Greetings from Florida

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
Doug
Acolyte

Greetings from Florida

Unread post by Doug »

Hello to all,

I just joined after looking around for awhile. I am fairly new to digital photography and wishing to learn. I have no formal education in photography and consider it a hobby, one that I hope to spend more time with.

My current camera is a Knoica/Minolta 7D. I have already experienced FFB and sent the camera in to be repaired. Other than that this camera is great. It is so user friendly and everything is very easy to reach.

I look forward to making some new friends, sharing ideas and learning new things
Doug
Carlj
Heirophant

Unread post by Carlj »

Doug,
Glad you took the plunge - a good bunch here!

Nice choice of body, especially with the A700 looking a worthy successor!

Carl
Doug
Acolyte

Unread post by Doug »

Hi Carl,

I do like the 7D but I'm not having to much luck getting the photos I want. I just spoke with a pro about the lenses I have and it didn't go to well. I was told that the Tamron 28-105 f-2.8 wasn't a very good lens for taking sharp photos. I guess I'm going to have to invest in some better glass.

As for the A700 I'll have to see how they perform. I was really hoping that K/M would have come out with a 9D before they sold to Sony, but who knew that was going to happen. I also have a Maxxum 9 film body that I like very much.
Doug
Carlj
Heirophant

Unread post by Carlj »

Tamron lenses aren't necessarily that bad, stopped down, my 70-300mm takes great macros, and just getting used to the 200-500mm now. Try stopping the aperture down, remembering that raw files are inherently softer and add a little sharpening in post processing.
Doug
Acolyte

Unread post by Doug »

Hi Carl,

I'll give your suggestion a try, thanks alot.

Someday I would like to get a long lens to do some nature or auto racing shots.
Doug
Carlj
Heirophant

Unread post by Carlj »

I'd consider looking at a fast 70-200mm, preferably f2.8, and add in a 2x teleconverter - giving you 400mm f5.6 - perfect for both subjects!
Carl
Doug
Acolyte

Unread post by Doug »

Hi Carl,

Again thanks for the advice. What brand lens would you consider? I have used a Sigma 16mm fish eye on my Maxxum 9 and really liked the results. But when used on the 7D with the 1.5 factor results changed, took the uniqueness out of the shot.

The Sigma was all metal construction and felt well built, that's why I ask.
Doug
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

We have just been trying out the Sigma 8mm and it nearly covers the A100 sensor - same effect as the 16mm on full frame. You have to crop the corners of the shot slightly.

David
Carlj
Heirophant

Unread post by Carlj »

TBH Doug, I've no experience with fast lenses due to budgetary concerns, but a recent UK magazine tested the Sony flavour and loved it - fast, firm assured AF and build quality. Others have told me that the Sigma too, is a good budget alternative.
Doug
Acolyte

Unread post by Doug »

Hi David and Carl,

Carl, I too am on a budget, I watch the "White Lenses" on eBay and can only wish.

David, If I'm not mistaken doesn't the 8mm give you a circular photo and that's the reason you have to crop it?
Doug
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

The circle just clips the corners of the 1.5X sensor.

David
Doug
Acolyte

Unread post by Doug »

David,

I didn't think of that but it does make sence. Could you post a photograph taken with the 8mm before it's croped?
Doug
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Doug wrote:David,

I didn't think of that but it does make sence. Could you post a photograph taken with the 8mm before it's croped?
Wouldn't do much good as we have the 8mm on the Sigma SD14 camera - which has a 1.7X sensor, and the circle nearly covers that entirely. There is some more cropping to be done on a 1.5X sensor. I don't have the Sigma 8mm for Alpha mount.

David