Avon Walk

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Avon Walk

Unread post by sury »

My wife and her cousin decided to do Avon Walk for Breast Cancer Research fund raising.
It was a 2 day walk, with first day walk of 26.2 miles (marathon) and the second
day being 13.1 miles. It was amazing how many people have volunteered and some
don't even have any family members suffered or suffering through the dreaded disease.
May be these may belong to off the topic forum since this is not about images per se,
but people gave it a best shot, didn't they?

Between them, they raised about $5000 (they needed to raise a minimum of $1800 to participate
in the walk). So they decided to "share" their contributions with others who were falling short so they
can also join the walk. A nice gesture indeed.

Half way point - lunch break. My neighbors and my daughter. Cheering team.

Volunteer cheerleaders and organizers.

My wife is behind her cousin (wearing grey tops). Smiling after 13 miles of walk through San Francisco and across
Golden Gate Bridge.

Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Juanito200
Viceroy

Re: Avon Walk

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Congrats to your wife and her cousin for completing the walk, and raising so much money for the cause. I like your 'best shot' play on words BTW.. :D :lol:
Their shirts are great too...

John
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
caporip
Grand Caliph

Unread post by caporip »

Well done to them both.
Some days you eat the bear, other days the bear eats you....
My Flickr site:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/rb56/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sury

Unread post by sury »

Thank you John and Richard. Here are some more....

This is our friends cheering at 20.2 mile point. The lady in the photo lost to cancer, a dear, dear friend of us.
Her husband, a childhood friend of mine, was kind enough to lend us the photo but was too painful for him to
join us.

At the finish line after the end of first day, 26.2 mile walk.

Now you have to spend the night in these tents after a long walk and get ready for next day half a marathon. That is
some commitment to cause. Somehow my back focus issues don't seem to be that important anymore... :)

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

A fantastic effort and achievement - well done to all invoked, and nice picture Sury :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Thank you all for your kind words. This one epitomizes the giving spirit of humanity.
This couple have walked for 16 walks, for 1630 miles and raised about $250K and
are retiring from walking due to old age. The wife is a breast cancer survivor for 13 years.
After her marathon walk, my wife was humbled by what this couple did and that served
as inspiration for her to get up in the morning and walk.