Hello from Colorado

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Hello from Colorado

Unread post by jcoffin »

Well, a few of you have already seen a few of my pictures, but somehow I haven't gotten around to introducing myself. I'm Jerry Coffin, and I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA. Colorado Springs is right on the edge of the Rocky Mountains and, particularly, Pikes Peak -- so as you'll probably find, my (current) photographs tend to feature a lot more mountains and streams than larger bodies of water like seashores or lakes (virtually all lakes near here are man-made). Previously, however, I lived in South Dakota, which was much flatter and generally had a lot worse weather -- which isn't always fun, but can make for great skies in the pictures. When/if I find where I hid my slide scanner, I might even be able to post a few of those. I'm currently in the process of building a new house, so I'm living in an apartment ("flat", if you prefer), and almost anything that isn't necessary on a day to day basis has been put into storage until sometime around March or April of 2009 (hopefully not any later than that anyway...)

I've been fiddling with cameras off and on almost since I learned to walk. My dad studied at the Germaine School of Photography (New York City), and passed the "bug" onto a couple of us children. After a series of other cameras, I bought my first Minolta (a Maxxum 9000) in early 1988. I was happy enough with the results that I've been shooting a series of Minoltas ever since. My lens collection reflects the time period as well, going back to a number of the first generation Maxxum/Dynax lenses like the (pre-G designation) 35/1.4, a 28/2.8, and a 135/2.8. Some of the glass is a bit more recent, but so far I've resisted the siren call of anything that said "Sony" or "Zeiss" on it.

As far as my pictures go, they tend primarily toward scenery/landscapes, some macros (the usual flowers, bugs, etc.) and every once in a while, some sports. Recently I've been playing around with producing some relatively large panoramas -- though I still need to find a printer that can handle them at full size -- I have a roll holder for my Epson, but the driver limits the length to 40 inches or so (about a meter) and some of the panoramas are more than twice that.

Having bored you for that long, I feel obliged to add a picture. This is from late September of 2005 (with no post processing other than resizing):
PICT0942a.jpg
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Hello from Colorado

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Beautiful and superb shot Jerry.
Though I welcomed you somewhere else in this forum, allow me to welcome you again. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

Hi Jerry - Welcome

Its been a lifelong ambition of mine to attend the Pikes Peak Hill Climb with my camera - but I doubt that we'll ever make it there. Also - although I've been a WRC fan for years and have hundreds of rally photos, I must say that there have been only about two shots that I considered good - a rather poor record :(

Anyway - enjoy the forum

regards - Peter
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

dewarp wrote:Hi Jerry - Welcome

Its been a lifelong ambition of mine to attend the Pikes Peak Hill Climb with my camera - but I doubt that we'll ever make it there. Also - although I've been a WRC fan for years and have hundreds of rally photos, I must say that there have been only about two shots that I considered good - a rather poor record :(
Thanks for the welcome. I've never tried to shoot WRC, but I'd have to guess it's one of the most difficult "targets" imaginable -- thing that move very quickly, and all too unpredictably. In a lot of cases you'd also just about have to camp out ahead of time to get to what are probably some of the best places to get a shot. All in all, a low percentage of good pictures is hardly surprising no matter how good you are.

In case you care to look, in the "Give it your best shot" thread, I just posted a panorama that includes Pikes Peak as its centerpiece...
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Welcome jcoffin, :D

It's great to see someone dedicated to panorama shooting and printing. Definitely requires a great subject with good overall value including the surrooundings.
I saw your recent posts in an other thread and they look very nice.

Yildiz
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Jerry, I have to hijack your thread as I noticed the new rank of Aster (Yildiz).
To Yildiz: congratulations. Wait a while and you'll see the magic. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Dr. Harout wrote:Jerry, I have to hijack your thread as I noticed the new rank of Aster (Yildiz).
To Yildiz: congratulations. Wait a while and you'll see the magic. :D
!.!.!
It must have promoted itself around my 241st post or so, I only noticed this when I saw the 242nd post!

So you say Dr. Harout, so you say... :D
I began to believe that you had some serious talking done with Santa Klaus. May I enquire as to the list of Alpha-compatiple items you listed to him to be dropped down my personal chimney please? You know, I just might add a few more or take a few out to replace some.... :D :D

Let fate's works begin!

Yildiz

ps. My apologies Jerry.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Welcome! Colorado is a beautiful state. My wife and I camped at Mesa Verde NP, Great Sand Dunes NM (now it is a NP), and Rocky Mountain NP in 1999 and then in 2002 we camped again for 2 weeks at Rocky Mountain NP. Just a few days ago we were talking about the next time we are on the mainland we want to go on another road trip and one of the places we would go is Colorado.