52 Weeks of Sony Alpha Photography: http://www.yearofthealpha.com
Flickr-account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/109262328@N06/
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Kalainen wrote: Sorry for the late reply, I saw this earlier but only now got the chance to read it with concentration. I liked your 'ramblings', very personal text with many good points (which I agree). I also love to travel and have done many small and bigger trips. Like you I too love Japan and one of my best trips was going from Finland to Japan by train (and boat of course). Nowadays, with 2-year old girl and other stuff, I don't have same possibilities, but I hope to get back on trail again sooner or later. Thanks for sharing your ramblings (thoughts really), I enjoyed it a lot.
Yeah, Japan is a great place with great people. Since 1985 I have been here so many times and lived here several times. I guess in total 6+ years at this point.

I have an Australian friend who just started a several months caravan trip around Australia with his wife and 2-year old daughter. :) Sounds like a lot of fun. I saw a photo he posted a couple of days ago of his truck + camping trailer set up at a campsite. I met him when he was still single in Ecuador several years ago and he is only 34 now so a young guy. In Ecuador he didn't even have a camera with him, but now he has been posting some gorgeous well done landscape and oceanscape photos of sunrises and sunsets. I don't know if he is taking them or his wife. He just never struck me as the photographer type so I bet it is his wife. Never met her though. This sort of travel with small children is maybe not so difficult.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Female suicide bomber hits police station in Istanbul's historic heart

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/bomb-attack-p ... 22558.html

A female suicide bomber blew herself up at a police station in Istanbul's historic Sultanahmet district on Tuesday, killing one officer and wounding another.

Police sealed off the street where Tuesday's attack happened, across the square from the Aya Sofya museum and the Blue Mosque and near the Basilica Cistern, which are among the main sites for millions of visitors to Istanbul each year.

I just read this news. I spent lots of time in this area when I was in Istanbul a few months ago.
Pitter
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Pitter »

That is an absolutely outstanding collection of travel photos. All are perfectly exposed and all beautifully composed. Thanks for sharing them here.
Sony a6000 with 1.8 24 mm