Hawaii photos and my website

Do you have a pBase or Flickr gallery? Stage your show here with links.
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Hawaii photos and my website

Unread post by bakubo »

bossel in this thread requested that I post some Hawaii photos:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =17&t=1369

But, I thought it better to not hijack that thread. I'll post them in this new thread instead. I have a few in this post, but many more can be seen in the Hawaii folder in my gallery:

http://www.bakubo.com

I invite anyone to take a look at the photos in various folders in my gallery (not just the Hawaii photos) and make comments. :)

Here are a few Hawaii photos:

Last edited by bakubo on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Hawaii photos and my website

Unread post by Javelin »

I've been through your galleries a few times. I'm always inspired. and in awe of your travel history.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Javelin wrote:I've been through your galleries a few times. I'm always inspired. and in awe of your travel history.
And that goes for me too, Henry. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Hi Henry,

great pics, you captured the action very well!!

Thomas
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.

Yes, I like to travel, but I don't really spend all that much money on it since I prefer to travel close to the ground, carrying a backpack, staying at guesthouses/small hotels/hostels/etc., using public transportation, and so on. Lately the plane tickets are more expensive because of the fuel charge and baggage fees. Both were added when the price of fuel was so high, but now that it has dropped to half the charges are still there. Like new taxes, whenever new fees get added it is unlikely that they will ever go away. :(

By the way, has anyone here been to the Philippines? I found a pretty good price for a plane ticket to Manila from Hawaii and, I think, traveling in the Philippines is probably pretty inexpensive. My wife is away visiting her family for awhile so I am feeling bored. Any thoughts about the Philippines? Interesting place? I feel the urge to do some photography in a new place.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

That was my favourite way to travel before I got married... i'd just show up in places that interested me. Wifey would be horrified if I ever tried to take her on a trip like that. I never really flew anywhere though. always driving. Now I HAVE to tavel for work .. and I hate it. I spent a week in Chicago earlier this month and never had a chance to get out to take pictures.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Javelin wrote:That was my favourite way to travel before I got married... i'd just show up in places that interested me. Wifey would be horrified if I ever tried to take her on a trip like that. I never really flew anywhere though. always driving. Now I HAVE to tavel for work .. and I hate it. I spent a week in Chicago earlier this month and never had a chance to get out to take pictures.
I usually have no particular plans or itinerary when I travel. Sometimes I even only have a one-way plane ticket so that I have even more flexibility. I love road trips too. In 1999 we set off on a 9-week road trip throughout the western U.S. We visited pretty much all the national parks and many national monuments, sometimes tent camping, sometimes staying in motels. We stayed off of the interstate highways as much as possible and took lots of backroads visiting small towns, etc. In those 9 weeks we drove 12,500 miles/20,000 kilometers -- my recollection is that gasoline was about $1/gallon then. :) We have done many road trips of several weeks, but that was the longest.

In a previous life I worked in the computer industry for about 20 years and during the 1980s and 1990s I did a fair amount of business travel. I usually tried to arrive a couple of days early and then after the business stay a couple more days before heading home. That way I generally had 3-4 free days. When I lived in Silicon Valley that is what I did on trips to Boston, Seattle, New York City, Chicago, Austin, Nashua, etc. On a business trip to the south of France in 1994 I arrived 2 days early and then after the week long meeting was over I traveled in Italy for 4 weeks.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Thanks, Sonolta, for the Philippines info. With all the economic mess and the stock markets crashing it is prudent to consider spending money carefully, I think. I am not sure I want to use the money right now so I need to continue thinking it over.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Here are a few more Hawaii shots. :)

The rain is coming down pretty good:

Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Wow, the last 2 shots are just gorgeous, very dramatic. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I'm liking that surf-board shelter in the last set. It's unusual and honest.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Dr. Harout wrote:Wow, the last 2 shots are just gorgeous, very dramatic. :D
Thanks, Doc! I tend to like getting people photos better while I am walking around, but sometimes do a bit of nature stuff too. That last photo was taken with the A700 and then I converted to B&W using the channel mixer.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

KevinBarrett wrote:I'm liking that surf-board shelter in the last set. It's unusual and honest.
Thanks. I thought it was sort of funny because I saw her get out of the water, carry her surfboard onto the beach, and then get under it to try and stay out of the rain. She was already wet. :) I suppose she was a bit cold though. Actually, I was soaked too. I was walking around in the rain with my A700 in a plastic bag. I would take it out from time to time to get some shots and try not to let it get too wet. I didn't have an umbrella. :)