Welcome to our Forums

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
smiller

Re: Welcome to our Forums

Unread post by smiller »

David,

Just signed up today.
Read a few of you articles and liked your points of view so thought I'd come in and see what I can learn here.
I have a 7s and 7 film cameras, used to have the 7i and 7HI then bought the KM5d and have been very satisfied with Minolta equipment.
Lenses I have are the KM 11-18 DT, 18-70 Kit, 50 f1.7, Tamron 24-135, Min 70-210 f4, 100-300 APO and Tokina SD-ATX 400.

I live in eastern Idaho, USA close to Yellowstone Park and Grand Tetons so photos of wildlife and landscapes dominate my hobby.

Good to be here and hope to contribute in the future.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

smiller wrote:David,
Just signed up today.
Read a few of you articles and liked your points of view so thought I'd come in and see what I can learn here.
I have a 7s and 7 film cameras, used to have the 7i and 7HI then bought the KM5d and have been very satisfied with Minolta equipment.
Lenses I have are the KM 11-18 DT, 18-70 Kit, 50 f1.7, Tamron 24-135, Min 70-210 f4, 100-300 APO and Tokina SD-ATX 400.
I live in eastern Idaho, USA close to Yellowstone Park and Grand Tetons so photos of wildlife and landscapes dominate my hobby.
Good to be here and hope to contribute in the future.
Would love to see your pictures David of Idaho
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
AlanS

Unread post by AlanS »

We have met in the past, both at Club meetings in Edinburgh, and most recently at the International Caravanning Rally at the Border Union showground. I have been a Minolta user for many years,first with film cameras (7000i and 9000) then compact digital (Dimage S414) and currently use a 5D DSLR. I have been a member of the local Camera Club for 23 years, and my main photographic interest is landscape.
Dr. Harout

Welcome on board Alan :D

Flickr
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

My name is John Peter. I live in Scotland and used to enjoy David Kilpatrick's participation in the DPForum debates. Since he has left I have found the quality deteriorating and have decided to join this Forum, where the entries seem to be more to the point with less agitation. I am really an old "amateur" having spent all my working life in the engineering business. I have used Minolta equipment since 1967 when I purchased a SRT101 with a 50 mm F1.7 supplemented with Tamron 28 & 200 mm lenses. Since then I have moved through the models up to no less than five X700s with a variety of lenses. I then moved to the Sony R1 as I was wary of sensor dust. I loved the R1 apart from the OVF and the slow RAW processing. My son is using it now. Having retired I have submitted to Alamy for four years and have managed to get 2,300 available on sale so far. I now use the A700/CZ16-80 and an A350 plus a Sigma 10-20 and Tamron 18-250 mm. They all seem to provide the goods so to speak.
I love the A700 but often take along the A350. So often I find that the LV comes in handy when better image view-points can be attained by stretching up/down or out. I currently have but two problems with my new equipment and I have e-mailed Sony about these. No reply yet. My first A350 developed a tendency to flick through all the images on the card after a shot and then would not revert to shooting mode unless I switched off and then on at the main switch. It was returned and now the replacement is demonstrating the same problem despite me using only CF cards in summer temperatures. I am baffled as the A700 and the R1 have never behaved like this. I also have a problem with my 16-80 in that it seems rough when zooming from around 75 to 80 mm. I can even see a slight lateral movement of the barrel. I am not sure if IQ is affected but it is my judgement that the images using this lens are not as sharp as those from my R1, particularly Jpegs at Xfine. I am also surprised by the amount of CA at the corners. Much stronger than the R1 I would say. Fortunately they can be removed in CS3/ACR. This is where the Sony converter lets us down. I do hope that an upgraded version (as good as Canon & Nikon converters) will be released with the FF camera backwards compatible with all Sony DSLRs plus my R1.
Dr. Harout

Welcome to you too John. :D

Flickr
Dr. Harout

Wow, I now have a "Grand Caliph" degree. :shock:

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Watch it, they get worse! It will be several years before you get to a level you will regret!

David
kriskelly128

Unread post by kriskelly128 »

Hi Everyone

My name is Kris in from Glasgow in Scotland.

I have been a amiture photographer for a few years now and now starting up my own photography business.

I have a a350 and a a700 and i was looking for info on the a900 and that's how i found this site.

Cant wait till i get my hands on the a900.

Hope to get to know everyone

Kris
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Kris, if you plan to go into business full-time, keep in touch with my other editorship - Master Photo Digital. We have a very active region of the Master Photographers Association in Scotland and welcome new members, the only condition is a genuine business - full time or effectively full time (there is no problem if a photo business is combined with related work - writing, picture framing, digital post-production services, graphic design etc).

David
Dr. Harout

kriskelly128 wrote:Hi Everyone

My name is Kris in from Glasgow in Scotland.

I have been a amiture photographer for a few years now and now starting up my own photography business.

I have a a350 and a a700 and i was looking for info on the a900 and that's how i found this site.

Cant wait till i get my hands on the a900.

Hope to get to know everyone

Kris
Hi and welcome Kris :D

Flickr
kiwitone

Unread post by kiwitone »

Hi David and fellow forumites, I'm Tony, originally from New Zealand, but I have been living in the U.K. for over 20 years.
I have always taken photos starting from a plastic Diana 7 as a child. My first experience with a minolta was a borrowed XM in the 70's, then a brand new 9000 in 1987.
I started doing local press work in '91 going on through a variety of 7Xi's then a couple of 9Xi's, got my kit stolen in London resulting in starting again in '96... . worked on with the old 9000 (which I still have) then buying two more 9Xi bodies with some sucess in sport photography.
I have worked here in Scotland taking pics of just about everything since.
I joined the digital age last year with a second hand 7D and I LOVE IT! Although after reading your comments on the new sony 900 I've been dreaming about getting one all weekend!
I've only ever met one other pro up this way using K/M kit and have always wished to know more about my cameras.
PhotoclubAlpha appears to be the place where I can learn much more and be a better photographer for it.
I do have some nice lenses but all pre sony and use manual focus for my sport and aviation photography.
my kit now:
Km 16mm,20mm,50mm,100mm all 2.8 Sigma 70-210/2.8 KM 300/2.8 with 2x apo converter.
2x 9xi,dynax7,Km7D.5600hss flash.
well thats me;looking forward to contributing and learning! smiles from kiwitone
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Well, you have all the optical kit ready for the Alpha 900! And, if you did, as a 7D user you would find the 900 very familiar. They really have kept faith with Minolta - as you have, and many of the rest of us. At the Alpha 900 conference one of the Japanese who did not know who I was asked me what camera system I used. I had an Alpha 700 round my neck. I replied 'Alpha'. He said, no, you are a professional, I mean which camera make to do you use for work? I said Alpha! That was amazing. One of Sony's own staff had to be told that someone could have used Minolta professionally since 1974 and stuck with the system!

David
regp

Unread post by regp »

hello from Philadelphia,Pennsylvania---i have both an A700 and a A350.I am an avid photographer of 12+ years.i also have a minolta qtsi!

REGP
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

A Cutsie? They didn't sell those in Europe, but I think we had the same model under a different 'number'. Welcome!

David