Hello from Switzerland

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
Jasper_D
Heirophant

Hello from Switzerland

Unread post by Jasper_D »

I am an amateur Dutch photographer, started in 1963 with a small Kodak plastic box taking nice 4 x 4cm positives on film.

Won a plastic Agfa in some boy scout contest, which had three settings: flowers, person or mountains, for three different apertures I guess. The shot I remember most, taken with that one, was a beautiful 6 x 6cm positive of a german steam locomotive, on a schooltrip to that country. Unfortunately, the camera disappeared in the Rhine on a boattrip.

I then inherited a Voigtländer Vito B 24x36mm camera from my father- this one had rings for aperture, shutter and distance! - which served me well and got me some bright Kodachrome positives, for over decades - fully mechanical, no batteries nor any other electronic stuff.

My brother gave me his Yashica slr with a set of lenses when he switched to Ricoh, I don´t remember I used it much, nor any pictures I took with it. Much prefered the Voigtländer compact!

Following that, I could at last invest into my first self purchased reflex, being a Minolta Dynax 7000i. Followed years later by a 700si. Those granted me exceptionally bright positives and made me explore self development and printing in the bathroom, on Cibachrome for color prints from diapositives (Kodachrome 25 and 64, Velvia), Illford paper for black and white prints.

Not before 2004 did I put some hasardous steps in the world of digital photography - I was of course still not convinced it could beat film - but a sweepstake at the office on a redundant Sony Mavica MVC-CD500 got me one. I must say I was impressed, very much by the capacity of the (rewritable!) minidisc (53 shots!) but not enough to leave my film cameras behind. It became the standard "always in the rucksack" kind of a compact though, but I kept shooting film for the more serious work... Opinions on that differ of course. :lol:
I decided the 7D was too expensive and still did not match Kodachrome, neither did the 5D of course. I was desparate when (Konica -) Minolta decided to give up and sold to Sony, here I sat with a few lenses and no more future for them! Somehow I didn´t even consider switching - my lenses weren´t that costly - as I always and still love(d) my Dynaxes.
Then Sony brought the α100... Promoted it heavily on every other occasion, I got mine for a fair price in 2006 on a Swiss national trade show, not far from SonyStyle levels - street in Switzerland is usually about 25% lower - but with a five years warranty included (which btw I had to call to the rescue very recently on the 0x5b error issue, service and repair delivered without any problem). I must confess the film cameras hardly ever came out of their closet, in fact only when wanting a wider shot with my Sigma 12-24 than the α100 allowed me to.
I was smart enough (or stupid, my wallet did resent it) to not fall in the trap of buying dedicated (APS-C sensor) lenses, the 3 purchased since have purposefully been full-frame ready, I was about sure it wouldn´t be long and in any case was still thinking of the film Dynaxes. And I was right, am now the proud owner of Sony´s α900 flagship camera, started gathering the funds as soon as it was announced, could buy it much earlier than I thought possible, begin this year, due to its unexpected low price tag (to me anyway). Funny enough, it´s heavier than my film bodies, but who cares?

By now, I have over 15.000 digital pictures in Aperture, more than shot during my whole life before! Meanwhile also discovered SmugMug, mainly used for sharing the bulk with family and friends. Trying to (find the time to) organize public sections also, that´s the hard part; it´s the lowest priority between everything else, I´m afraid. :wink:

Thanks for reading!
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: Hello from Switzerland

Unread post by aster »

Hello Jasper_D,

Welcome to the PhotoClubAlpha Forum! :D

You have lived quite the boy's adventure dream in photography and it was lovely reading through your step-ups.

We'll be more than happy to see your photos when you feel like submitting some to our topics. Please feel free to post any time you feel like it.

Congratulations on your latest addition, the A900. :)

I'm sure our members will soon drop by to further welcome you as well as David Kilpatrick. Just give them some time! :)

Enjoy,

Yildiz
Jasper_D
Heirophant

Thank you Yildiz, it gives a warm feeling to be welcomed! :)
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Welcome to the club and grüezi :mrgreen:
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by 01af »

Gruezi Jasper---how does a Dutch end up in Switzerland? Let me guess ... a woman? ... or the job? (feel free not to reply ;) ) And are you in the French-speaking, German-speaking, or Italian-speaking part of that lovely country?

Jasper_D wrote:... which had three settings: flowers, person or mountains, for three different apertures I guess.
Three different distances actually.

Tot kijk,
Olaf
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

A warm welcome from me as well, Jasper, to Photoclubalpha. It was very interesting to read your history with photography and so thank you for sharing it with us. I look forward to you finding some time to make some of your images public. I think I speak for many of the forum when I say we love to see pictures :D .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Jasper_D
Heirophant

:lol:

Grüezi zusammen!

The woman made me expat myself to France in 1970, but since then she´s loyally following me where I happen to go, I´m sure I didn´t always deserve that! So, it was work actually leading me to the French speaking part of this beautiful country, a long and complicated story but the end destination remarkably worth it. If all goes well, I´ll reach my pension here in slightly less than 2 years, I cannot wait to put my future big teles at work in the surrounding mountains. :D

Tot ziens!

Jasper
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Hello! My good friend Malcolm Whittle, who owns Elinca SA in Lausanne, became Swiss (unusual for UK citizen) for business reasons. I suspect it was the women who kept him there - he's now fast approaching 80 and has a young wife (not his first, or indeed I think his second - not sure) and a very young son!

David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

And a big big hello from me too.
I'm sure you'll like it here as it's a wonderful, cheerful and friendly forum.
Will be glad to see your site(s) or shots posted/linked here.
And as I read from your other post you're a Sigma fan. Out of curiosity, did you encounter any problem with them?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

Jasper_D wrote:The woman made me expat myself to France ...
Salut Jasper!

For you and those here who speak french (I know of Frank, Pako, David a bit, who else?) there are also these two sites specialized on Sony & Minolta:

http://www.alpha-numerique.fr/
http://www.alphadxd.fr/
Jasper_D
Heirophant

Thank you David, dr. Harout and Bossel, I can already sense the friendly approach here!

@David: I have myself decided against changing nationality, I guess for the same reason as UK citizens. Being EU resident with a Swiss permit grants you unlimited access in the whole of the EU and Switzerland, the same is not automatic for pure Swiss residents. So imo, better stay EU resident if you can. Your friend of course probably had no choice.

@Dr. Harout: I know why you ask and to be honest, I must say up front that it has also something to do with affordability, except for the standard prime of course... That said, as nothing really compared to what I purchased when I did, except for the 50/1.4 bought together with the 900, the choice wasn't that difficult. Yes, there were issues, some wouldn't have pursued with the brand! The first I bought long time ago, advised by a pro who obviously had something against Minolta, was a green all metal 70-210/f3.5. Heavy piece of glass, but IQ of my pictures with that one was ab-so-lu-te-ly stunning! Unfortunately, at some point the front elements decided to depart from the whole construction while on holidays. It just dropped off! Into the Mediterranean, as I was shooting some dolphins on our way to Samos... Not really amused at that time!
However, what I couldn't forget was the amazing IQ, so it didn't stop me from the next purchase.
I had another well known disaster with the 20-40/f2.8... Gears stripped, within 6 months of purchase. Something else as well, never got the fine word on that, repair took 3 months because of a piece needed from Japan. Under warranty, but I was not amused again. When it finally came back, it appeared back focusing somewhat, which it didn't before. All others are OK and don't need any micro adjustment, now I was amused.
To be fair, these are two mishaps, but I also had one with a Minolta 50/1.4, so to me that leveled the issue. It suddenly refused to stop down, only pictures full open allowed. Just out of warranty! Repaired for half its price, same not even a year later, but outside the 6 months repair warranty. It's now one of those in the cupboard... :lol:

@Bossel: Merci! 'Alpha numérique' was already in the bookmarks, the other I didn't know.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

bossel wrote:
Jasper_D wrote:The woman made me expat myself to France ...
Salut Jasper!

For you and those here who speak french (I know of Frank, Pako, David a bit, who else?) there are also these two sites specialized on Sony & Minolta:

http://www.alpha-numerique.fr/
http://www.alphadxd.fr/
Count me in too, mon ami. :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Welcome Jasper. I've already look at some of your work. The Sigmas seem to do just fine.

I'm sorry that I'm limited to English and Portuguese with a bit of Spanish thrown in.

Dusty
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I feel so late getting into this thread--welcome to the community, Jasper! Your contributions have been wonderful so far, and I can't wait to see more!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Jasper_D
Heirophant

Not sure I really deserve all those nice words, but it certainly makes me feel welcome. :oops:
I´ll post a link to the Sigma 50/f1.4 samples shortly.