Oncidium Orcid

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Pitter
Grand Caliph

Oncidium Orcid

Unread post by Pitter »

I don't know the species but it's common in my woods. I used "scene" mode and "macro" for the photo. My impression is that "macro" produces a very shallow depth of field.
Attachments
022 cc  s .jpg
022 cc s .jpg (146.2 KiB) Viewed 3452 times
Sony a6000 with 1.8 24 mm
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Oncidium Orcid

Unread post by sury »

Pitter,
I like the separation and the orcids are a bit soft on my monitor.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Pitter
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Pitter »

I agree (and I meant to post this on the flowers thread...oops). I used a tripod and autofocus on the 24mm 1.8 lens. I had hoped I could use the combo to replace my much heavier Canon 50D with 100 macro and 580 flash but I'm thinking not.
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Kalainen »

You don't mention what kind of aperture you have used, but usually you want to shoot with relatively small aperture (f/10 - f/16) when working with macro images. This will give you a better depth of field. The flower itself is nice, but could use a bit more pop - you could also try vivid mode (or what it is called).

-Toni

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Year of the Alpha - 52 Weeks of Sony Alpha Photography: http://www.yearofthealpha.com
Flickr-account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/109262328@N06/
Pitter
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Pitter »

Thanks Toni. As I said I was using the camera's "macro scene mode" to see what it would do with the 24mm 1.8 lens. With my Canon setup with which I can use a fully adjustable flash unit I close the lens way down for macro shots like that, just as you suggest.