Tradgedy and Triumph

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Tradgedy and Triumph

Unread post by Dusty »

Here is a couple of photos showing the pain and worry we're going through - I actually live in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson, the one on the news all the time now. I live 1/2 mile from the shooting and protest epicenter, and 4 blocks from where looting has taken place.

We are safe, the wife and kids staying at a friend's, myself at home vigorously exercising my 2nd Amendment rights.

In all of this, Our friend Al Watson and his co-worker Lia just won the Next Great Baker reality show/contest! Al and his family go to Church with us and had to keep the results secret until the final show, tonight. I'm not even sure his wife knew the final results!

Every Tues. night at a local restaurant, Al holds court and people watch that weeks show. We normally don't go, but I took three of my girls last week for a double show and Al was more than happy to pose with them afterwards. Tonight while I was at a meeting, the final show was on and my girls called to say he won!

Here's some pics.
QT3.jpg
(116.29 KiB) Downloaded 1273 times
The burned out Quick Trip gas station always shown on the news.
Reds.jpg
(104.31 KiB) Downloaded 1273 times
Red's BBQ

And the Triumph!!!
NGB_and_Girls.jpg
(258.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Al Watson, the Next Great Baker, with Emma, Elizabeth and Samantha (Lilly didn't come that night)

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Tradgedy and Triumph

Unread post by sury »

Dusty,
Very glad to know you and your family is safe and sound. I did not realize you are that close to
all that mayhem in Ferguson.
NGB was a great shot. Is it Emma with her head tilted? I like it a lot.
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Thank you, Sury.

Yes that's Emma. don't know what she was trying to do, but it works!

More tragedy from one of the live-feed blogs: "Just saw a journalist drop a gigantic L lens on the KMOV livestream. Glass everywhere. Yikes, I hope that wasn't a rental lens."

As if looting wasn't bad enough!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

I know. At least with the looting some one else is enjoying albeit illegally and immorally.
Dropping of the lens.... that is a catastrophic loss. :lol: At least no one is hurt in the
process.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

I'm sorry that you are caught up in all of that mayhem there in Fergueson. (I was thinking of a word to describe the situation, and Sury provided it for me.) Conragats to your friend on winning the show. I'm glad that there is such a bright spot for you and your friends and family in this trying time.
Glad to know you and yours are safe.

John
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Stay safe Dusty!

Congratulations to your friend :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.