Hello from Selby, near LEEDS!!......LOL

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
DenisG
Acolyte

Hello from Selby, near LEEDS!!......LOL

Unread post by DenisG »

Just a quick Hi from Selby. Minolta user for 40+ years, currently using the 7D and Alpha 100. I still love and use (very occasionally!)......

Purchased in Vicar Lane, LEEDS! a lot of years ago.

It gets a little wet up here too, those local to that city will know this little spot. http://www.denisg.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=21

Denis.
Carlj
Heirophant

Unread post by Carlj »

That would be Fairburn Ings? Renowned wetlands living up to its name? :)
AndyG
Acolyte

Unread post by AndyG »

You've got me there Denis, I can't remember a camera shop on Vicar Lane - my aging brain cells need a refresh!

I do however recognise Fairburn - it's not far from home as we're near the M1 to the east side of that well known city beginning with L :-)

Cheers,

Andy
DenisG
Acolyte

Unread post by DenisG »

It was a second hand shop next door to the pub (long gone now) where Status Quo appeared around 10 or so years ago. Mainly did sound equipment. I think they are on the lower end of The Headrow now.

Yes, it is indeed Fairburn Ings. That sure was a heck of a lot of water above the normal level.

Denis.
DenisG
First get a pic, if it's still there......compose one!
Photo's at http://www.denisg.co.uk/gallery
AndyG
Acolyte

Unread post by AndyG »

Ah, right - I know where you mean.

The pub was nameless for a while, became known as 'The Pub With No Name' and I think ended up as the Duchess of York until it closed down. Didn't see Quo there but it was certainly one of the dwindling number of live music venues in Leeds (I remember when the Haddon Hall had a music room, and went to many a gig at Viva's Wine Bar in my youth!). Tool of choice for bands was an XD7 with Vivitar Series 1 28mm f/1.9 and Ektachrome 400 pushed two stops. Set to 'S' and 1/60 sec. and try not to spend too long next to the speaker stack...

Cheers,

Andy
DenisG
Acolyte

Unread post by DenisG »

LOL.................Same gear, didn't part with the XD7's until I went digital. Found no reason to upgrade :)

I did stand near the speaker stacks, I'm partially deaf now!!

Quo were amazing. I used to work just a couple of doors down from the Duchess and knew the landlord who got us in for free. Those Quo guys do it 'cos they love it.

There was another good live music pub along the road from the bottom of the Headrow (where all the motor dealers and Maplins are), can't remember its name but I do remember it sold a mean pint of TT's "Landlord Bitter"...................which is probably why I can't remember it's name....................LOL........

Still proud of the fact that I'm Durham born & bred though :wink:

Denis.
DenisG
First get a pic, if it's still there......compose one!
Photo's at http://www.denisg.co.uk/gallery
Gordon McGeachie
Acolyte

Unread post by Gordon McGeachie »

Hi Dennis.

I would have said that Selby was nearer York.

I live in Gilberdyke near Howden, nice to know that ther is someone `local` on here.
Old Photographers Never Die, They Just Go Out Of focus

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gordon_mcgeachie/
AndyG
Acolyte

Unread post by AndyG »

Selby probably is nearer York - and is actually in North Yorkshire despite being south of most of West Yorkshire...

Back to the pub recollections, there are a couple of pubs in that general area - the New Roscoe and the Eagle. If it had decent Taylor's then it'd be the Eagle. Both either do or have done live music.

Cheers,

Andy