Three years of landscape photography with Sony A900

Do you have a pBase or Flickr gallery? Stage your show here with links.
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
aformaphoto
Initiate

Three years of landscape photography with Sony A900

Unread post by aformaphoto »

Hello,
I was at a still with my posts. Some years ago, in my last posts, I was reporting about testing my (then new) A900 with an array of Minolta AF lenses. I was out in the last months in an attempt to take an advantage from the increased image quality, sharpness and tonal range.

I have upload to my pbase site a portfolio of photographs taken with A900:
http://www.pbase.com/aformaphoto

There are some portfolios taken with Minolta cameras on Fujichrome slide film and a portfolio taken with NEX-7, too.

I hope you will enjoy.
aformaphoto
Initiate

Re: Three years of landscape photography with Sony A900

I forget to mention: I shoot in RAW mode and then I process with Capture One 6.x
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

nice work. I like specially this one: http://www.pbase.com/aformaphoto/image/144926966
BTW, what lens did you used on the NEX7?
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
aformaphoto
Initiate

Thank you very much!

On NEX-7 when I'm in the outdoors, devoted in some hard trekking, I make use of the kit lens 18-55 OSS, because is very portable and does have the antishake sistem. But speaking about image quality, sharpness on corners, especially at the wide end of the zoom isn't in pair with center and difference is visible sometime. I make use of better Minolta lenses by LEA-2 adapter when I need a critical sharp picture and in such case the NEX-7 is a true gem.

The Minolta AF APO Tele 300 mm f/4 + Minolta TC II 2X teleconverter gives me very sharp picures on NEX-7, but is almost useless on A900 because even with mirror lock-up the shutter of the reflex isn't so quiet like NEX-7 one and almost all pictures taken with the bigger camera are blurred!
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

aformaphoto wrote:Thank you very much!
My pleasure...
aformaphoto wrote: On NEX-7 when I'm in the outdoors, devoted in some hard trekking, I make use of the kit lens 18-55 OSS, because is very portable and does have the antishake sistem. But speaking about image quality, sharpness on corners, especially at the wide end of the zoom isn't in pair with center and difference is visible sometime.
Yep. Capture One doesn't allow you to fix CA? LR4 does a wonderful job...
aformaphoto wrote: The Minolta AF APO Tele 300 mm f/4 + Minolta TC II 2X teleconverter gives me very sharp picures on NEX-7, but is almost useless on A900 because even with mirror lock-up the shutter of the reflex isn't so quiet like NEX-7 one and almost all pictures taken with the bigger camera are blurred!
Hum... I guess you are shooting on a tripod, right? did you try leaving the AS ON, even on a tripod?
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
aformaphoto
Initiate

Yes Capture One removes the CA, but center remains sharper than corners. When shooting videos the 18-55 in unvaluable at 18 mm with NEX-7 suspended on a stabilizer: walking and panning the motion pictures are so smooth. But on still images there are better choiches. Even the Konica-Minolta DT 18-70 mm f/3.5-45 on LEA-2 is sharper than 18-55 E zoom.

I have a tripod and a ball head very strong, but the A900 never gave (AS on or off) the same sharpness the NEX-7 gives me at 600 mm. I think the NEX electronic shutter courtain makes the difference.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Very nice series of pictures - a great advert for Sardinia as well - beautiful scenery :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Aformaphoto,

Glad you are back. The galleries are most enjoyable indeed. I think each photo is exceptional. Nicely worked.

Thanks for saring,

Yildiz