A99-2

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: A99-2

Unread post by sury »

Good to know. Is the CA that bad? The purple fringe has many work around solutions, I thought.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

sury wrote:Good to know. Is the CA that bad? The purple fringe has many work around solutions, I thought.

Sury
No, not so big, not so bad.
CA appear only in a strong back light.
I think it's the old lens coating affects. Removed quite easily in the LR, in C1 it's not bad, but not perfect.
Another problem is unusual grip. It's the fixed mount for a tripod. A little fiddling with a covered by paint the small screw, I managed to remove this mount and everything fell into place :) There are no more problems with shooting. It more looks like my habit to hold the lens and the camera. :) Other than that, I very happy with this lens
Everything in the life unusual!
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

ValeryD wrote: I found the information about Minolta 80-200 in Dpreview, Dyxum and many others , just wondering if some one in this forum had the experiences with Minolta 80-200. The reason I ask, because the Sony support say this lens doesn't have internal support in a99-2, a77-2, no CA correction, no other correction too. I have to find right software for converting RAW files and edit JPG files. So far LR and DxO does good correction CA, C1 not work with JPG files. :( and not so good with CA correction in RAW too.
Latest LR 7.* works not bad, but anyway slow.
Free Topaz Studio has not bad correction CA.
I think that when Sony says that the A99-2, A77-2 have no internal support making corrections to this lens they are talking about with jpegs. These days many cameras (also m4/3) do automatic CA, distortion, corner shading, etc. corrections for jpegs with supported lenses. Raw though is usually raw so all of those corrections are done in the raw converter using its lens profiles on your computer.

I suspect the the current LR and many other raw converters have a lens profile for this lens. Note that this lens was designed and made for film and before computer correction. It is probably optically corrected pretty well already.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I have had the Minolta 80-200 HS for a quite a number of years but have only had the Sony A99-2 for a few weeks ( end of financial year sale on current stock with 20% discount ).

Most of the time I have been using the Sigma 24-105 zoom and the 70-400 as well, usually with with DXO Photo Lab.

Usually these days I have been using the the E mount 70-200 / 4.0 as it is more convenient as f 2.8 is not necessary for my type of shooting with the A7rII and A7rIII. As I picked up the r III in the same sale, I have actually using this more often so far in what has been a pretty miserable winter so far. Not really much wetter or colder but extremely erratic conditions and plenty of high wind gusts.

I am just getting used to these cameras with the DXO stuff so I haven't actually been using Capture 1 at all recently.
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

Henry, Peterottaway, Thank you!
So far so good.
I have some picture from the trip with my grandchildren. (a99-2 + Minolta 80-200) :)
WEB0003.jpg
WEB0091.jpg
WEB0027.jpg
Last edited by ValeryD on Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

Very good and fast AF! I like it!
WEB0056.jpg
WEB0065.jpg
WEB0023.jpg
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Love the family (of) shots Valery. Beautiful subjects.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

sury wrote:Love the family (of) shots Valery. Beautiful subjects.

Sury
Thank you! :)
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I especially like the 2nd photo!
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

bakubo wrote:I especially like the 2nd photo!
thank you! :)
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

The second photo is also my favorite.

- Tom -
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

UrsaMajor wrote:The second photo is also my favorite.

- Tom -
thank you! :)
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Lovely set of photographs, ValeryD. :)

I like them all and love the composition and the emulation in the 2nd photo but I can't pass the 'girls-in-flight' shots of the lovely young ladies. :D Therefore, the last two grasped my undivided attention. Anything that can fly or attempts at flying is already a winner for me. :D

Nice captures. I like how fast the auto-focus was able to freeze the motions of the subjects. (I'm fine, I won't give in to the lens' attractions.:) )

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

aster wrote:.

Lovely set of photographs, ValeryD. :)

I like them all and love the composition and the emulation in the 2nd photo but I can't pass the 'girls-in-flight' shots of the lovely young ladies. :D Therefore, the last two grasped my undivided attention. Anything that can fly or attempts at flying is already a winner for me. :D

Nice captures. I like how fast the auto-focus was able to freeze the motions of the subjects. (I'm fine, I won't give in to the lens' attractions.:) )

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
Thank you!

:D
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Great shots Valery, wonderful colours. ツ