Hi!

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
Alamein 300
Initiate

Hi!

Unread post by Alamein 300 »

Hi, I just joined this board and am very excited at what all there is to learn and gather from everyone here! Allow me to share a little bit more info about myself; I am a live sound engineer and am the acting head of the audio department for my company. We do a variety of events from concerts to private parties and everything in between. We travel internationally frequently and have a ton of very cool events we cater to every year. With that being said, it is pretty obvious that photography is the hobby I picked up due to the fact that I am gone from home often, and in addition to that most of my shots are all going to be either based around my work as a sound engineer or a direct derivative there of. I personally don't use any Photoshop or any other software of the sorts due to a personal preference and so force myself to take shots the way I want them the first time :) I will post my Flickr account below as well as a small picture of my setup and I look forward to reading tons and tons of threads!

http://www.flickr.com/sleenen

My Flickr

a700, vg-c70am, Minolta 28mm 2.8, Minolta 50mm 1.7, Sigma 28-90mm 3.5, Sony 75-300mm 4.5, Minolta RS 70-210mm 4.5, Minolta 28-85mm 3.5, Sony 18-70mm 3.5, Minolta 35-105mm 3.5, Minolta 35-70mm 4, Minolta 70-210mm 4
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Hi!

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Hi Sergio, and welcome to the forum. Just gave a quick glance at your site and noticed some really nice and interesting shots. Will get back there at home. Nice to have you with us. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Well, avoid the Nikon D5000 (and any video DSLR) if you want to shoot concerts as HD video ever - the sound pressure just breaks the audio on D5000 hopelessly, the auto gain can't cope with anything over a 100W PA at the other end of a hall. Even live unamplified sound can distort and break up.

Let's hope Sony get the audio aspect right when they make a V-DSLR. Welcome on board!

David
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Welcome! We look forward to sharing with you.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

A big hello and welcome from me as well - nice to have you with us. Nice kit shot. I guess that now we have another audio expert to go with our optics experts :-)

I'm intrigued by your user name - is it a reference to Monty in the desert and Sherman Tanks?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout

Birma wrote:I'm intrigued by your user name - is it a reference to Monty in the desert and Sherman Tanks?
Allow me to make a wild guest: Battle of El-Alamein + 300 Spartans :wink:

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Welcome to the forum! The more the merrier.
Alamein 300
Initiate

Thanks to all for a very warm welcome!! Allow me to attempt to answer as many questions as possible in this one reply.
Dr. Harout wrote:Hi Sergio, and welcome to the forum. Just gave a quick glance at your site and noticed some really nice and interesting shots. Will get back there at home. Nice to have you with us. :D
Thank you sir, please make sure to look through my sets as my photo stream got hit with a big upload of my old road trip and not the greatest pics :)
David Kilpatrick wrote:Well, avoid the Nikon D5000 (and any video DSLR) if you want to shoot concerts as HD video ever - the sound pressure just breaks the audio on D5000 hopelessly, the auto gain can't cope with anything over a 100W PA at the other end of a hall. Even live unamplified sound can distort and break up.

Let's hope Sony get the audio aspect right when they make a V-DSLR. Welcome on board!

David
No worries, I dont do video and make a point of not doing it. I will just keep to myself and sneak around with my 700. Besides my PA's are massive and would certainly give any condenser microphone a run for its money.
Birma wrote:A big hello and welcome from me as well - nice to have you with us. Nice kit shot. I guess that now we have another audio expert to go with our optics experts :-)

I'm intrigued by your user name - is it a reference to Monty in the desert and Sherman Tanks?
Hehehehe, my user name is actually a mixture of a few things. I have always been intrigued by WW2 and one of the less talked about aspects of that was the desert wars in Egypt with Rommel, the British and the American's. The "300" denotation was actually a reference to my Nissan 300ZXTT that I used to own and has just always stuck.
My Flickr

a700, vg-c70am, Minolta 28mm 2.8, Minolta 50mm 1.7, Sigma 28-90mm 3.5, Sony 75-300mm 4.5, Minolta RS 70-210mm 4.5, Minolta 28-85mm 3.5, Sony 18-70mm 3.5, Minolta 35-105mm 3.5, Minolta 35-70mm 4, Minolta 70-210mm 4
Dr. Harout

Alamein 300 wrote:Hehehehe, my user name is actually a mixture of a few things. I have always been intrigued by WW2 and one of the less talked about aspects of that was the desert wars in Egypt with Rommel, the British and the American's.
And the French (Legion etrangere). My father fought at El-Alamein as a legionnaire.

So I was partially right about your user name :D

Flickr
Alamein 300
Initiate

Dr. Harout wrote:
Alamein 300 wrote:Hehehehe, my user name is actually a mixture of a few things. I have always been intrigued by WW2 and one of the less talked about aspects of that was the desert wars in Egypt with Rommel, the British and the American's.
And the French (Legion etrangere). My father fought at El-Alamein as a legionnaire.

So I was partially right about your user name :D
Absolutely and the French!! Crippled during the initial invasion La Resistance was one of the few methods for guerrilla warfare for the French up until they started support in the dessert wars were they kicked some serious rear end!
My Flickr

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Dr. Harout wrote:And the French (Legion etrangere). My father fought at El-Alamein as a legionnaire.
Now that would be an interesting film / book / documentary. I don't suppose your father was as keen a photographer as you are Doc? Pictures of the Legion at Alamein would be fascinating.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout

Birma wrote:
Dr. Harout wrote:And the French (Legion etrangere). My father fought at El-Alamein as a legionnaire.
Now that would be an interesting film / book / documentary. I don't suppose your father was as keen a photographer as you are Doc? Pictures of the Legion at Alamein would be fascinating.
In fact my father was a very well known photographer in Lebanon. One of the founders in many aspects of photography, beginning with photojournalism. Then he passed special courses, thus becoming a repairman of cameras and lenses. :D
I don't know why, but I didn't heed his words concerning cameras and lenses. He disliked C/N, specially the first and when I asked him once (back in the 80s) which lenses he liked best in 35mm SLR, his reply was very quick: Minolta.
As for his battle in Africa, he was decorated with a Medal of Honor in 1969 in Beirut. He was a real hero and a gentleman. Lord, how I miss him.
Believe me, a perfect film can be made from his story from Lebanon to Africa, Italy, Germany, Switzerland border, France from 1941 to 1945.

Flickr